Help me beat a Mac Lover. (video editing)

tnislugo

I've bet a mate of mine over that I can build a kick arse PC compared to the 10K Mac Pro he wants. (GG EZ).
However a big point that he wants is "it's about having a product that works in seamlessly with it's software; something we all know PCs really struggle to do."
Now I know sweet FA about video editing software, he argues "The problem you're going to have with that, is that a PC is never going to perform video rendering as well as the Mac x Final Cut X combination, because they're built to work together, which makes PC pricing irrelevant." He also mentions "Davinci Resolve".
Which for all I know could be true.
So I was hoping for someone to make a killer case for the contrary.
Less hopeful that he's right.

your friend is right, you lost the bet

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

You can tell him whatever slight advantage the software platform might give, the significantly better hardware you'll use will make up for it and take it over by miles. "they're built to work together" doesn't necessarily translate into any performance improvement at all. Change the title though, that's hardly appropriate.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've bet a mate of mine over that I can build a kick arse PC compared to the 10K Mac Pro he wants. (GG EZ).

However a big point that he wants is "it's about having a product that works in seamlessly with it's software; something we all know PCs really struggle to do."

Now I know sweet FA about video editing software, he argues "The problem you're going to have with that, is that a PC is never going to perform video rendering as well as the Mac x Final Cut X combination, because they're built to work together, which makes PC pricing irrelevant." He also mentions "Davinci Resolve".

He's sort of right, when software is built for the same components it runs so much better, that's why all photo/video editing tools run so much better on mac (I've compared similar speced mac books to my laptop and they kicked it's ass) although when it comes to price per performance it's hard to say the laptops I tested was my $600 laptop and a $1500 macbook which had similar specs....

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

Mac + final cut is probably very efficient and optimized. But nothing beats a badass windows computer.

If you look at efficiency mac wins, but windows still kicks it's ass because it can have much more power, so even if it's less efficient it will still be more powerful. Windows pc's will perform better if they have enough power, 

" PC is never going to perform video rendering as well as the Mac x Final Cut X combination" is just not true, if you make the windows pc powerful enough it will perform better than the mac X, 'nuff said. What he says is not true, if he wants to beat you, he should know what he says first is at least true...

It's like comparing a prius to a ferrari. The prius is more economical and will get you from A to B efficiently, but the ferrari will get there faster, even tho it's less efficient. It's just a lot faster.

Efficiency has a value and it's relevant to the price... But whetever :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

To be fair, he's not wrong...

Because all Mac OSX computers are essentially the same despite mild hardware differences, and therefore allow for compatibility across a whole range of Mac computers, as well as stability, since it doesn't have to worry so much about compatibility with so many different configurations.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

You can tell him whatever slight advantage the software platform might give, the significantly better hardware you'll use will make up for it and take it over by miles. "they're built to work together" doesn't necessarily translate into any performance improvement at all. Change the title though, that's hardly appropriate.

It actually sort of plays a huge factor in the running of the pc, when and operating system is built to only run on certain hardware it can easily make a huge difference, that's why using OSX will be smoother than using windows, except using OSX you're limited to a very small range of compatible hardware.

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

Mac + final cut is probably very efficient and optimized. But nothing beats a badass windows computer.

If you look at efficiency mac wins, but windows still kicks it's ass because it can have much more power, so even if it's less efficient it will still be more powerful.

It's like comparing a prius to a ferrari. The prius is more economical and will get you from A to B efficiently, but the ferrari will get there faster, even tho it's less efficient. It's just a lot faster.

Efficiency has a value and it's relevant to the price... But whetever :D

But who want's a prius when you can have a ferrari ;)

You can't just call someone a douche because they like Apple computers....

He's a mate, we call each other things much worse than douche, for entirely less provocation than dissimilar views.

First things first, inform him that DaVinci Resolve is also available on windows, and that Final Cut Pro X is not industry grade, and as such really doesn't matter (no matter how much it's integrated with the OS/hardware).

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Look here's the thing; He's going to have an easier time with a Mac. He's not going to render videos as quick and he will never get the raw performance that a $10,000 PC will give him, but on the other hand he's likely to never have a problem. Not a single one. To a lot of people this is a big deal, and I will agree with them on this, especially when you're in a creative flow. If you've got the ball rolling and something screws up your mind is off the project and on to cursing at how f***ing useless your equipment is. One crash or error is all it takes to wish you'd bought something else. On top of that the Adobe suite was taylor made for the Mac, it is its native platform and it is absolutely the platform on which it runs the best, beast hardware or not (personal experience).

