Your Setup - In front of window or a wall ?

monjanger

I just have a quick question about where your setup is located, more specifically if its in front of a window or a wall. Also, I want to know if you would change what your setup is positioned in front of, again, windows or a wall? Some things to consider; in front of a window - pros: next level immersion eg; when its raining, from experience it gives you a comforting feel, not exactly immersion but couldn't come up with a better word... very comforting though. also, the view. you could just be looking at trees or the new York city. those are the main two pros... cons possible sun glare... loud noise outside from wind, rain and bushes waking against the window. many more cons though, not as concerning though. in front of a wall, pros: wall mounted monitors, led lights (this is possible in front of a window but not quite as nice) and many options for the future. cons: not the best look, (no background really), wall is harder to care for and can look horrible with holes, scratches etc. Thats about it. last thing i would like to say is that curtains are there in case the sun glare gets that bad. In the future, when i finally get to building my sky lake PC, I will show you guys two different variants of my setup, one in front of a window and one in front of all wall and see how it looks and show you guys if you want to change your setup.

the window is over my screen. so both. and its ok. as I never have direct sunlight in my face. exept from 9:30 ro around 10:40 am

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

The sun makes my right screen hard to use, but the left and center are fine.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

the window is over my screen. so both. and its ok. as I never have direct sunlight in my face. exept from 9:30 ro around 10:40 am

very neat :D im jelly

Window... Got the back fan blowing out of the room...

I use a desk that helps cover the window and if it gets too bright, I have blackout curtains installed...

The sun makes my right screen hard to use, but the left and center are fine.

thats a shame :| but at least the center and left are still easy to use, i use those two screens the most in my setup

Window... Got the back fan blowing out of the room...

I use a desk that helps cover the window and if it gets too bright, I have blackout curtains installed...

blackout curtains. Nice!

Next to a window, but faced against a wall. Window would result in the setup getting in the way every time I have to clean the window up every few months.

I have curtains in front of the window 24/7 though, because I prefer dimmer lighting, plus the neighborhood isn't exactly what I would consider trustworthy. Too bad the curtains barely dim enough during summers: during summer nights it can be as bright as during the day in my room, even with the curtain blocking light coming form the outside. I need much darker and/or thicker curtains...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

My desk is in front of a wall which is opposite the windows in my room. I would definitely prefer having my desk in front of windows because I wouldn't get any glare during the day and it's a nice view of my backyard.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Next to a window, but faced against a wall. Window would result in the setup getting in the way every time I have to clean the window up every few months.

I have curtains in front of the window 24/7 though, because I prefer dimmer lighting, plus the neighborhood isn't exactly what I would consider trustworthy. Too bad the curtains barely dim enough during summers: during summer nights it can be as bright as during the day in my room, even with the curtain blocking light coming form the outside. I need much darker and/or thicker curtains...

I'm having the same problems with my curtains :(

My desk is in front of a wall which is opposite the windows in my room. I would definitely prefer having my desk in front of windows because I wouldn't get any glare during the day and it's a nice view of my backyard.

Why not move in front of the windows? 

Why not move in front of the windows? 

My bed is there lol

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

My bed is there lol

Im in front of a window and I want to temporary be in front of a wall and see how I like it but my wardrobe is there. :(

Usually where desk is best located and close to wall sockets. So I haven't had it near window really ever. Windows have always been kinda on side, starting at where I sit. No direct sunlight at any point.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The window in this room is to might right. Sunlight is only a problem in the morning, but I have blinds up which stop the glare.

I used to have my setup in front of a window, it was always a nuisance whenever I wanted to open the damn thing. I wouldn't go back. Glare is a non-issue for me as my windows are blacked out and when they're open I usually have my curtains drawn anyway. As for having something nice to look at, it only points out into my overgrown backyard so "the view" is isn't exactly appealing. If I lived in a fancy apartment somewhere that overlooked the bay it would a different story...

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?”

Im in front of a window and I want to temporary be in front of a wall and see how I like it but my wardrobe is there. :(

*tear*

In front of a wall, next to a window.

Preferably I would an L shapes desk close to a window.. But that is not possible in my room.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

what is this window you speak of?

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Usually where desk is best located and close to wall sockets. So I haven't had it near window really ever. Windows have always been kinda on side, starting at where I sit. No direct sunlight at any point.

Lucky for me, when I put a desk in my room I had a wall socket there. It is now hooked up to a 24 plug bank. 

I used to have my setup in front of a window, it was always a nuisance whenever I wanted to open the damn thing. I wouldn't go back. Glare is a non-issue for me as my windows are blacked out and when they're open I usually have my curtains drawn anyway. As for having something nice to look at, it only points out into my overgrown backyard so "the view" is isn't exactly appealing. If I lived in a fancy apartment somewhere that overlooked the bay it would a different story...

Very much agreed on that last part. 

In front of a wall, next to a window.

Preferably I would an L shapes desk close to a window.. But that is not possible in my room.

I feel your struggle. 

My desk is in front of a wall. Adjacent the single window in my room.

PC specs: Intel core i5 4690k__EVGA Geforce GTX 970 ACX Superclocked 4GB Edition__G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB DDR3 1600mhz__Corsair CX 750W PSU__Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower Case__Asus Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Mobo__Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler__1TB WD Blue HDD__Corsair K70 Red LEDs with Cherry MX Brown Switces__Steelseries Rival Gaming Mouse__Windows 10

It's in the middle of the room.

Here, have a badly drawn paint illustration of my room's layout.

0WGrM9N.png

My weirdly shaped PC desk is this (stock image)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Both?  A window, in the middle of a wall...both behind my 'setup'.  *ducks*

As much as I'd love an L shaped desk right now, I just bought a small-ish PC desk (was looking for a normal desk, but that was pretty much all I could afford for now due to tight budget). Considering getting a free standing cabinet and using that for storing stuff and to raise my PC off the floor. Would be cheapish ($15 or so) and it would solve some of my problems until I can either get a second desk to use as a workbench or just replace the one I have with a nice, L shaped one (building my own desk is also a valid option, but it would take time and effort on my part)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

My setup is against a wall simply because it's the only logical available space in my room. The window is off to my back left.