Silence versus looks

Go to solution Solved by amp88,

After looking at your build, I've come up with a few questions that I think will give me everything I need.

1) How quiet is the be quiet!? Can you even tell when the machine is on?

2) How are the temperatures with it in relation to the D15? Is it a few degrees or more like 10? Do you think the temperature difference is worth how much better it looks than the noctua?

3) I saw you have the titanium R5, how does it look? I was thinking about getting one until I looked it up on YouTube, and it seemed like the black model with an ugly plastic mirror on the front. :/

1) Unfortunately I can't run my system at the moment, due to what appears to be a dead PSU. I'm waiting on an RMA replacement and crossing my fingers that the dying PSU didn't take out any other components. In the couple of hours I had it running I didn't have side panels on and I hadn't done any custom adjustments to the fan profiles. It was quite quiet, and gave me hope that I could get it to be almost silent at idle and low load.

2) From the reviews I read of the Dark Rock Pro 3 and the NH-D15 it appeared as though the temperature difference was significant, but not excessive, as long as you aren't intending to do heavy overclocking or have almost zero airflow in the case. This roundup from AnandTech is probably worth a read.

3) Having seen it in the flesh I might recommend the Black over the Titanium now. I think you're probably right about the looks. I thought it looked quite good in YouTube videos I watched, but it's not so great in person (to my eyes, at least). I went for the Titanium model because my current desktop (until I get the new one up and running...) is in an Antec P182 in gunmetal grey, and I really like the look of that.

Thanks for all your help so far, you've already convinced me to go with air cooling over water, now I just need to iron out the details :)

Edit: realised that was way more than a few questions, but I was trying to accurately define what I wanted to know xD

Double Edit: Just discovered the Phanteks PH-TC14PE, how do you think that would work? Looks good, and does well in the benchmarks I've seen.

The TC14PE is included in the Anand Roundup (already linked above). It appears to be somewhere in between the Dark Rock Pro 3 and NH-D15, in terms of cooling performance and noise. I don't think you could go wrong picking any of those 3 - they should all do a great job. Good luck with whichever one you end up selecting.

So, I currently do have a PC, but I'm looking to upgrade it soon, and I'm not sure if I should go for a quiet build, or something that looks nice too.

An example of what I mean is I'm fairly sure for my new case I want a Define R5. Should I get a windowed version and a Nepton 240M (this would mean I'd have to remove the Modu-vents, thus increasing the amount of noise) or the non-windowed version and a Noctua D15.

I'm open to any suggestions, especially other cases for me to look at. I'd like something with as many features of the R5 as possible (dust filters, sound dampening, etc), but smaller and still quiet, any ideas?

Obviously I already own anything marked purchased, anything else is what I'm planning to get.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/hW3ThM

Thanks in advance!

Since my PC is on the floor besides my desk, having it look good would serve no purpose, so I went for the low-profile and quiet Define R4, and I'm glad I made that choice. 
It's very silent, and everytime I'm seeing/hearing my friends computers I appreciate my choice of going for silence versus look.

I chose the non-windowed R5 for my current build and I think it's the right choice. I can understand that some people are really into the aesthetics of a build (including, for example, windowed cases, LEDs, everything precisely colour-matched etc), but personally I'd rather have a build that performed well and was quiet. With good case airflow (e.g. 2x140mm intake, 1x120mm exhaust, as in mine) and a solid CPU air cooler (the D15 is a great option) you should be great for cooling.

So, I currently do have a PC, but I'm looking to upgrade it soon, and I'm not sure if I should go for a quiet build, or something that looks nice too.

An example of what I mean is I'm fairly sure for my new case I want a Define R5. Should I get a windowed version and a Nepton 240M (this would mean I'd have to remove the Modu-vents, thus increasing the amount of noise) or the non-windowed version and a Noctua D15.

I'm open to any suggestions, especially other cases for me to look at. I'd like something with as many features of the R5 as possible (dust filters, sound dampening, etc), but smaller and still quiet, any ideas?

Obviously I already own anything marked purchased, anything else is what I'm planning to get.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/hW3ThM

Thanks in advance!

It's very possible to have a good looking AND quiet system, it all comes down to how you set it up really.

Since my PC is on the floor besides my desk, having it look good would serve no purpose, so I went for the low-profile and quiet Define R4, and I'm glad I made that choice. 

It's very silent, and everytime I'm seeing/hearing my friends computers I appreciate my choice of going for silence versus look.

But how large would the difference in sound be? If it isn't that much, I'd rather have something to show off than the 2 decibels fewer an ugly PC would give me.

It's very possible to have a good looking AND quiet system, it all comes down to how you set it up really.

Would you mind giving examples of what you would change in my build? I've never used anything besides the stock cooler so I'm not really sure what I'm doing :/

But how large would the difference in sound be? If it isn't that much, I'd rather have something to show off than the 2 decibels fewer an ugly PC would give me.

It's quite signifiant, considering the amount of padding and noise-dampening material that is inside the case. I can barely hear my computer, you can't tell if it's on or off by the sound only.

