Moving the 'AppData' folder on C drive

TorguL

Is there a way of moving all the contents of the 'AppData folder' on SSD C: drive to the HDD without the system becoming unstable? I have had my new SSD for about a month now and already have 1.26 Tb of writes on it. Is there any way of doing it?

I really do not wish to do a fresh installation of my OS, especially as i have only recently done it. So there is no other way?

Anyone else like to contribute?

Absolutely not worth it. That's probably one of the primary folders you want on your SSD to keep Windows really snappy and fast.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Oh i see. Thanks Glen for that piece of information & Lyons!

Absolutely not worth it. That's probably one of the primary folders you want on your SSD to keep Windows really snappy and fast.

I can personally vouch for this not necessarily being the case.

On my personal rig, I have Windows installed on a Crucial M4 128GB SSD, with a 500GB Hitachi HDD as my storage drive for it.

When I installed Windows, I did a custom install with the entire "Users" folder installed onto the HDD. So AppData, desktop, documents, etc, are all there. And I can say that the system is still extremely snappy and fast. I don't notice much of a difference between this and my HTPC which only has a 128GB Samsung 840 SSD. The only downside is that this can break some Windows 8 Store Modern UI Apps. But since I don't use any, it's not a big deal to me. And there's a way to fix it, but I just don't care to bother going through the fix since I never use Modern UI apps anyway.

With that in mind, for @TorguL I don't think it's worth it for you. You're not worried about space, you're worried about too many SSD writes. Don't be. As others have said, your SSD will last for hundreds or thousands of TB's worth of data, so don't worry about 1.2TB being written to it in a month.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)