Mixing GPUs: FirePro for 10-bit display, GTX 980 Ti for CUDA cores

I have an LG 31MU97 monitor (as do Linus Media Group times 12 as of recently), and a GTX 980 Ti. I mostly use my computer for colour grading and editing 4K files. The GTX 980 Ti is great at pushing that 4K resolution, but only in 8-bit colour.

The monitor is capable of 10-bit colour, and I don't want to go buy a top-of-the-line Quadro or FirePro to replace the more than decent GTX 980 Ti.

But there's a FirePro W2100 card that's dirt cheap and can run Cinema 4K at 10-bit colour.

Does anyone know if I can run BOTH of these cards in the same system at the same time?

The FirePro card for the display, and the GTX 980 Ti for processing, rendering etc. in the background.

I'll be using Adobe Premiere Pro 2015. Will it understand the mix-matching? I fear Premiere will try to use the FirePro card for all processing including display.

Has anyone heard of a case like this? Could it work?

You will have issues.

If Geforce experience detects that Catalyst control is running in the background, then it will terminate drivers for any nvidia card in the system. This was done some time back by nvidia as a way to stop people from using their gpu's as dedicated physx cards while still using an AMD card as a primary display.

You can get around it with hacked drivers, but it's sketchy.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I have an LG 31MU97 monitor (as do Linus Media Group times 12 as of recently), and a GTX 980 Ti. I mostly use my computer for colour grading and editing 4K files. The GTX 980 Ti is great at pushing that 4K resolution, but only in 8-bit colour.

The monitor is capable of 10-bit colour, and I don't want to go buy a top-of-the-line Quadro or FirePro to replace the more than decent GTX 980 Ti.

But there's a FirePro W2100 card that's dirt cheap and can run Cinema 4K at 10-bit colour.

Does anyone know if I can run BOTH of these cards in the same system at the same time?

The FirePro card for the display, and the GTX 980 Ti for processing, rendering etc. in the background.

I'll be using Adobe Premiere Pro 2015. Will it understand the mix-matching? I fear Premiere will try to use the FirePro card for all processing including display.

Has anyone heard of a case like this? Could it work?

I managed to get an R9 290 (flashed to a 290X) plus a GTX480 in the same system to work, IF I remember rightly the trick was AMD for the top card (and display output) and nvidia in slot #3, then install the nvidia drivers, reboot and install AMD drivers.

I *think* was the sequence, but it took me 5-10 windows installs to figure it out.

As was said its possible BUT its a major ballache.

+1 to the cheapest 10bit Quadro you can find... even a used one..