970(s) BURNING HOT

anthonyc813

OK so I made a post the other day about my PC runnign very very hot after swapping out PSU...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439666-corsair-ax760-my-new-oven/#entry5894755

Turns out it was not the new PSU.. I left my PC on for about 30 min and stepped out. When I got back my room was like a oven! I physically opened the side panel and every component was cool except my top GPU!! ITS BURNING HOT!!!! fans are spinning all over and I turned up all the case fans to turbo!

The only thing I can think of is with the new PSU they came with two options for PCI-E cables. A single 8 pin and the kind with two 6/8 pin set ups on a single cable. I used the single cable as it made sense to me and each card has its own dedicated cable. cable  cable I said it again.

AM I using the wrong cable? Should I swap out to the thicker other ones with the two GPU set up? Please help! I been playing all week and no system failure notice anywhere. I will post a pic of what I see in a sec

Remove the bottom card and just run the system with the top card (and/or switch the two cards around). The wires shouldn't be causing this issue. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

-SNIP-

Is your GPU at load?

A single Gtx970 is fine running off of a daisy chained PCI-E cable since it's not crazy high power draw like some other GPU's out there, it is normal for an SLI setup to have the top card hotter.

By "hot" you mean? We need specific temps.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

hot meaning burning to the touch of the top plate. I had this set up for a year and never ever felt heat like this... only till I swapped out PSU

Do you have a measure of the amount, it is normal for the backplate to get hot per say since most have contacts to VRM solder points, DRAM to help cool them.

Try swapping around the cards, experiment with just having one card.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Do you have a measure of the amount, it is normal for the backplate to get hot per say since most have contacts to VRM solder points, DRAM to help cool them.

Try swapping around the cards, experiment with just having one card.

OK I will try changing them and runnign 1 tonight. I never had this issue before and I sit in front of WoW for at least 6 hours a day

now I am having trouble finding card temps on ASUS Suite 3... used to be right there

Use something like HWmonitor, I'm not sure where you would have seen it in AI suite since I've never seen that in there before.

is my PSU bad you think?? bought it black friday and it sat on a shelf for 8 months

From the previous one and this one I don't think so other than a the coil whine being more annoying than anything, try switching it around as soaringchicken suggest and experiment to see if it makes a difference, if it doesn't then I don't think you really have much to worry about as long as the GPU's are cooking themselves.

From the previous one and this one I don't think so other than a the coil whine being more annoying than anything, try switching it around as soaringchicken suggest and experiment to see if it makes a difference, if it doesn't then I don't think you really have much to worry about as long as the GPU's are cooking themselves.

ok thank you. getting a little worried. In no position to buy a new GPU right now. Been gaming for 5 days and today the heat from my case was alarmingly high

-PIC-

this cable does not matter? this kind with two PCI-E connectors on one cable. Always used them until last week. switched to single 8 pin PCI-E

Ideally it's best to run two GPU's off of their own cable, the only difference really if the daisy chained cable would experience more amperage pulled through it since it needs to power both Gpu's through only a single set of conductors. The Strix cards aren't super power hungry though since they are only a single 8 pin card.

Ideally it's best to run two GPU's off of their own cable, the only difference really if the daisy chained cable would experience more amperage pulled through it since it needs to power both Gpu's through only a single set of conductors. The Strix cards aren't super power hungry though since they are only a single 8 pin card.

yeah I figured it would be wise to give each card its own cable. always had it set up that way and tied the extra connector up so the cards don't sag down.

so wait, swapping the cards around. whats that mean exactly? why would one card run hotter if its on top? is the card dying?

so wait, swapping the cards around. whats that mean exactly? why would one card run hotter if its on top? is the card dying?

On an SLI setups it's pretty normal to see the top card even 10C hotter than the one on the bottom since the heat tends to rise up into the other card. With downdraft coolers on the Strix it's basically feeding a fair amount of the heat from the first card into the second one. As long as your temps are still below say around 85C it's still considered safe and not very detrimental to the card over the long term.

On an SLI setups it's pretty normal to see the top card even 10C hotter than the one on the bottom since the heat tends to rise up into the other card. With downdraft coolers on the Strix it's basically feeding a fair amount of the heat from the first card into the second one. As long as your temps are still below say around 85C it's still considered safe and not very detrimental to the card over the long term.

ok thank you for explaining. I am still not comfortable with it being so hot and cannot change it for 2 hours cause Im in the middle of a raid.

I had two cards in crossfire (haha, AMD makes heat, we all know this) and the top one always ran at like 85 degrees while gaming. I managed to fix this bu actually making the reas the intake and the front the exhaust. It knocked 10 degrees off of the gaming temps. Since the backplate is sinking some of the heat, what happens if you put a fan simply on top of the backplate?

Ok I switched the cards around and she's running now. Give a update in like 39 minutes. Thanks again for the help last night

Ok I switched the cards around and she's running now. Give a update in like 39 minutes. Thanks again for the help last night

Where's the update? [emoji14]