Getting my bike to change gears properly

flibberdipper

So, I have a mountain bike (forgot what the hell kind it is), and of course, it has the nice 21 speed gear set in it. But, the two shortest gears in the rear set don't actually get used, unless you force it to use them by holding the shift handle thingy to make it want to downshift (hard for me to explain). I believe I have a Shimano set, but I really am not sure. So, is there some way that I can fix it up to make it use the two shorties? Or do I have to live with the slightly harder pedaling offroad?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So, I have a mountain bike (forgot what the hell kind it is), and of course, it has the nice 21 speed gear set in it. But, the two shortest gears in the rear set don't actually get used, unless you force it to use them by holding the shift handle thingy to make it want to downshift (hard for me to explain). I believe I have a Shimano set, but I really am not sure. So, is there some way that I can fix it up to make it use the two shorties? Or do I have to live with the slightly harder pedaling offroad?

a little lube always did it for me... lube it and work it in to the entire shifting mechanism. i swear i did not mean for that to sound that bad

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

^^ Bike lube is always good. Check your derailleur to make sure it's still intact :)

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Ask taran

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Do you have your front gears aligned with the rear? 

I honestly have no clue. It's one of those things I've never actually looked into (I'm a gear head, but not this kind of gear lol).

a little lube always did it for me... lube it and work it in to the entire shifting mechanism. i swear i did not mean for that to sound that bad

That's actually not a bad idea. I haven't oiled/lubed anything since I got it, and I don't know what the previous dude did.

^^ Bike lube is always good. Check your derailleur to make sure it's still intact :)

Also not a bad idea. I mean it should be (especially since it doesn't hop all around like my dad's does randomly), but ya never know.

you might want to check on the cables. get those a bit tighter and it might be fixed.

otherwise lube it up a bit more.

Cables are nice and tight (especially the brakes, this thing is stiff like a 911 GT3 lol). I'm not saying I like stiff suspension and fairly touchy brakes with stupidly fast shifts... But I do.

Ask taran

Psh, if you can find a way to get him to make a PM with me...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

~Snip~

If your gears are not changing correctly, then that is often cable stretch. If your chain is falling off at the wheel end or bike frame end of the cassette, or not changing to the lowest/highest cog, then you need to adjust the derailleur limits. And you will also need to check the rear hanger for damage if you have had a crash, as they can easily become bent (This pertains to your current issues). If the gears are jumpy, chain slipping, and just plain misbehaving. Then you would probably need a new cassette, and possibly new chain (this pertains to possible future issues due to wear and tear).

There are 2 limiting screws in the derailleur body, check those because one of them limits how low the derailleur can go and the other limits how high it can go.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

There are 2 limiting screws in the derailleur body, check those because one of them limits how low the derailleur can go and the other limits how high it can go.

^^^