Putting SSD with existing OS into a new laptop, is there anything I should know before doing it?

Aetherslime
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

What is the safest way of doing it? I am ready to do as factory-reset, I keep files for school in Google Drive. 

It is an Intel SSD and they have software to manage their SSDs, so if there are any useful tools on that, pleas tell me :)

Hey there Aetherslime,

I would recommend moving everything you want to keep from your boot partition (C drive) to another partition or another whole drive and doing a fresh install of the OS once you've moved the drive onto the new computer. This is the safest way of migrating your drive as you would avoid all problems with compatibility, drivers and OS licences. You would also have to reinstall all applications and games.

Captain_WD.

What is the safest way of doing it? I am ready to do as factory-reset, I keep files for school in Google Drive. 

It is an Intel SSD and they have software to manage their SSDs, so if there are any useful tools on that, pleas tell me :)

just plug it in. No problem

depending on what os, this can do anything between not boot at all, and automatically update its own drivers.

Uninstall drivers , just to be safe.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Best bet is to uninstall drivers first. However, it's not certain to work. It can range from outright not booting at all, to just requiring driver installs. 

Just clone and swap, shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!

The computer isn't the "Thing".....the computer is the "Thing" that gets you to the "Thing".  - excerpt from "Halt and Catch Fire".

It may or may not work, depending on a variety of factors. It might not work at all crashing at the Windows loading or might boot to the desktop.

Assuming it boots on the old PC your best bet would be to run sysprep:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Hh824920.aspx#bkmk_6

This still wouln't be guarenteed to work, it would just reduce the chance of driver issues preventing it booting.

I would recommend a clean install, but I understand this isn't always practical or possible.

Best of luck :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Intel Data Migration software. It works flawless. 

JWolf Tech Broadcast

Hey there Aetherslime,

I would recommend moving everything you want to keep from your boot partition (C drive) to another partition or another whole drive and doing a fresh install of the OS once you've moved the drive onto the new computer. This is the safest way of migrating your drive as you would avoid all problems with compatibility, drivers and OS licences. You would also have to reinstall all applications and games.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/