Plans to implement LTE service over public, unlicenced WiFi spectrum causes industry debate over interference

kpreg

Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile US plan to boost coverage in their cellular networks by using unlicensed airwaves that also power Wi-Fi equipment. While cellular carriers generally rely upon airwaves to which they have exclusive licenses, a new system called LTE-Unlicensed (LTE-U) would have the carriers sharing spectrum with Wi-Fi devices on the unlicensed 5GHz band.

[R]esearch demonstrates that both LTE-U and LAA would severely decrease the performance of any nearby Wi-Fi network. Widespread deployment of LTE-U or LAA would therefore harm American consumers, schools, and innovators by dramatically reducing the utility of the unlicensed bands for everyone but the companies that already hold licensed spectrum," the NCTA wrote.

Doesn't look so good. Over the last 3 months, I've invested quite a lot to replace my network equipment and devices to support 5Ghz, and the difference I've seen by doing that has been astonishing. LTE is already fast enough IMO and there are several other ways for service providers to increase speeds rather than moving in on public spectrums such as the 5ghz band. But as always, there are two sides to the story;

T-Mobile argued that cable company claims are exaggerated. Claims "that the technology will adversely impact Wi-Fi operations are based on testing with parameters set at extremes that do not represent realistic deployments or do not reflect actual LTE-U specifications," T-Mobile wrote. Qualcomm said its testing shows that Wi-Fi access points often have better throughput when sharing a channel with LTE-U than when sharing a channel with another Wi-Fi access point.

Luckily,

The FCC hasn't made any final decisions yet. In a filing three weeks ago, the commission said the issue is complicated by the fact that they are "potentially four different types" of LTE-U technology because of separate efforts by industry groups and a proprietary version being developed by Qualcomm.

Honestly I really do hope that this doesn't go through. Do you agree?

Source:(ArsTechnica): http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/verizon-and-t-mobile-join-forces-in-fight-for-wi-fi-airwaves/

if if ive made any mistakes please let me know and I will edit ASAP!

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

And here are companies again trying to harm consumers, AGAIN.  -.-

If there are any ways possible to xfer information without using wires or radio waves where consumer application is possible, the person/company who pioneered the technology deserves a fking prize.

I know you can xfer information using light and it's being researched atm but....

Good thread btw.

I produce music!

Ummm... they're not allowed to mess with those spectrums, 2.4GHz and 5GHz are unlicensed public spectrums, it is my right as a citizen to use those spectrums as I see fit. Companies are not allowed to do stuff that would interfere with the public's ability to use those frequencies. If the FCC reviewed case law, they'd remember that less than a year ago, Mariott tried doing this and they were told no, so this should be totally illegal.

And here are companies again trying to harm consumers -.-

If there are any ways possible to xfer information without using wires or radio waves where consumer application is possible, the person/company who pioneered the technology deserves a fking prize.

I know you can xfer information using light and it's being researched atm but....

Good thread btw.

But for light isnt it like

You either see it, it cooks you, or gives you cancer

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Ummm... they're not allowed to mess with those spectrums, 2.4GHz and 5GHz are unlicensed public spectrums, it is my right as a citizen to use those spectrums as I see fit. Companies are not allowed to do stuff that would interfere with the public's ability to use those frequencies. If the FCC reviewed case law, they'd remember that less than a year ago, Mariott tried doing this and they were told no, so this should be totally illegal.

I agree entirely, there must be some legal loophole if it's gone this far that they're exploiting. I'll look into it and update with whatever info I find.

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

We need to replace the 5GHz antennae on our routers and put massive whacking great 20W amplified antennae on them so that our signals aren't drowned out by fucking Verizon and T-Mobile and their bullshit.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/28/5038130/internet-of-light-scientists-achieve-10-gigabit-data-speeds-using-leds

I'm not sure about harming skin, but it states it can't break through walls so I'm thinking it's safe.

Maybe using a plastic cable with mirrors reflecting the light should work?

Since they achieved 10Gbps, it's not a technology without potential.

I produce music!

I thought we invented fibre optic cable technology in the 80s.

hopefully this dumb little idea will sink into the obscurity it came from...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

Well I imagine the light will be much thicker, and the point of the technology is that it is "wireless" so... 

I'm so stupid. I forgot about how fiber optic cables work.

I was suggesting necessarily the same thing.

