Save me please! Can't connect multiple devices on wifi.

So here's the deal. I'm using cable internet, and a very slow one because it's cheap and I'm a student, and they can't give me a wireless router because of that. So they gave me just a modem (pictures provided below). Since I live with my brother we need wifi and have 4 devices (two lap tops and two phones) that we want to connect to the internet.

Then I got a router (picture below). So I pluged the modem's lan cable into the wan port, power ofcourse and I had a connection on one lap top, no other devices were able to connect. So I tried to do some configuration but I'm not that into networking so I don't really know what I'm doing.

Now, we called our service providers to come and inspect the problem multiple times and they told us that it shouldn't be an isue and that they will not send their staf for us. Afrer who knows how many cals and our visits to them they finaly came and didn't know what was the problem so they swaped the modem to another shitty one. And I had internet on ONLY TWO DEVICES... -.- still, better than one.

I called a friend of mine to inspect the isue since he workes in networking company and does this sort of stuf and he didn't even know how to fix the isue. DAMN IT!!!

Now I have returned from my summer break and guess what... I CAN ONLY CONNECT ONE DEVICE AT A TIME AGAIN!!!! OH MY GOD...

If I want to connect another device I need to disconect curently conected one and restart the modem, restart the router and then maybe the other device will be able to connect.

Here I'll provide all info about my setup and if you need more I will do my best to help you to help me solve this isue.

It would be amazing if you felow forum members could help me out.

Here are some pictures and snapshots:

My modem is Scientific Atlanta 2203

post-17756-0-50086000-1440673513_thumb.j

My router/AP is AirLive WL-5470AP

post-17756-0-25800100-1440673470_thumb.j

This is how I gain access to my router (when I do that I can only access my router and don't have an internet connection. I need to revert to dynamic IP addres in order to have internet)

post-17756-0-07301300-1440673517_thumb.p

These are the modes that my router suports (I guess I need to use gateway. AP mode has the same problem, I tryed)

post-17756-0-26575400-1440673526.png

Setting in GW mode

post-17756-0-05035600-1440673522_thumb.p

Now I guess this would be usefull, WAN settings in GW mode

post-17756-0-41073900-1440673532.png

And some stats

post-17756-0-38500000-1440673530_thumb.p

If you need more info I will do my best to provide you with them since I don't know that much about networking.

post-17756-0-25800100-1440673470_thumb.j

post-17756-0-50086000-1440673513_thumb.j

post-17756-0-07301300-1440673517_thumb.p

post-17756-0-05035600-1440673522_thumb.p

post-17756-0-26575400-1440673526.png

post-17756-0-38500000-1440673530_thumb.p

post-17756-0-41073900-1440673532.png

can you try making you're wireless mode to "AP"?

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

if ^^^^ that doesnt work, buy a new router, its crap anyway.

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Hi, when you connect the modem to PC directly, does dhcp assign IP or you have to set correct IP manually on your PC?

edit: ok ill not wait for reply, heres my ideas:
a ) if dhcp works on modem you need to connect it to the switch part of the router (not WAN) and disable dhcp on the router - so the modem assigns IPs through switch

b ) if theres no dhcp on modem, you need to set static ip on the wan port of the router and connect WAN to modem. turn on dhcp on the router (id go for different network, like if WAN IP is 192.x.x.x then dhcp pool on router would be 10.x.x.x)

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

can you try making you're wireless mode to "AP"?

It's the same problem. I can set it to be just AP but still I can't connect more devices.

Hi, when you connect the modem to PC directly, does dhcp assign IP or you have to set correct IP manually on your PC?

edit: ok ill not wait for reply, heres my ideas:

a ) if dhcp works on modem you need to connect it to the switch part of the router (not WAN) and disable dhcp on the router - so the modem assigns IPs through switch

b ) if theres no dhcp on modem, you need to set static ip on the wan port of the router and connect WAN to modem. turn on dhcp on the router (id go for different network, like if WAN IP is 192.x.x.x then dhcp pool on router would be 10.x.x.x)

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.

So how exactly do I see if my modem has DHCP? It only has one lan port on the back of it.

On the last picture I provided it shows LAN Configuration: Fixed IP. I tryed to tinker around with WAN settings but I don't really know what to change. I tryed to set static IP on wan port but then I don't know what IP to set and gateway and the rest.

Sorry I'm borring. I admire your help.

EDIT: now my router does not have lan cable connected to it and I am able to conect my phone and my lap top to it, ofc with no internet but they are connected both at the same time.

I guess your internet works when you connect the cable from modem to your laptop.

These are wifi settings, i want you to post the cable settings on your laptop when youre using cable and internet is working.

I guess your internet works when you connect the cable from modem to your laptop.

