Gtx 980 or 980 ti?

Bastbog

Hello!

First, i'm sorry if this already has a topic but i couldn't see one.

Well as the title says i'm due for a gpu upgrade and i can't decide on what to buy after many hours searching.

My primary concern is to "futureproof" my rig so i'm thinking like this:

980ti

Almost same performance as an Titan X but cost way less

6gb seems good for futureproofing reasons

Maybe overkill?

Good price

Can get 60fps with high or ultra on any current game.

Will get replaced sooner because of the 4gb memory

I am currently running a 1080p 60hz monitor so right now the 980ti might be (is) a little overkill, but a few years from now it might perform as good as a 980 does today. Am i thinking way wrong? 

Currently leaning against either the 980 ti G1 or 980 ti strix. Thanks for any help.

the 980 ti due to its price to performance would be a much better choice.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

I would get a 980Ti, and I own a 980.

That said my 980 is really fairly overkill for my 1080 60hz monitor. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

They're both overkill for 1080p 60hz but it wanted to pick between the two than go for the 980Ti although you only really need a 390 for 1080p 60hz

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

I bought a 980 strix and played some witcher 3 on it and got around 70fps, so thats why i started thinking about the 980ti. Because if an even more demanding game would come out it would maybe get under the dreaded 60 mark.

I sold the 980 and was going to buy a 980ti but then i stopped and thought, maybe i'm just wasting money on this.

Thanks for all the replies though! Seems like you also think the 980ti is a better choice

Heyyo,

Price-to-performance wise? The GTX 980 Ti scales surprisingly well in the USA... but you should definitely check your prices. In some places in the world? The markup on the GTX 980 Ti is quite high compared to the GTX 980.

For USA and Gigabyte Gaming editions?

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=185,224&sort=a8&page=1&m=18

$509.99 GTX 980 Gaming

$688.99 GTX 980 Ti Gaming

so about 35% price difference.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

I would go 980ti,

but there is an in between, the R9 fury, and you could potentially unlock it to reach near 980ti levels ( but I would still go 980 ti if you have the $ )

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

The best price/performance cards are the GTX 970 and GTX 980 Ti. The GTX 980 wasn't worth the price when it offered 10% better performance than the 970.

Cheezus!

You can get a 980 ti for 688,99??

Over here it's about 930 us dollars depending on which brand you choose

980 ti because you want to future proof it, and if you want to sli in the future it's gonna be better than a 980 sli

980 ti because you want to future proof it, and if you want to sli in the future it's gonna be better than a 980 sli

980 ti sli would be beastly, almost a must to purchase a 4k monitor then

If you are gaming at 1080p @ 60Hz, no reason to get anything more than a 970 at the moment and you could even get away with a 4GB 960 if you wanted.  If you want more power due to "future" games, then get a lower card now and wait for those"future" games to come out and when they do, get a future GPU as you never know what features the new GPU's might have that you want.