Besides, I wouldn't consider it "ugly" by any mean, it's a nice, clean look. Some people are after that, and some people want all the bells and whistles to show off - and I consider that uglier than a clean Define R4/R5. :P

That does not mean that any other case will make your computer sound like a jet engine, if you're using good fans and a decent case then it's possible to find something in the middle that will suit you well. 

It's definitely possible to create a system based in a windowed case which is quiet, especially at idle/low load. However, there's no escaping the fact that the R5 windowed version will be louder than the R5 windowless version, because you're sacrificing the sound dampening where the window is. It's difficult to say what the actual difference would be, but I'm fairly certain it would be quite noticeable under heavy load (e.g. gaming/video rendering). Whether or not it would be noticeable at idle/low load is a different matter though.

Would you mind giving examples of what you would change in my build? I've never used anything besides the stock cooler so I'm not really sure what I'm doing :/

Well most of your noise comes from the fans, get quiet fans and run them at controlled speeds to keep the noise level to a minimum. The cooler itself will make little to no difference in noise unless you're using an AIO cooler, where you have to consider pump noise.

From the looks of it you don't have an after market cooler, I would suggest getting one, but the one you get depends on what the case supports and I'm not familiar with the Fractal R5, so I can't suggest anything in particular. 

I suggest getting some kind of aftermarket cooler because stock coolers and their supplied fans aren't known for being very quiet.

From the looks of it you don't have an after market cooler, I would suggest getting one, but the one you get depends on what the case supports and I'm not familiar with the Fractal R5, so I can't suggest anything in particular.

The Noctua NH-D15 and be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 both fit in the R5, and either would be a great option for cooling and noise performance. I'm using a Dark Rock Pro 3 in my current build.

Besides, I wouldn't consider it "ugly" by any mean, it's a nice, clean look. Some people are after that, and some people want all the bells and whistles to show off - and I consider that uglier than a clean Define R4/R5. :P

As do I, and I think a water cooler hidden at the top would be nicer and cleaner looking than a brown and tan cube :P

I go for looks and silence. Even if it costs me extra, I think it's worth knowing you have pretty components that kick ass as well.

I'm using a Dark Rock Pro 3 in my current build.

My OCD doesn't like the sideways logo :P

That being said, I'm definitely liking it so far.

My OCD doesn't like the sideways logo :P

That being said, I'm definitely liking it so far.

100% agree with you about OCD & that logo!

Here's some more OCD torture: I tried to get everything in this picture just right, but failed on several counts :(

med_gallery_248914_3200_119002.jpg

failed on several counts :(

Looks pretty good to me! Two of the pins look a little off though :(

side note: is there an r/OCDTorture? seems like there should be

I chose the non-windowed R5 for my current build and I think it's the right choice. I can understand that some people are really into the aesthetics of a build (including, for example, windowed cases, LEDs, everything precisely colour-matched etc), but personally I'd rather have a build that performed well and was quiet. With good case airflow (e.g. 2x140mm intake, 1x120mm exhaust, as in mine) and a solid CPU air cooler (the D15 is a great option) you should be great for cooling.

After looking at your build, I've come up with a few questions that I think will give me everything I need.

2) How are the temperatures with it in relation to the D15? Is it a few degrees or more like 10? Do you think the temperature difference is worth how much better it looks than the noctua?

3) I saw you have the titanium R5, how does it look? I was thinking about getting one until I looked it up on YouTube, and it seemed like the black model with an ugly plastic mirror on the front. :/

Thanks for all your help so far, you've already convinced me to go with air cooling over water, now I just need to iron out the details :)

Edit: realised that was way more than a few questions, but I was trying to accurately define what I wanted to know xD

Double Edit: Just discovered the Phanteks PH-TC14PE, how do you think that would work? Looks good, and does well in the benchmarks I've seen.

1) Unfortunately I can't run my system at the moment, due to what appears to be a dead PSU. I'm waiting on an RMA replacement and crossing my fingers that the dying PSU didn't take out any other components. In the couple of hours I had it running I didn't have side panels on and I hadn't done any custom adjustments to the fan profiles. It was quite quiet, and gave me hope that I could get it to be almost silent at idle and low load.

2) From the reviews I read of the Dark Rock Pro 3 and the NH-D15 it appeared as though the temperature difference was significant, but not excessive, as long as you aren't intending to do heavy overclocking or have almost zero airflow in the case. This roundup from AnandTech is probably worth a read.

3) Having seen it in the flesh I might recommend the Black over the Titanium now. I think you're probably right about the looks. I thought it looked quite good in YouTube videos I watched, but it's not so great in person (to my eyes, at least). I went for the Titanium model because my current desktop (until I get the new one up and running...) is in an Antec P182 in gunmetal grey, and I really like the look of that.

The TC14PE is included in the Anand Roundup (already linked above). It appears to be somewhere in between the Dark Rock Pro 3 and NH-D15, in terms of cooling performance and noise. I don't think you could go wrong picking any of those 3 - they should all do a great job. Good luck with whichever one you end up selecting.