Word document corrupted for no reason?!!

Cs342

Hi guys,

Today I opened up an important essay to continue working on it, but when I did, Microsoft Word said that "The file cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents. Details: The name in the end tag of the element must match the element type in the start tag."

I have no idea what this is or why it is happening, but I spent the last 2 months working on this essay and it is due by the end of the year. I have backed it up to both Dropbox and Google Drive, but unfortunately the problem seems to have been synced to those backups as well. I have a hunch that something happened last week when I was working on it and my computer suddenly shut down for no reason. I haven't opened the essay since then, until today.

Can someone please give me some advice on how to fix this? I would really appreciate it. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Hmm, you know how hotmail/outlook has  a web version of MS Word, can you try to open it in there... Email the .doc or .docx to yourself

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Try and write ".docx" on the end of it. I sounds like a file error. Backup the corrupted file first.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

There's nothing wrong with the filename or extension

There's nothing wrong with the filename or extension

Did the outlook distribution open it?

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Or as a complete last resort, try using something like http://docx-converter.com/widget/ to convert it to a .txt

I am good at computer

Spoiler

You could go to the Dropbox website and try to retrieve a previous version

Even if the computer has synced with dropbox, it allows to view old versions of the document

You could go to the Dropbox website and try to retrieve a previous version

Even if the computer has synced with dropbox, it allows to view old versions of the document

No previous versions 0.0

Try: http://sourceforge.net/projects/damageddocx2txt/

Docx is mostly stylized XML, I have used this program once and it saved my bacon in English class, it extracts only the plain text, so you'll have to reformat a new document yourself!

Other than that MS Office should have saved automatic backups of your document if your computer shutdown randomly there could have been a chance that those backups could have been corrupted beyond repair.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Try: http://sourceforge.net/projects/damageddocx2txt/

Docx is mostly stylized XML, I have used this program once and it saved my bacon in English class, it extracts only the plain text, so you'll have to reformat a new document yourself!

Other than that MS Office should have saved automatic backups of your document if your computer shutdown randomly there could have been a chance that those backups could have been corrupted beyond repair.

Is there a location in Windows where your backups are saved?

Is there a location in Windows where your backups are saved?

Check the Microsoft preferences and somewhere in the preferences there is an option to set your backup location

You can see what is set to and go check it out

Per: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/save-and-recover-a-backup-copy-of-a-document-HA010121250.aspx

The backup should be saved in the original location as the actual file.

The article also explains how to possibly fix corrupted files.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hunch that something happened last week when I was working on it and my computer suddenly shut down for no reason. I haven't opened the essay since then, until today.

Yes, there you are. Seems the file is corrupted due to sudden system shut down. It is one the most common reasons for file corruption. Maybe, there would some minor issues in the file. So I'll suggest to open the file by using Open and Repair. Do these:

Open MS Word > Ctrl+O > select corrupt word document > click on the arrow beside Open button > select Open and Repair.

Remember, this technique only works in minor corruption issues. If word documents are severely corrupted, then it may fail. In such situation anyone can suggest you to check some third-party recovery software. I will recommend you SysInfoTools MS Word Docx Recovery software. You can try its free demo version. It will recover your data from the file.

Download it now.

Yes, there you are. Seems the file is corrupted due to sudden system shut down. It is one the most common reasons for file corruption. Maybe, there would some minor issues in the file. So I'll suggest to open the file by using Open and Repair. Do these:

Open MS Word > Ctrl+O > select corrupt word document > click on the arrow beside Open button > select Open and Repair.

Remember, this technique only works in minor corruption issues. If word documents are severely corrupted, then it may fail. In such situation anyone can suggest you to check some third-party recovery software. I will recommend you SysInfoTools MS Word Docx Recovery software. You can try its free demo version. It will recover your data from the file.

Download it now.

Hey thanks for the reply. I already recovered it into .txt file and redid all the formatting :)

Hey thanks for the reply. I already recovered it into .txt file and redid all the formatting :)

Thanks for letting us know. Seems you are done, right?

Thanks for letting us know. Seems you are done, right?

Yeah!