Impedance

hak4fun
Go to solution Solved by KaminKevCrew,

Well I understand the concept of ohms. I just didn't want it to explode my receiver, or my speakers because it couldn't keep up.

That's a very valid concern. Just for future reference, the a/b speaker thing let's you have two sets of speakers that you use on the same receiver. Think of it along the lines of this: you might have some near field speakers that you like to use for when you're at your desk working, but when you want to relax on the couch/in your listening chair (or entertain a party, or whatever), you can switch over to a big set of floorstanding speakers (in this case, set "b") that can play music loud enough for a large group/the whole house to hear them. That's pretty much all the a/b thing is for. (unless you had 16ohm speakers and 2 ohm speakers. Then you would want to use the appropriate speaker terminal.)

I am connecting speakers to my Pioneer SX434. It says is supports from 4 to 16ohm impedence speakers. My speakers are 8ohm. On the back of the reciever it says

"A,B 4ohm or more/speaker

A+B 8ohm or more/speaker"

I do not quite understand this warning... where should I connect my speakers?

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Connect them to the normal spot, 8 ohms is the norm

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Connect them to the normal spot, 8 ohms is the norm

What is the "normal spot"? What I do not understand is the whole A+B thing... 

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

i would guess a+b, for 8 ohms. im not sure they would run at 4 ohms

How would I go about connecting it then... I have 4 connections. RIGHT A, LEFT A, RIGHT B, LEFT B. 

How would I go about connecting it then... I have 4 connections. RIGHT A, LEFT A, RIGHT B, LEFT B. 

good question, try them all, you wont blow your speakers and, post what it is  please, lol

good question, try them all, you wont blow your speakers and, post what it is  please, lol

So what IS the consquence to not connecting it correctly?

I get it now.

Connect speakers to a.

It is saying if you use a, or use b, then speakers must be at least 4 ohms.

If you use a and b (4 speakers) they must be at least 8 ohms

So just connect to a and you will be good

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

So what IS the consquence to not connecting it correctly?

they either wont be very loud or just wont get enough power to work. ohms is resistance, the higher the ohms the more resistance the headphones have. i can't say why its such a big deal with headphones and speakers, i just know about ohms because of physics. 

I get it now.

Connect speakers to a.

It is saying if you use a, or use b, then speakers must be at least 4 ohms.

If you use a and b (4 speakers) they must be at least 8 ohms

So just connect to a and you will be good

Okay, thanks!

they either wont be very loud or just wont get enough power to work. ohms is resistance, the higher the ohms the more resistance the headphones have. i can't say why its such a big deal with headphones and speakers, i just know about ohms because of physics. 

Well I understand the concept of ohms. I just didn't want it to explode my receiver, or my speakers because it couldn't keep up.

That's a very valid concern. Just for future reference, the a/b speaker thing let's you have two sets of speakers that you use on the same receiver. Think of it along the lines of this: you might have some near field speakers that you like to use for when you're at your desk working, but when you want to relax on the couch/in your listening chair (or entertain a party, or whatever), you can switch over to a big set of floorstanding speakers (in this case, set "b") that can play music loud enough for a large group/the whole house to hear them. That's pretty much all the a/b thing is for. (unless you had 16ohm speakers and 2 ohm speakers. Then you would want to use the appropriate speaker terminal.)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Thanks for the explaination!

Thanks for the explaination!

No problem :)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)