Dual booting linux with a 3rd partition.

So i have dual booted linux before. But

never with a 3rd partition

so its like windows 10 and then the  (file partition)

how would i go about dual booting this now?

Same as before, having another partition doesn't do anything different. You could have 20 partitions and the process is still the same. If there's no OS it doesn't show as a bootable partition.

Same as before, having another partition doesn't do anything different. You could have 20 partitions and the process is still the same. If there's no OS it doesn't show as a bootable partition.

so i just make windows smaller and install in that empty space like normal?

so i just make windows smaller and install in that empty space like normal?

Well you have to delete all the partitions from the drive before you can create one.. :/ Which means bye-bye Windows install, and Linux, and whatever else you may have on the drive.

What do you want to do exactly? From the question I assume you are trying to create a windows 10 partition. To do this, open a partitioning program like GParted, and create a new, empty partition (you will obviously have to cut down one or both of your other partitions to make space). Then install Windows 10 on this new partition.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Well you have to delete all the partitions from the drive before you can create one.. :/ Which means bye-bye Windows install, and Linux, and whatever else you may have on the drive.

im dual booting....

What do you want to do exactly? From the question I assume you are trying to create a windows 10 partition. To do this, open a partitioning program like GParted, and create a new, empty partition (you will obviously have to cut down one or both of your other partitions to make space). Then install Windows 10 on this new partition.

yea, im going to shrink my windows 10 partition.

install linux on the space between windows and the storage partition. 

im dual booting....

yea, im going to shrink my windows 10 partition.

install linux on the space between windows and the storage partition. 

I'm not sure if you're able to shrink a partition just like that, granted I haven't done it but go find out?

Hmm, looks like you can actually just go in to disk management and shrink a partition. Awesome. Should work out perfectly.

No you dont, you are able to shrink and extent partitions very easily without deleting anything.

No you dont, you are able to shrink and extent partitions very easily without deleting anything.

See above.

I'm not sure if you're able to shrink a partition just like that, granted I haven't done it but go find out?

Hmm, looks like you can actually just go in to disk management and shrink a partition. Awesome. Should work out perfectly.

i have shrank windows tons of times.

i have shrank windows tons of times.

What EXACTLY do you wan to do? Tell me and I'll tell you how you would go about doing it...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

What EXACTLY do you wan to do? Tell me and I'll tell you how you would go about doing it...

What i have

VumJgu5.png

What i want

J4P5vA1.png

and will windows updates or linux updates effect this?

I don't see the problem? You have the spare 75GB space? Just install linux into that

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I don't see the problem? You have the spare 75GB space? Just install linux into that

i just click it and install and all works xD?

i just click it and install and all works xD?

Well during install you should be able to select where the OS is installed to. What distro you going with?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GRUB Will have to be installed on the windows partition if i remember correctly. Other then that your good.

Lord of Helium.

Software such as Minitool Partition Wizard manages to keep user data during a partition resize. I don't know how, but that program is boss.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

GRUB Will have to be installed on the windows partition if i remember correctly. Other then that your good.

Well during install you should be able to select where the OS is installed to. What distro you going with?

See above.

When ever i install it says i have windows 7 installed..........and im on windows 10............ lmao

and when i installed it, it was ignored on boot.

When ever i install it says i have windows 7 installed..........and im on windows 10............ lmao

and when i installed it, it was ignored on boot.

Try 

sudo update-grub

or use this http://askubuntu.com/questions/564496/trying-to-dual-boot-ubuntu-14-10-with-windows-10-last-one-not-detected

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

all good now.

But like in windows i can set my personal folders to a 3rd drive'

i tried googling but can't find much on how to do in linux mint.

You would need to mount your /home folder to a different drive than what your system is mounted to. http://www.howtogeek.com/116742/how-to-create-a-separate-home-partition-after-installing-ubuntu/

You would need to mount your /home folder to a different drive than what your system is mounted to. http://www.howtogeek.com/116742/how-to-create-a-separate-home-partition-after-installing-ubuntu/

what he said

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!