[NewEgg] Asus GeForce GTX 970 drops to $288 + free copy of Phantom Pain

Dealzon

Huh. Point taken and considered.  

I'm going contrary, though. I ordered one.  I was satisfied with what Linus had to say about it in his video review.  It's currently the best price on a 970 I saw. The free game helps, too, because my son is a huge Metal Gear fan. (I'll probably also end up buying it for PS4.) 

I'm not really an over-clocker. The i5 my kid has is still at stock speed.  

I have one of the worst 970s on the market (EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0) which has much weaker power delivery than the Strix, but it's still an awesome card to game with. I can only overclock it to 1367 MHz boost (which goes to 1418 MHz in actual gameplay with GPU Boost 2.0) but it's still pretty killer for playing games at 1080p ultra at 60 fps. For $288 a 970 Strix is a steal, hell, an ACX 2.0 EVGA 970 SC would still be a huge steal at that price.

You're making me feel bad about my purchase m8. I felt confident enough after watching Linus' review on it so I went ahead. This will be my first ever build and I don't see myself ever wanting to overclock. Really the only thing i've seen around the web is people complaining about coil wine from the ASUS 970.

I watched the same video.  If you (or I) have one of those "loud" cards, I guess it'll boil down mostly to what case it's going in and how well it can dampen any sound. 

One of our computers has a PowerColor R9 290 AXR9.  It has three fans and the fan noise is noticeable inside an NZXT H440 (a case designed to be quiet)... although, it's not enough to be disturbing.  It's merely there.  If the Strix is similar, it won't bother my kid or me at all.  

However, I'm not looking to put the Strix in another H440. I've actually been keeping my eyes open for a reasonably priced S340.  So, we'll see. 

Either way, it's still a pretty good price for a really good performing video card. And if you're not into Metal Gear, you could probably easily sell the code to effectively make the card even cheaper. 

The better question would be, what does the Strix got that others don't. It's a pretty bad overclocker to do some limitations in either the power delivery, or ASUS used leaky chips. In games like Crysis 3 you need to up the power target to 120% to get the stock boost out of the card..

Fans are pretty subpar too (sleeve bearing, noisy motors, high min. rpm), this used to be ASUS' strong suit, but now MSI uses better ones.

It's an aftermarket 970, so it won't be terrible. But other board manuf. (EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI) all have something that makes their card special. ASUS' card is nothing special, and it's not much cheaper to make up for it.

You're making me feel bad about my purchase m8. I felt confident enough after watching Linus' review on it so I went ahead. This will be my first ever build and I don't see myself ever wanting to overclock. Really the only thing i've seen around the web is people complaining about coil wine from the ASUS 970.

I also just bought a Strix recently cause all of the reviews didn't seem to have any serious negatives D:, kinda wish I just went and bought the GIgabyte instead.

One thing I've really noticed about the Strix is the fans at 40% are noticeably louder than than my old Gigabyte GTX 660.  Fortunately the fans usually don't ramp up that high and overall its a good performance improvement over my 660.

Fuck, i bought this Strix GTX 970 for $330 with no game bundle come with it. 

I also just bought a Strix recently cause all of the reviews didn't seem to have any serious negatives D:, kinda wish I just went and bought the GIgabyte instead.

One thing I've really noticed about the Strix is the fans at 40% are noticeably louder than than my old Gigabyte GTX 660.  Fortunately the fans usually don't ramp up that high and overall its a good performance improvement over my 660.

Yeah the only difference I could tell was some other 970s were higher clocked out of the box than the ASUS 970.

Either way, it's still a pretty good price for a really good performing video card. And if you're not into Metal Gear, you could probably easily sell the code to effectively make the card even cheaper. 

Well i'm definitely looking forward to it since it will be my first graphics card (and build). I've only had the experience of a laptops' Intel Integrated Graphics. 

And I never thought/heard of selling free bundled game codes like that. How would one go about doing that?

And I never thought/heard of selling free bundled game codes like that. How would one go about doing that?

Sell it like anything else. Selling to people you know would be easiest because they'd trust you and wouldn't think that you've already redeemed it.  

When I bought an R9 290 last November it came with Civilization Beyond Earth.  My son already had it, so I sold the code to a coworker for $30.  After the sale price, rebate, and selling the game, it made the 290 $180. :) 

Sell it like anything else. Selling to people you know would be easiest because they'd trust you and wouldn't think that you've already redeemed it.  

When I bought an R9 290 last November it came with Civilization Beyond Earth.  My son already had it, so I sold the code to a coworker for $30.  After the sale price, rebate, and selling the game, it made the 290 $180. :)

I just had the thought that I don't even know how I'll receive the code since the game isn't even released yet. Thanks for the idea - I don't know if I have someone trusted who will want Metal Gear but maybe I can find another way to sell it.

I just had the thought that I don't even know how I'll receive the code since the game isn't even released yet. Thanks for the idea - I don't know if I have someone trusted who will want Metal Gear but maybe I can find another way to sell it.

Ya me either. I suspect it'll be delivered in an email.  (I think the game comes out in a couple days; September 1.)

I feel like I've had one come that way in the past.  I also asked earlier in this thread about it.. some one else alluded to the same thing. 

If you really don't want it, I don't imagine it would be hard to sell. You could even try craigslist.  Just make sure to put in the description that it's not redeemed. 

STRIX GTX 970 owner here. The card sags like a mother, it gets pretty noisy (not loud, but makes a racket), coil whines at any considerable load and power delivery and therefore overclocking sucks. If I went with a G1, I'd probably have two by now, but the Strix is really nothing special.

I like the GTX 970 as a card, but I also have a 4GB GTX 960 and I'm getting ready to buy another one. The GTX 970 will probably end up in my sister's PC since it can handle it and I wouldn't mind having a shorty GTX 660 Ti around.

Interesting that you have had a poor experience with your 970, my 980 Strix has been excellent; upper endish in the pack of 980's in the 3dMark and Valley threads.

*Shrugs*

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I've had a Strix 970 since last December, and I haven't had any issues. Sitting inside a Define R5 with an intake on the bottom blowing right up at it, with the fan's speed pegged to GPU core temp. I never hear it, and it consistently boosts past 1480 (with OC), past 1500 on some games, running at stock voltage (power limit maxed out though). I only get coil while under Furmark or another stress test, not during games.

I will agree that the card is heavy, and therefore sags a bit, but that's any card, and I mitigated much of the sagging my making sure the PCI slot bracket was alighted properly and tightened down all the way. I considered getting a second for SLI when I saw this deal.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

I just got emails from NewEgg at the same time.

One is tracking for the card, the other is "Digital product delivery."  It has a code to use at redeem.geforce.com.

I remember when I was going to buy a GTX970 for $399 when it first came out good thing I got another 760 to wait for Pascal

Pascal will be a let down, sadly. I doubt the 1080 will be better then 980Ti, maybe slightly cheaper at 500-600$.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Man I wish I saw that before I bought a 960 for my second rig :(

Kinda mad that I didn't get anything with my 980Ti back in July

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU