fx 8350 drops to 1375mhz full load

wildgg

my friend is running fx 8350 on stock 4ghz with msi gtx 960 gaming G2 on a ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 and a Cooler Master B500 PSU

when he's gaming most of the time it goes fine but when he tries to stream his cpu starting to drop to 1375MHZ and all cores goes to 100% load.

i'm thinking it's the PSU just being to weak for this build but i'm not sure.

i like to know what you guys think and what might be the problem.

thx in advance

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

my friend is running fx 8350 on stock 4ghz with msi gtx 960 gaming G2 on a ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 and a Cooler Master B500 PSU

when he's gaming most of the time it goes fine but when he tries to stream his cpu starting to drop to 1375MHZ and all cores goes to 100% load.

i'm thinking it's the PSU just being to weak for this build but i'm not sure.

i like to know what you guys think and what might be the problem.

thx in advance

Temperatures on the 8350?

Sounds like thermal throttling to me.

EDIT: Also yes about the VRM not being able to supply enough juice to the CPU

At least a 6+2 or 8+2 Phase VRM is my recommendation 

Also I used to own a 8150 that did the same thing until I reduced heat output and changed the motherboard to one that was capable of supplying more power.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

500w should be enough for that system.

Ask him to run a cpu intensive program like aida64/ cinnebench and report back if the cpu clock drops, or if it only drops when the gpu is also active.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Temperatures on the cpu never went above 60C, il let him check the vrm's and let him stress test the system.

and he also thought it might be the motherboard,

if it turns out it's the motherboard, what do you recomment for a better motherboard for as cheap as posible?

thx

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

Sounds like the motherboard just doesn't have beefy enough VRMs (voltage regulator modules) to supply power to the CPU.

The cheapest motherboard with VRMs good enough to reliably drive an 8 core FX CPU (that isn't a gimped E model) is the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P (and only the UD3P version), although if you're considering replacement it might be time for a platform swap as the FX-8350 is not ideal for gaming.

if it turns out it's the motherboard, what do you recomment for a better motherboard for as cheap as posible?

Gigabyte 970A-UD3P or Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 

Yeah, these are the hidding costs with AMD. 

The PSU is totally fine with his build, its either CPU temp throttling or the VRMs are running into issues, because you should have a 990fx mobo for an fx 8350 according to AMDs webpage!

Turnoff turbocore?

That's a feature that's based on usage with volts/clocks. 

Turnoff turbocore?

That's a feature that's based on usage with volts/clocks. 

it is turned off

The PSU is totally fine with his build, its either CPU temp throttling or the VRMs are running into issues, because you should have a 990fx mobo for an fx 8350 according to AMDs webpage!

That's misleading, not all 990FX boards have 8+2.

Gigabyte 970A-UD3P or Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  are the cheapest alternatives that should be able to run it without throttling.

update:

so we tested the pc with cinnebench and the cpu never dropped once, same with aida64 no drops what so ever.

streaming on 30fps actually works fine, and we're testing more right now.

note: he installed W10 now and everything works already much better.