With 2 980ti's running 1440p@144hz, is GSync really worth the premium?

CurlyCucumber
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

GSync is used when below the monitor's refresh rate, not above. Stopping screen tearing is essentially just VSync. GSync is a must have for me now. It makes a huge difference for those frame drops and makes gameplay so smooth. Why two 144Hz displays though? You could save some money and just go for a single 144Hz one and a 60Hz, seeing as you won't be gaming on both. 

Hey there everyone!

So soon, I plan on upgrading to a 4790k, 1000W PSU, dual 980ti's, and two 1440p 144hz displays.

Now, I was thinking.. would saving money buying two MG279Q's instead of two Acer xb270hu's be worth leaving GSync behind?

My reasoning for this, is knowing Gsync is to reduce screen tearing, etc. But at 144hz, just capping your FPS there would do the same, correct? 144hz is buttery smooth. I feel like saving the money and getting Asus's option would be worth it, also knowing the monitor itself is built a lot better.

What do you think? Would capping my frames at 144hz be the same as Gsync? I mean, is it really worth spending 400 more dollars JUST for Gsync?

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

Why buy two gsync monitors? You can only use one to game on at once. Get one xb270hu and one other cheaper 1440 or 1080p monitor.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

GSync is used when below the monitor's refresh rate, not above. Stopping screen tearing is essentially just VSync. GSync is a must have for me now. It makes a huge difference for those frame drops and makes gameplay so smooth. Why two 144Hz displays though? You could save some money and just go for a single 144Hz one and a 60Hz, seeing as you won't be gaming on both. 

Why buy two gsync monitors? You can only use one to game on at once. Get one xb270hu and one other cheaper 1440 or 1080p monitor.

That's true. I might as well do that.

GSync is used when below the monitor's refresh rate, note above. Stopping screen tearing is essentially just VSync. GSync is a must have for me now. It makes a huge difference for those frame drops and makes gameplay so smooth. Why two 144Hz displays though? You could save some money and just go for a single 144Hz one and a 60Hz, seeing as you won't be gaming on both. 

Ah, alright! Thanks for clearing that up. :P I'll probably just go with that option.

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

I would only get a gsync monitor is you plan on keeping that setup for a long time because eventually the 980ti's will begin to struggle with newer and more unoptimized, ern I mean "demading" games come out and the gsync will keep things going buttery smooth for longer.