These are wifi settings, i want you to post the cable settings on your laptop when youre using cable and internet is working.

Sorry about the language, I translated some parts that you might need.

This is when I connect the lan cable directly from the modem to my lap top.

EDIT: I removed the picture because it was revealing my IP address

So I guess it has DHCP?

Ok, the modem has DHCP but its not private address range so it probably wont be able to assign IPs to all your devices (you might want to delete the image to hide your IP). So I think points of my previous posts arent going to help.

Does the other laptop work when you plug the cable in it? (just in case theres MAC filter).

Im looking in the router settings now. The WAN settings from your picture seem ok, what happens when you connect modem+wan and then lan1+laptop? (make pics of the cable settings again and this again stats.png, try to wait until Internet Configuration section of this image gets IP and other things)

Ok, the modem has DHCP but its not private address range so it probably wont be able to assign IPs to all your devices (you might want to delete the image to hide your IP). So I think points of my previous posts arent going to help.

Does the other laptop work when you plug the cable in it? (just in case theres MAC filter).

Im looking in the router settings now. The WAN settings from your picture seem ok, what happens when you connect modem+wan and then lan1+laptop? (make pics of the cable settings again and this again stats.png, try to wait until Internet Configuration section of this image gets IP and other things)

Yeah I will delete the photo, but I'm not that woried though.

Well it used to, when we didn't have a router we just passed the cable from one lap top to another. It probably works now to but my brother is abroad so I'm unable to try that now. It most likely works because it used to work.

I will post pictures of stats in this post in a couple of minutes, but I only have one lan cable here right now.

I will post pictures of stats in this post in a couple of minutes, but I only have one lan cable here right now.

Yeah i think you can make the router stats screen via wifi

Yeah i think you can make the router stats screen via wifi

OK so here is some more info I might have skipped. In order to get to the setup page for the router I need to set the IP address to the one in the picture below, but then I don't have internet... conection limited it says.

post-17756-0-84618000-1440683329_thumb.p

then I ennter 192.168.100.252 (not 254) in the browser to get to the settings.

If I want internet then I need to set to automatic IP like this

post-17756-0-65574400-1440683400_thumb.p

So this is what you needed.

post-17756-0-02776200-1440683466_thumb.p

Didn't have internet at this point (set to automatic IP but I was able to access the router settings), don't know why but I had to do a factory restart in order to have internet again).

And this is when I was able to connect and use the internet but in order to take a snapshot I needed to set a static IP in those windows settings and here are the stats(I don't think you need them again but here you go anyways):

post-17756-0-92199700-1440683664_thumb.p

I appreciate your help alot.

Lets try different approach. Ill try to write out the router settings.

1. Reset router

2. Mode (top menu) - Gateway

3. WAN Port (Gateway mode setup) - WAN access type: DHCP client, Attain DNS automatically (its like your picture in first post except the DNS change)

4. TCP/IP (top menu) - DHCP: Server

5. Set up your wifi SSID, no password just for now

6. Now use automatic IP on your laptop and connect to wifi, internet should work imo

Lets try different approach. Ill try to write out the router settings.

1. Reset router

2. Mode (top menu) - Gateway

3. WAN Port (Gateway mode setup) - WAN access type: DHCP client, Attain DNS automatically (its like your picture in first post except the DNS change)

4. TCP/IP (top menu) - DHCP: Server

5. Set up your wifi SSID, no password just for now

6. Now use automatic IP on your laptop and connect to wifi, internet should work imo

Yeah, ok I did all of this, and I needed to restart the modem and router (like turn it off and on again) in order to have internet connection. Without that restart this was the problem:

post-17756-0-00452400-1440689096_thumb.p

But it's ok, now I have internet. So the coax cabel is conected to the modem, lan is conected from the modem's only lan port to the routers WAN port and these settings that you provided were made. Now what do I need to do next?

Here is something you might find usefull:

post-17756-0-00567000-1440689218_thumb.p

The restart after configuration changes should be a normal thing. The Static Lease means that the specified MAC address (phone, laptop...) always gets the same specified IP, i dont think its needed. Is there anything thats not working for you yet? I think phones and laptops can now connect to wifi and internet. If it works, you can now set the password so people dont steal your connection.

Man, I don't know who you are, but I will look for you, I will find you, and I will thank you in person. :)

Well I think it does work, but I don't know why does it work :huh: I tryed that configuration before and it totaly didn't work.

Anyway, I'm now conected with my lap top and my phone, I asume another device will work, but if it doesn't hey, two is better than one right.

I was wondering if it could be a hardware isue perhaps but I know for sure I will not touch anything from now on :D

I can't thank you enough man, I hope you have a great day.