WTF is going on with my computer

terminal2

Okay so I had a no post issue here (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/431802-help-no-post/) which I thought was resolved by reseated the 24-pin connector on my motherboard.  Computer works for a couple days, then same issue: No post, no system lights, CPU fans for 1 second then cuts but the case fan keeps spinning.  Try the 24-pin reset, no boot this time.  Swap everything again, nada.  Pull the GPU and use my old 300 watt PSU, system boots right up.  WTF?! (This is an EXTEMELY cheap 300 watt PSU - came with my case for 30 in total)  Put the new Supernova 1050 power supply back in and same issue.  FINALLY I reseat the 24-pin connector on the POWER SUPPLY side, and it boots.  Reinstall the GPU, boots again.  Could electrical resistance or something be unseating my 24 pin connectors?  This is the bottom end business class Mobo BTW, ECS essentials class M3.  I doubt it has much tolerance for high-power applications. 

Please help.  

Sounds like your non shitty 300w psu is the one causing problems.

It's clear that he says he only tried to boot with 300W PSU. He uses SeaSonic 1050W PSU it seems. You new topic campers who don't even read the actual topics should really stop posting.

My fault I wasn't clear enough.  My shitty PSU is 300 watts.  My new PSU is a EVGA 1050 GS supernova. (1050 watts)

Its looking that way, but there's something leading me to believe that my Mobo can't handle the level of power Im using.  When I used my 300 watt, it had the same issue MOMENTARILY.  The CPU fan spun for a second then stopped.  The system then seemed to reset itself and reboot and the computer booted up the second time.  But it was almost like it was discharging the extra electricity built up.  It wasn't an immediate boot. 

My fault I wasn't clear enough.  My shitty PSU is 300 watts.  My new PSU is a EVGA 1050 GS supernova. (1050 watts)

Its looking that way, but there's something leading me to believe that my Mobo can't handle the level of power Im using.  When I used my 300 watt, it had the same issue MOMENTARILY.  The CPU fan spun for a second then stopped.  The system then seemed to reset itself and reboot and the computer booted up the second time.  But it was almost like it was discharging the extra electricity built up.  It wasn't an immediate boot. 

Yeah, those motherboards aren't known for their reliability or quality control....

It's clear that he says he only tried to boot with 300W PSU. He uses SeaSonic 1050W PSU it seems. You new topic campers who don't even read the actual topics should really stop posting.

I wasn't wrong ;_;

@Zayzo Damn son!!! Thats for all the times I topic camped!!!

I found it very clear.

Yeah, those motherboards aren't known for their reliability or quality control....

I wasn't wrong ;_;

Dang, Im saving up for an Asus ATX motherboard right now and a new ATX case.  If it could only hold out 2 weeks.....

@Zayzo Damn son!!! Thats for all the times I topic camped!!!

I found it very clear.

He tried it with both and his crappy 300w psu booted while his other one didn't. Am i missing something? Lmao

He tried it with both and his crappy 300w psu booted while his other one didn't. Am i missing something? Lmao

BTW, hello from North Florida (Gainesville)

harsh much? 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

You said "Sounds like your non shitty 300w psu is the one causing problems.". The 300W PSU is not causing problems. The 1050W one is.

definately a PSU problem, however thats already been confirmed and scince my thermatake PSU setting ablaze my room in my last house ive gone with antec XFX seasonic or silverstone, never had any other issue so i have no idea what else to say. xP 

HIT IT A BUNCH. THAT ALWAYS WORKS. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

You said "Sounds like your non shitty 300w psu is the one causing problems.". The 300W PSU is not causing problems. The 1050W one is.

That says the opposite. Maybe i worded it poorly but it still says that the other psu is the problem and not the 330w one. btw

oooh, now im seeing how its worded. 

i read it as a joke as if the 300w was better than the 1050w because it was working. xP 

-Jim Hensen

Is there a way I can test the PSU?

