AMD Discrete GPU market share is less than 20%

CtW

Sauce: http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_discrete_gpu_market_share_is_less_than_20/1

MD Discrete GPU market share has went down to below 20%, with Nvidia enjoying their dominant position, holding 80% of the market.  

Before 2014 AMD and Nvidia were on somewhat more even footing, with Nvidia holding between 60-65% of the market and AMD holding as much as 38% of the discrete GPU market. After Q2 of 2014 things began to change for the worse for AMD, with their market share gradually decreasing every quarter until now with AMD now owning a meager 18% of the market. 

This means that over 4 out of 5 new GPUs sold is flying an Nvidia flag, which makes things look very bad for AMD.

19105649919l.jpg

AMD has hopes of clawing back some market share as their HBM using R9 Fury series become less supply constrained or if their GPU are found to be more capable with future DirectX 12 and Vulcan games.

With Nvidia in a dominating market position, AMD will have to work very hard in order to claw themselves back into popularity. Right now there is no doubt that AMD's current GPU offerings are very competitive with Nvidia's, with our latest R9 390X testing placing it toe to toe with Nvidia's much more expensive GTX 980, with the AMD option even offering double the usable VRAM. 

It is never easy to predict where the market will go, but if AMD can deliver stellar DirectX 12 performance and sort out their supply issues with their most recent flagship GPUs they may enjoy a nice market resurgence.

I'm honestly not surprised by this due to the fact that most OEMs put nvidia GPUs in their desktops and those tend to be sold more than individual GPUs purchased by people building their own PCs. Add the extreme popularity of the GTX 970 and the fact that many of the new 300 series Radeon cards are rebrands (which some people view as an issue). I do hope that AMD is able to pick up some market share as they're in some serious financial trouble right now.

Sauce: http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_discrete_gpu_market_share_is_less_than_20/1

19105649919l.jpg

I'm honestly not surprised by this due to the fact that most OEMs put nvidia GPUs in their desktops and those tend to be sold more than individual GPUs purchased by people building their own PCs. Add the extreme popularity of the GTX 970 and the fact that many of the new 300 series Radeon cards are rebrands (which some people view as an issue). I do hope that AMD is able to pick up some market share as they're in some serious financial trouble right now.

I don't like rebrandes, makes me feel like I'm buying the same product twice. >_>

MainRig- CPU: 4790k, RAM: 32gb 2400mhz, MOBO: Maximus Formula VII, COOLING: Full EK cooling, GPU: Titan X SLI, PSU: 1200w evga , STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 4TB hybrid CASE: 760T, EXTRAS: Sleeved cables

SecondRig- CPU:4690K, RAM: 16gb 1600mhz, MOBO: Maximus Gene VII, COOLING: H105, GPU: 970ftw, PSU: EVG650W,  STORAGE: 250gb SSD, 3TB, CASE: 540air 

Steam: pizzatime6 Plus two other pc rigs and a craptop.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

This has been posted already. Locked.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch