kinston hyperx 3k vs samsung 840

just looking to finally buy an ssd and cant decide between kingston hyper x 3k 120gb or the samsung 840 120gb (non-pro version), samsung is slightly more expensive and seems to have slower write but has a really good reputation by the looks of it. any opinions would be great thanks

At the moment the only thing I recommend ssd wize is to wait a little for the samsung EVO.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

At the moment the only thing I recommend ssd wize is to wait a little for the samsung EVO.

thats going to be more expensive when it comes out, and i quite like to get it today, so which would you choose between the two?

thats going to be more expensive when it comes out, and i quite like to get it today, so which would you choose between the two?

Again, I would wait.

over here the non pro is actually cheaper and the EVO would be the same price as the Kingston.

Anyway, on paper and on some benchmarks the kingston is faster but its a lot older and still uses sandforce controllers which are not that reliable.

So personally I would still go for the samsung because of the reliability.

But, again, if you can, just wait and see what the EVO does.

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I would get the Kingston HyperX 3K SSD.

Why?

Because they are around the same price (within $2 of each other, according to PC Part Picker in the US). They are about the same performance (Sandforce controllers are a negative, but the actual performance is higher and I believe the Sandforce controllers have been fixed), but here's the clincher: Kingston's SSD's look better.

I'm an Aesthetics guy, so ... yeah. Since they are effectively the same in all other ways, I choose based on aesthetics first and brand loyalty second. I like Kingston products personally (because of the aesthetics), so that's on their side too. 

To each his own.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I would get the Kingston HyperX 3K SSD.

Why?

Because they are around the same price (within $2 of each other, according to PC Part Picker in the US). They are about the same performance (Sandforce controllers are a negative, but the actual performance is higher and I believe the Sandforce controllers have been fixed), but here's the clincher: Kingston's SSD's look better.

I'm an Aesthetics guy, so ... yeah. Since they are effectively the same in all other ways, I choose based on aesthetics first and brand loyalty second. I like Kingston products personally (because of the aesthetics), so that's on their side too. 

To each his own.

I still avoid the older sandforce drives, same price does make it difficult. like I said the samsung is roughly 15-20euro cheaper over here.

i know nothing about ssd's, is sandforce bad, why? whats the difference? surely speed is speed?

i know nothing about ssd's, is sandforce bad, why? whats the difference? surely speed is speed?

Older sandforce controllers have an issue where they can corrupt a drive due to firmware, I believe.

It was a pretty bad problem as almost all SSD's used the controllers, so the odds of getting a bad one were moderately high. 

These days, I doubt it's as much of a concern.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Older sandforce controllers have an issue where they can corrupt a drive due to firmware, I believe.

It was a pretty bad problem as almost all SSD's used the controllers, so the odds of getting a bad one were moderately high. 

These days, I doubt it's as much of a concern.

Yes but keep in mind that the kingston is a old drive for SSD standards. 

Though I have not looked into the kingston to much to blatantly say its controller is bad.

I would just pick the samsung over the kingston to be safe as the 840 is (from personal experience) a very reliable drive.

thank you guys, ill think about it :)

yeah sorry for not being able to give a anonymous definitive answer.

It annoying how pricing vary this much around the world.