Stupid Question: Which Slots To Put My Cards In?

mao91

This goes back to the machine I've brought into question before. The quick rundown is that it's running a 4790k on an Asus Z97-Pro with 32GB memory, a Quadro K2200 and a GTX970. Now here is my stupid question:

Is there anything to be gained (aside from slightly different airflow and possibly improved ambient temps in-between the cards) from having the cards in certain PCIe slots? Originally, the Quadro was in the top slot and the GTX was in the slot below it. I switched those around last night to see what sort of difference it could make, and I haven't really noticed anything except that when I run Cinebench, it utilizes the Quadro K2200, despite having my displays hooked up to the GTX970. Drivers for both cards are installed, and both cards work fine. I'm just not totally sure how applications decide which card to utilize for which task, etc. I wouldn't think so, but does it matter which slots they're in or the order in which I've installed the drivers? Nonetheless, I landed an OpenGL score of 106 with 99.6% reference consistency, which I didn't find too bad considering it's a video editing machine.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

The farther away from the cpu, usually poorer performance.

The distance makes a negligible difference.

OP: It won't matter.

The distance makes a negligible difference.

OP: It won't matter.

That's what I figured. I suppose now I just need to look further into how applications choose which graphics cards to utilize for which tasks, and maybe see if there's a way I can tweak it around for smoother operation in Premiere. Thanks!

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.