About a choice i have in school.

theking

Hi people!

Im out for som advice, and before you write ''select the one you think is best'', hear me out. My school allows me to select one of a few new extra subjects to study, and i now have a dilemma.

My two choices as of right now is either a hitchhiking/nature/biology program which will last for an entire week, plus a test. and the other one is to continue studying french, a language at which i'm good at compared to my class and something i quite enjoy. Now you're problably wondering why this is a hard decision, go with french classes. The problem is that this year will contain alot of studying, and i'm saving alot of time by not selecting it, this allows me to enhance my grade on other classes.

Im also wondering if a language like french will help my later on in life, and if it is worth the extra hours of studying every week.

Thanks!

Intel Core i5 4670K | Sapphire R9 290 | Define R4 | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | 8Gb Ballistix | Corsair RM650 | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | Seagate Barracuda 1TB |

Would love to be the owner of the: nAMDvidia Titation 3000 ultra-xt Platinum Edition :D

Do the language. It's better in the long run.

And do bio by itself as a course.

System: Thinkpad T460

Hi people!

Im out for som advice, and before you write ''select the one you think is best'', hear me out. My school allows me to select one of a few new extra subjects to study, and i now have a dilemma.

My two choices as of right now is either a hitchhiking/nature/biology program which will last for an entire week, plus a test. and the other one is to continue studying french, a language at which i'm good at compared to my class and something i quite enjoy. Now you're problably wondering why this is a hard decision, go with french classes. The problem is that this year will contain alot of studying, and i'm saving alot of time by not selecting it, this allows me to enhance my grade on other classes.

Im also wondering if a language like french will help my later on in life, and if it is worth the extra hours of studying every week.

Thanks!

Where do you live? In the US?

Do the language. It's better in the long run.

And do bio by itself as a course.

Will it help me to like have a better CV and stuff, i'm inexperienced when it comes to things like this

Intel Core i5 4670K | Sapphire R9 290 | Define R4 | Gigabyte Z87X-D3H | 8Gb Ballistix | Corsair RM650 | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | Seagate Barracuda 1TB |

Would love to be the owner of the: nAMDvidia Titation 3000 ultra-xt Platinum Edition :D

Where do you live? In the US?

Sweden :)

Will it help me to like have a better CV and stuff, i'm inexperienced when it comes to things like this

What is CV?

Languages are always good, so I'd go for French if I were you, if you do think it will severely damage your other grades then you're in a tougher spot. 

i'm a potato

Another language can definitely be helpful, not just for travelling but for careers. Can you see yourself needing French in a future career? What would you get out of the nature program besides freeing up some time to focus on other courses? Figure out the pros and cons of each option and write them down, then see which one is the best choice!

Hi people!

Thanks!

From an American perspective, I find French to be completely useless to learn,  though it could probably look good on a resume, as well could be a necessity for your future career.  However it could or could be relevant to where you live, so I don't know. Honestly, I would do what either interests you the most so you don't bring down your morale over the course of your study. Besides, you can always study French on the side :)

junker build in the making

Sweden :)

Okay I was going to say in the US French is useless unless you travel a lot.

Languages are always good, so I'd go for French if I were you, if you do think it will severely damage your other grades then you're in a tougher spot. 

It won't do that as long as im diciplined, and if i know myself right i can be rather lazy at times :D

-snip-

Yeah, it would be a bit harder but I would personally go for French.

It will be harder indeed, or at least more time consuming, but I think it will pay off in the long term (as French could be a really good basis to learn other Latin languages like Spanish, Italian, Portugese and.. Latin)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

A CV is a resume.

Lol i didnt think of that 

Understood, this is why im asking :D

How is French useless in the US with a world where business meetings can go over the internet now?  :huh:

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Another language can definitely be helpful, not just for travelling but for careers. Can you see yourself needing French in a future career? What would you get out of the nature program besides freeing up some time to focus on other courses? Figure out the pros and cons of each option and write them down, then see which one is the best choice!

I will! ty. i think that french is something that can help me, but i do not want to have a really stressfull year...

A CV is a resume.

Oh lol must be a Euro thing...

Lol i didnt think of that 

Yes it will help you on a resume saying X years of French and a good level of proficiency. 

I would strongly advise you to not take an "elective" type class that will take away from main courses whose marks are required to progress.  

I did senior French just because and I must say it was a waste of time which I could have put into other courses which I did fine in anyway but maybe I could have done better. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

French. Good in Europe as one of the primary languages and good in us, for the eventual collapse you can fly over to europe with less pain then needed by knowing the language :D

From an American perspective, I find French to be completely useless to learn,  though it could probably look good on a resume, as well could be a necessity for your future career.  However it could or could be relevant to where you live, so I don't know. Honestly, I would do what either interests you the most so you don't bring down your morale over the course of your study. Besides, you can always study French on the side :)

You're right, the bad thing for me though is that the biology thing is quite enjoyable too... hmm decisions

Oh lol must be a Euro thing...

yeah sorry haha

How is French useless in the US with a world where business meetings can go over the internet now?  :huh:

I mean day-to-day use in the US. Most people speak English and Spanish. Studying Spanish would be much more useful.

I will! ty. i think that french is something that can help me, but i do not want to have a really stressfull year...

I kind of had the same dilemma going into this school year. Where I am you need to take a second language up to the grade 11 level to get into many universities. I've done that, and was considering taking French in grade 12, but in the end decided against it to give me time to focus on scholarship applications and other grad prep. I'm not planning on using French in my career so I don't feel like I am missing out on anything.