I produce music!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/28/5038130/internet-of-light-scientists-achieve-10-gigabit-data-speeds-using-leds

I'm not sure about harming skin, but it states it can't break through walls so I'm thinking it's safe.

Since they achieved 10Gbps, it's not a technology without potential.

I thought you meant wireless, thats through wires yea optical cables exist

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

Well I imagine the light will be much thicker, and the point of the technology is that it is "wireless" so... 

I'm so stupid. I forgot about how fiber optic cables work.

I was suggesting necessarily the same thing.

It's easy to forget when it's basically unheard of in America. It's okay dude.

This whole LTE-U thing sounds like it violates a lot of standards, the FCC should stay strict to the recommendations of ITU-R, they exist to prevent exactly these kinds of things from happening.

Personally, I think this is all getting blown way out of proportion. I doubt it will have any meaningful impact on current 5Ghz devices. 

And here are companies again trying to harm consumers, AGAIN.  -.-

Good thread btw.

Hate to break it to you, but the only difference between "radio waves" and light is the frequency. E.g.: http://rfemissions.skmm.gov.my/Images/Electromagnetic-Spectrum.aspx

Unlicensed means you don't need a license to use it... doesn't mean you can't use it if you are business. Mariott was in trouble for blocking access, It had nothing to do with what frequency they were blocking, jamming a signal is illegal.

I've installed several unlicensed 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Adtran microwave hops for Verizon (Alltel markets at the time), they are already all over the country up and running, and have been for at least a decade.

You can do whatever you want with the unlicensed bands, so long as you follow all of this: https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet63/oet63rev.pdf

Which also includes accepting any harmful interference. Its literally wrote in the rules that if someone is legally using the band, you have no power to do anything about it if it causes you issues. Immoral and wrong, yes. Illegal, no.

It's easy to forget when it's basically unheard of in America. It's okay dude.

5Ng57KB.gif

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Personally, I think this is all getting blown way out of proportion. I doubt it will have any meaningful impact on current 5Ghz devices.

Hate to break it to you, but the only difference between "radio waves" and light is the frequency. E.g.: http://rfemissions.skmm.gov.my/Images/Electromagnetic-Spectrum.aspx

Unlicensed means you don't need a license to use it... doesn't mean you can't use it if you are business. Mariott was in trouble for blocking access, It had nothing to do with what frequency they were blocking, jamming a signal is illegal.

I've installed several unlicensed 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Adtran microwave hops for Verizon (Alltel markets at the time), they are already all over the country up and running, and have been for at least a decade.

You can do whatever you want with the unlicensed bands, so long as you follow all of this: https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet63/oet63rev.pdf

Which also includes accepting any harmful interference. Its literally wrote in the rules that if someone is legally using the band, you have no power to do anything about it if it causes you issues. Immoral and wrong, yes. Illegal, no.

That also means using it as a carrier critical band is kinda dumb...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

So did I. However its slow implementation can also be compared to pair gain which was a problem in the 80's (it severely limits available bandwidth as its a trick used to speed up existing copper connections-saving ISP money and screwing over customers) and to this day hasn't been sorted out (aka, networks upgraded to fibre optics).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So did I. However its slow implementation can also be compared to pair gain which was a problem in the 80's (it severely limits available bandwidth as its a trick used to speed up existing copper connections-saving ISP money and screwing over customers) and to this day hasn't been sorted out (aka, networks upgraded to fibre optics).

Pair gain caused so many problems for adsl deployment in oz because Telstra used to to save money on wiring...

Pair gain caused so many problems for adsl deployment in oz because Telstra used to to save money on wiring...

And then refused to even upgrade their 25+ year old exchanges because they are too new. *sigh* its a shame I can't start my own ISP up off my own network. I need to win the lottery and then some.

PMSL

Lol, it seems like everything gives you cancer these days...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Unless you're somewhere that isn't America.

Bastards.

Unless you're somewhere that isn't America.

Bastards.

I'm in Australia - and fuck Telstra.

PMSL

I'm in Australia - and fuck Telstra.

Sorry - Anywhere that is tied in any way, historically, politically or otherwise to America or Britain.

Bastards.

Sorry - Anywhere that is tied in any way, historically, politically or otherwise to America or Britain.

Bastards.

<- From Britain, has Fibre, is cheap, is happy :D

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530