(sidenote: He should be using Premiere Pro, not Final Cut)

It actually sort of plays a huge factor in the running of the pc, when and operating system is built to only run on certain hardware it can easily make a huge difference, that's why using OSX will be smoother than using windows, except using OSX you're limited to a very small range of compatible hardware.

It will be smoother; not hugely though. Unless you can show me benchmarks that prove otherwise of course. At the end of the day it's just a well optimized unix derivative, it can't do miracles.

he's likely to never have a problem.

I know a guy who, among other things, does mac repairs. Trust me, there are problems to be had.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'd drive a prius and build a house for the rest of the money.

I know a guy who, among other things, does mac repairs. Trust me, there are problems to be had.

I've got quite a few friends with Macs in different sizes and shapes and none of us have really had a problem. I've had my screen replaced because of 2 dead pixels and they were happy to do this for me. :) Of course as with anything in life, nothing is flawless, some Macs break and some users spill coffee in their keyboard. My general experience though is that I've had my fair share of problems with my desktop PC, and my MacBook has always been there for me both in the field and at home. :)

Well, to quote your friend "which makes PC pricing irrelevant" So the fact a prius is cheaper doesn't matter because it's irrelevant a ferrari is damn expensive. 

The only thing that matters in his eyes is that the Prius(mac) is more efficient, and because of that it makes it the most valueable, even tho it's still slow as hell compared to a less efficient Ferrari :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

It will be smoother; not hugely though. Unless you can show me benchmarks that prove otherwise of course. At the end of the day it's just a well optimized unix derivative, it can't do miracles.

That's exactly what it is, but this is why something like updating from the original graphics driver to the latest version can make a huge difference, why a console and a pc at the same specs will have the game running better on console, because the game was tailored to the hardware of the console but not the pc, this is the same principal with mac, the software is made for the exact components, it knows exactly what it's working with and how to work with it and there's a huge benefit to that, the downside being no customization. You can't really go saying it doesn't make a huge difference when it's kind of just a fact that software developed for specific hardware will always be better. On the other hand apple makes a computer and like doubles the price for it.

Honestly, I would have just used a Honda Civic for this analogy...

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

That's exactly what it is, but this is why something like updating from the original graphics driver to the latest version can make a huge difference, why a console and a pc at the same specs will have the game running better on console, because the game was tailored to the hardware of the console but not the pc, this is the same principal with mac, the software is made for the exact components, it knows exactly what it's working with and how to work with it and there's a huge benefit to that, the downside being no customization. You can't really go saying it doesn't make a huge difference when it's kind of just a fact that software developed for specific hardware will always be better. On the other hand apple makes a computer and like doubles the price for it.

Linus just did a video on graphics driver improvements over time. The biggest difference was on a very new title that couldn't possibly had been accounted for in old drivers, in everything else it was 16% at most over the span of 5 years. Wouldn't call that a HUGE difference. And no, games don't run better on consoles than on pcs with the same hardware and if they do it's very slightly; may have used to in previous generations, now not really anymore. And even though mac configurations are certainly more limited than windows pc ones, there are still a heck of a lot of products to account for; they can't rewrite the os and all the software for each single one. They'll just make sure it works fine if necessary and will move on to the next one. Don't think they recompile it for every possible configuration; the mac pro is running exactly the same os as the mba.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, to quote your friend "which makes PC pricing irrelevant" So the fact a prius is cheaper doesn't matter because it's irrelevant a ferrari is damn expensive. 

The only thing that matters in his eyes is that the Prius(mac) is more efficient, and because of that it makes it the most valueable, even tho it's still slow as hell compared to a less efficient Ferrari :P

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HHzYFT

I don't know the exact specs of the mac pro he's looking at but this is on par essentially what you get in one for a third of the price

Linus just did a video on graphics driver improvements over time. The biggest difference was on a very new title that couldn't possibly had been accounted for in old drivers, in everything else it was 16% at most over the span of 5 years. Wouldn't call that a HUGE difference. And no, games don't run better on consoles than on pcs with the same hardware and if they do it's very slightly; may have used to in previous generations, now not really anymore. And even though mac configurations are certainly more limited than windows pc ones, there are still a heck of a lot of products to account for; they can't rewrite the os and all the software for each single one. They'll just make sure it works fine if necessary and will move on to the next one. Don't think they recompile it for every possible configuration; the mac pro is running exactly the same os as the mba.

With a small update they can make whatever new stuff they have compatible and yes while a pc with similar specs can sometimes pull higher frames they also often get much lower frames, I've used a console priced pc for gaming and I hated it, I much prefer console at that price 

Why do  you want to change what your friend wants? Havent you heard of the phrase if it aint broke, dont fix it. Same thing applies here, he seems to enjoy using OS X to edit videos so its probably not worth learning a whole new operating system for a few small changes.