x99 CPU

Go to solution Solved by kevink817,

Would there be any method to not needing to wipe the drive? I have lots of photo among other items in there and do not have a good method to backing the drive up.

ALWAYS have a backup, I can't stress this enough. If things can go wrong, they will, and it will suck A LOT if your hardware swap goes bad and you can't get back to your files. The FIRST thing i would do is go buy an external drive and backup anything that can't be replaced.

That said, yes, you can do the swap without reinstalling everything. It will require you to pre-load the motherboard drivers on your current install, and then after the swap, go back into device manager and remove any old drivers to reduce the possibility of conflicting drivers/files causing issues and instability. I once upgraded from a i7-2600k and mobo to a i7-4790k and new mobo in this manner, but it was not pretty (and I had a backup!!!). A fresh install is highly preferred.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my computer to an x99 CPU. The hard drive is from an old stock dell pc. will the default programs dell installed interfere with my CPU? I understood that type of thing is stored in the motherboard but I wanted to check before I go mess up my 5960x

IMO, a fresh install of windows would probably be best. But to answer your question: No, default programs installed by Dell should not interfere. Drivers for the new motherboard can cause an issue, however.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my computer to an x99 CPU. The hard drive is from an old stock dell pc. will the default programs dell installed interfere with my CPU? I understood that type of thing is stored in the motherboard but I wanted to check before I go mess up my 5960x

download new drivers and get a fresh install of windows

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

IMO, a fresh install of windows would probably be best. But to answer your question: No, default programs installed by Dell should not interfere. Drivers for the new motherboard can cause an issue

Would there be any method to not needing to wipe the drive? I have lots of photo among other items in there and do not have a good method to backing the drive up.

ALWAYS have a backup, I can't stress this enough. If things can go wrong, they will, and it will suck A LOT if your hardware swap goes bad and you can't get back to your files. The FIRST thing i would do is go buy an external drive and backup anything that can't be replaced.

That said, yes, you can do the swap without reinstalling everything. It will require you to pre-load the motherboard drivers on your current install, and then after the swap, go back into device manager and remove any old drivers to reduce the possibility of conflicting drivers/files causing issues and instability. I once upgraded from a i7-2600k and mobo to a i7-4790k and new mobo in this manner, but it was not pretty (and I had a backup!!!). A fresh install is highly preferred.