Should I turn down my +20% power supply to the graphics card?  Is the extra power delivered through the Mobo or the PCI-E connectors?

So I realized I had my Hard Drives plugged into the PCI-E slot on my power supply.  Any chance this damaged them?

Anyone? My HDDs are showing up and system is booting. However if I start from a completely cold boot, the computer will cut off at the windows loading screen. Starting again will allow it to boot all the way through. I'd really like to know if I shorted or damaged my HDDs so I can back them up

Does that PSU have removable power cables? Maybe unplug them all from the PSU itself (and make sure any unused ones are unplugged entirely) and then replug them in, or even better, if you have spare cables, try those ones.

PC: i7-3770k, GTX 670, 16gb 1600mhz, SSDs only, Corsair K70, Razer Deathadder, Windows 10.

Xbone

Anyone? My HDDs are showing up and system is booting. However if I start from a completely cold boot, the computer will cut off at the windows loading screen. Starting again will allow it to boot all the way through. I'd really like to know if I shorted or damaged my HDDs so I can back them up

do the paper clip test on the psu and see how long it runs. Then just power the MoBo with the 24 pin connector only, and see how long it runs.dont plug in anything else. No GPU, HDD, dvd drives, just the MoBo. And the CPU connector

So I realized I had my Hard Drives plugged into the PCI-E slot on my power supply.  Any chance this damaged them?

maybe yes cause 12 volts in 5 v sockets ain't good 

maybe yes cause 12 volts in 5 v sockets ain't good 

I think I definitely shorted my hard drives.  My read/write times are going to shit in the older drives and my new drive is reduced by 25%.  If I got an identical drive (Seagate 1TB) to my main one, and stuck in raid 1, could I save the drive?

If when you press the power button the computer starts, stops then starts is pretty common. It's called a Phantom Boot. It's when the motherboards capacitors are either charging or discharging. After the second boot everything should be ok. Some boards even do it 3-4 times. IT can be fixed with bios options and a better quality PSU however is not really deemed a problem.

The 1050Watt PSU though sounds like it has a problem. The motherboard will not accept any more power than it needs, so you could put a 1600watt PSU in there and it won't damage anything.

The PCI only gives out 75 watts unless you mod the bios. Extra power is from the PCI-e.

PCI-e power can damage HDDs.

It's not a race to the bottom.

If when you press the power button the computer starts, stops then starts is pretty common. It's called a Phantom Boot. It's when the motherboards capacitors are either charging or discharging. After the second boot everything should be ok. Some boards even do it 3-4 times. IT can be fixed with bios options and a better quality PSU however is not really deemed a problem.

The 1050Watt PSU though sounds like it has a problem. The motherboard will not accept any more power than it needs, so you could put a 1600watt PSU in there and it won't damage anything.

The PCI only gives out 75 watts unless you mod the bios. Extra power is from the PCI-e.

Well I ordered a 500 watt bronze EVGA.  Newegg sent me the 1050 GS.  Figured hey why not.  I can go SLI/Crossfire if I ever want to now. 

I eliminated the power supply as a problem.  I hooked it up to a friends rig and it ran fine.  Ran it no Mobo for 24 hours using the 24-pin adapter that came with it.  Nothing. 

Also, 2 more things: It isn't just phantom boot.  The computer will actually boot, get to the windows 10 loading screen and then cut - not restart - just stop.  I power it right back on and it will boot fully.  No problems.  

I wasn't thinking that the 1050 had damaged the MB.  I was thinking using the shitty 300 watt PSU that came with a 30 dollar case (Case and PSU = 30) might have shorted something or damaged a voltage regulator or something along those lines.  Then I connect a decent PSU and it has problems that didn't show up while it was underpowered.

Or that ECS' build quality is just that bad - it simply can't handle that much juice on a business class MB even though it has a PCI3 slot. That was always supposed to be a temporary MB and case until I could afford something decent.  Im hoping it can hold out until I can get the new one (ASRock Extreme 6) so I can eliminate it as a potential source of problems.