What is your favorite programming language?

Venum

It's hard to say what my favorite programming language is, because you obviously have to use the right tool for the right job.

The language that excites me the most is Scala. It's a lesser known programming language that runs on the JVM (Java Virtual Machine), but has tons of neat features that make it a lot nicer than Java, and it's rapidly gaining steam. It's being used by companies like Twitter and LinkedIn. When's the last time you've seen the fail whale? Been a while, hasn't it? Part of the reason why it disappeared was that Twitter switched their backend to Scala.

But of course, not one size fits all, so for more low-level programming or more performance-critical or real-time applications, e.g. video games, I really like C++. With the new C++11 standard a lot of really neat features have been added and a lot of nuisances have been removed. It supposedly feels like a whole new language now, but I wouldn't know, because I started using C++ in 2011. I'd really like to see the kind of control that C++ offers in other, more high-level programming languages. Resource management can be really elegant in C++ in comparison to most other programming languages. I tried to implement good resource management in C# once, but I was longing for C++ the entire time.

Delphi and PHP are what I'm most comfortable with, but C++ is what I've been using most lately. I also know ASM and Java, but I haven't used either in over a year.

My favorite is C++ for the level of control it allows for. I do realize it's not the best tool for every project, but it's by far my favorite language in the way it's constructed.

My least favorite is Java. I will never use it. I'll always go in favor of C# for a multi-platform application (and leverage Mono for Mac OS and Linux). Java is monolithic, ugly, and slow. The JVM is a horrible creation that's extraordinarily vulnerable and slow. I hate that language with a burning passion.

I don't have a "favorite". I use Java most of the time, but that's because it's the most practical application for what i'm doing. If need be, I can go out and learn a new language to suite my needs! So really, i'd ask myself what my favorite programming language would be for a specific project.

i like matlab

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

For regular programs I like using C

Also like doing some websites with HTML and JavaScript.

• 2 weeks later...

C++ and C#

General Electric GE90-115B: i7 2600k @4.0Ghz + ID-Cooling Frostflow+ 120 / MSI Z77A-GD65 / 4x4G DDR3 1333Mhz / Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Ti + NZXT Kraken G12 + Corsair H75 / Seasonic M12II-620 EVO 620W / Kingston SV300 120G (boot) + Western Digital WDC10EFRX 1TB / Fractal Design Focus G / 3x Corsair AF140 + 1x Bitfenix Spectre Pro Black 140 mm

I like Java (it's my go-to language when I want to make some small program just for fun or to deal with cryptographic stuff or RMI) but I am looking forward to learning Scala (one of my teachers said it had some very interesting features).

I don't like the Lisp family. Had to write an AI for a game in that language and it was... messy at best!

C# followed closely by C++. C# only gets the edge because of it being so useful in Windows based machines not to mention Unity game development.

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really all the knowledgeable in coding but i tried my luck with python, it just didn't click :( I'm looking forward to uni where i'll have the opportunity to have someone teach me code and have better access to coding resources.

I've been using html in my desktop publishing class and that's been fun :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

what exactly do all you C lovers make exactly? CLI programs?

ps, there is NOTHING that comes close to the development speed/efficiency of C# for windows desktop apps ;D

For writing something quickly: Java

For doing more integrated programs: C++

For heavy duty/intensive stuff: Assembly (Netwide Assembler.)

what exactly do all you C lovers make exactly? CLI programs? ps' date=' there is NOTHING that comes close to the development speed/efficiency of C# for windows desktop apps ;D[/quote']

We could use QT and be just as productive. ;D

I've only had experience with a handful of programming languages, but I'd have to say C so far.

I don't have a favorite, it all comes down to what you need to do. And it's a matter of picking the right tool for the right job.

The one I enjoyed the most so far was Java.

I would have to say C++.

-The guy who you know as CeRi