Hello everyone, welcome to my first build.

I'm hoping to get some advice, feedback, and constructive criticism on specific or the overall rig.

At the moment I am concerned whether my power supply (Antec platinum 550w) will be sufficient/ is compatible for this build.

Background info:

I am a 21 y/o uni student in Australia,

im upgrading from my old ass mac which has an i5-2450M, and 4gb of ram 1600 MHz DDR3 (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP649?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US) go tot that link if you want those specs.

I'm looking to increase the speed and responsiveness of my computer overall, as well as being able to multitasks a bunch of programs at the same time, without having everything freez and slow down all the time. I also like to game when i have time: WoW, age of empires, etc. I am not extremely interested in gettingt the best graphics at the moment as i wil be moving in 1.5 years, so ill have to sell the monitor that i will buy anyway, and ill upgrade the gpu and the monitor once i move.

what im hoping to run smoothly on the computer (at the same time):

-a game (eg: WoW, pokerstars)

-Skype call

-10 tabs of firefox, youtube, fb,

-downloading stuff on Vuze

-PDF

-Word

-Spotify

Here are a list of the parts that i've bought/have: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LybwQ7

CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core Processor 

I found this processor brand new with the heatsink (which i wont use) both unopened, for only 200 AUD on ebay. Now I know everyone loves intel, (i think the go-to intel processor is like the i7-4790k right ?) but considering it is around 500AUD here.. i think i got a pretty good deal with the FX9590. what do y'all think ?

CPU Cooler: Deepcool CAPTAIN 360 273.4 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing Liquid CPU Cooler  160AUD on ebay

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  152AUD@ Newegg, ouch.. wish there were cheaper boards that supported the CPU

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  110AUD from Newegg

Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  118AUD @ Newegg

Storage: Toshiba  3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  124AUD @ Newegg dont really need 3tb but i thought it was pretty nice for the price.

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB Superclocked Video Card  124AUD From Newegg. I really dont know much about the GPU market, but I know that i wanted something cheap but still good in terms of budget. I have no idea if this card will be what im looking for though. What do you guys think ?

Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  192AUD from ebay.com.au (yes cheaper in the US, but shipping cost is crazy expensive). Also can anyone tell me if all the fans are included in this product (i know some are, like the front) ?

Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply  I had this laying around so im hoping it will be up to the job, cause my bank balace is crying.

Total: 1180AUD (866USD)

I have a razer naga, as well as blackwidow chroma that my gf just bought me for our anniversary.

I intend on getting windows 10 as the OS

But i havent bought a monitor yet.

my main criteria is 1080p and under 200AUD

im not really sure what to get here, so suggestions are appreciated. Please keep in mind that I am in Melbourne Australia and that buying from the US is not realistic due to shipping costs, ive personally been using Ebay.com.au .

ps: let me know what you think abou this one:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1212&products_id=26460

so please let me know about the PSU, the monitor, comments, critiques, etc.

Thank you,

Tom

The price for THAT CPU is okay. Not recommended unless you need 8 cores, gaming only requires less than 4 cores.

The GPU is crappy It is a waste of money, get a R9 285 or R9 280x

That case is really expensive, I would get something for around $100

You only need 8GB's of Ram unless you are 3d modeling, virtual machines or video creation

If you are doing 3d modeling, virtual machine or video creation your CPU is fine, and the same with your ram.

The price for THAT CPU is okay. Not recommended unless you need 8 cores, gaming only requires less than 4 cores.

The GPU is crappy It is a waste of money, get a R9 285 or R9 280x

That case is really expensive, I would get something for around $100

You only need 8GB's of Ram unless you are 3d modeling, virtual machines or video creation

If you are doing 3d modeling, virtual machine or video creation your CPU is fine, and the same with your ram.

i cant afford a 300AUD GPU at the moment (looking to upgrade in ~18months).

For the case, i cant really do cheap in australia, it goes for around 100 bucks in the US but around 200$ here :/

As for the ram, i figured if i get 2x8 now, ill have 2 empty slots whenever i need to upgrade in the future.

any suggestions for the monitor ? :)

Thanks for the PC case gear info :)

Edited by tomnicougrik

i cant afford a 300AUD GPU at the moment (looking to upgrade in ~18months).

For the case, i cant really do cheap in australia, it goes for around 100 bucks in the US but around 200$ here :/

As for the ram, i figured if i get 2x8 now, ill have 2 empty slots whenever i need to upgrade in the future.

any suggestions for the monitor ? :)

There are cheaper cases.

I am from Australia

and that monitor you chose has a ghettoly old 16:10 (8:5) aspect ratio.

pccasegear is NOT the cheapest place to buy. MSY is cheaper. www.msy.com.au

Part list http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/parts.pdf

They have stores all around australia, however keep in mind that their customer service is not the best. If you don't really know what you're doing, go to Pccasegear or mwave or something.

Also I don't reccomend that CPU, I'm an Aussie myself and I know prices are atrocious here but I would see if I could get an i5. That GPU is crap, use the money for that on an intel CPU with integrated graphics and get a proper GPU when you move.

Everything else looks pretty good.

pccasegear is NOT the cheapest place to buy. MSY is cheaper. www.msy.com.au

Part list http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/parts.pdf

They have stores all around australia, however keep in mind that their customer service is not the best. If you don't really know what you're doing, go to Pccasegear or mwave or something.

Also I don't reccomend that CPU, I'm an Aussie myself and I know prices are atrocious here but I would see if I could get an i5. That GPU is crap, use the money for that on an intel CPU with integrated graphics and get a proper GPU when you move.

Everything else looks pretty good.

I know that.

Also the ACCC lawsuits of that place!

Don't get it from there

I know that.

Also the ACCC lawsuits of that place!

Don't get it from there

Yeah if it's the OP's first PC, maybe better get it from pccg, I've had no problems with MSY . . .

I think this will suit your needs better. I think most on this forum will agree that the 9590 isn't a very good choice. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($265.00 @ Centre Com) 
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($145.00 @ Centre Com) 
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.00 @ CPL Online) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($214.00 @ PLE Computers) 
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($165.00 @ Centre Com) 
Total: $1126.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-18 19:19 AEST+1000

http://www.pccasegear.com/sc/yXK

Intel Core i5 4460  $269.00ea
Silverstone Precision PS08 Micro ATX Case Black $49.00ea
MSI H97M-G43 Motherboard  $125.00ea
Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5in SSD  $139.00ea
Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001  $105.00ea
Kingston HyperX Fury HX318C10FK2/8 8GB (2x4GB) Blue  $89.00ea
XFX Radeon R7 370 Double Dissipation 2GB $219.00ea ------------------------------------------------------Maybe get a R7 360 if you are going to upgrade later on.
Total: $995.00

As far as I can see, you PSU would be fine

Why is the FX9590 not recommended ? i thought i got it at a pretty sweet price imo.

Why is the FX9590 not recommended ? i thought i got it at a pretty sweet price imo.

it is a nice price for it.

But it really isn't great for gaming.

It would be good if you do a lot of virtual machines and render video or 3d model.

I would get an i5.

The FX is in the same market as a X99 CPU's, but it not for the same audience. 

It doesn't preform as well and it produces a lot of heat due to the age of Bulldozer Architecture!