Would it be stupid to go with z97 over z170?

Thinking of going with the z97 and a 4790k just because of the price difference. Or should i worry about something else? Like that there will be no more cpus coming out for that board and i will have to buy another mobo as well as a cpu in the future? 

the performance with z170 isnt worth the extra money imo stick with z97 and you wont notice any sizable difference in day to day use along with saving a few bucks
unless you care about the $3 you save on your powerbill every year from better efficiency 

what do you wanna do with your rig bro

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

It's not really Stupid, but the benefits of Skylake make it worth it so much more, in particular, the ability to SLI + PCI-E SSD/M.2
If only Nvidia would remove the x8 requirement for SLI...

That said, Haswell performs nearly the same and won't hurt you severely, I'd recommend Skylake however and wait for price drops.

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

Z97 is cheaper no matter how you look at it and the performance jump is not major...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

what do you wanna do with your rig bro

Streaming, Gaming and some video editing. (Not much)

Skylake is slightly better than Haswell but not better than Haswell-E imo, I asked a similar question and ended up going with my second build to another 5820K and can't say I'm not happy, but then again what I do for a living may not be your case, but in all honesty I would wait for the Skylake procs to come out and build on skylake since its soon to be the new standard with DDR4 and M.2 providing better speeds.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

Wait for the locked (non-overclockable) Skylake chips to come out (in the near future) and get one of those instead of a 'K' Skylake chip. You'll get the chipset improvements of the 100 series boards, save a chunk of money and not really miss the overclocking options of the 'K' series chips.

It wouldn't be "stupid" to go for Z97 over Z170, but unless there's a really big price difference (e.g. you find a bundle deal for a good CPU and Z97 board) and you don't mind missing out on the chipset improvements of the 100 series boards (e.g. PCIe storage options) there's no upside to choosing Z97 at the moment, in my opinion.

Thinking of going with the z97 and a 4790k just because of the price difference. Or should i worry about something else? Like that there will be no more cpus coming out for that board and i will have to buy another mobo as well as a cpu in the future?

If your getting a new PC I would go with Z170 if you just looking to upgrade then no.

and the prices may go down slightly but for the most part what you get is what your going to get. CPU's and motherboards tend to stay at a fixed price till they are depleted then they go up till there worthless then no one wants them.

I'd just go with z97

unless you have a big budget

but even in that case i'd go with x99 instead

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

If your getting a new PC I would go with Z170 if you just looking to upgrade then no.

and the prices may go down slightly but for the most part what you get is what your going to get. CPU's and motherboards tend to stay at a fixed price till they are depleted then they go up till there worthless then no one wants them.

Well. Fuck. I just found a good deal tho on the NZXT Phantom red for only 65 dollars. But i guess i will just wait it out but it´s killing me as i have never had a good computer. (Only a typing one from school) I´ll be waiting then.

I'd just go with z97

unless you have a big budget

but even in that case i'd go with x99 instead

x99 is HELLA more expensive. At least here in Swedavia

x99 is HELLA more expensive. At least here i Swedavia

Well. Fuck. I just found a good deal tho on the NZXT Phantom red for only 65 dollars. But i guess i will just wait it out but it´s killing me as i have never had a good computer. (Only a typing one from school) I´ll be waiting then.

Get the case if it a good deal its not like its going to rot.

Get the case if it a good deal its not like its going to rot.

Exactly my thought. It´s a good case. (And brand new) However i dislike a bit the red. But the price is usually the double.

Well. Fuck. I just found a good deal tho on the NZXT Phantom red for only 65 dollars. But i guess i will just wait it out but it´s killing me as i have never had a good computer. (Only a typing one from school) I´ll be waiting

Exactly my thought. It´s a good case. (And brand new) However i dislike a bit the red. But the price is usually the double.

Unless you absolutely love it don't buy it.... there could be a new case released before you build you like more, then what will you do with the phantom?

Unless you absolutely love it don't buy it.... there could be a new case released before you build you like more, then what will you do with the phantom?

I will just sell it for more than i bought it as it´s a flash sale because that company is going bc. But bro. Google it. It aint that bad and it comes with 4 fans and 2 of them are 200mm.

I don't think it's stupid. In fact I just purchased a Z87 board because of the better value.

I couldn't justify the price of Skylake based on gaming benchmarks.

In the future you will probably have to change motherboards anyway when you want to upgrade your CPU.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE