Intel i5 4699k or i5 6600k?

I'm building my first PC and I had the part list all done, but then I heard about this new whole sky lake thing. I was planning on using an i5 4690k, but my brother is telling me to get the new one. Are the improvements Intel made worth it to switch out the CPU and motherboard, which would bump up the price about $100, or just keep it the same and stick with the current generation chipset?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sGBFkL

you'll be fine with the haswell chip. although i do recommend you get a different ssd, and maybe use the  extra $100 to upgrade the video card.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

I would just stick with 1150 for now, the performance since Sandy bridge has only increased.by 14%. So jumping from Z97 to Z170 right now isn't worth it.

For $100 you could switch to a 4790K, which will outperform the 6600K in rendering, editing, multitasking and other things. Either stick with the 4690K or move to the 4790K. 

EDIT: Switch out the SSD for something else. The V300 is pretty bad. 

EDIT 2: 4699K? xD

To be fair to the V300 it depends on if it is the original or newer model.  The new ones are the failure ones with the terrible r/w.

True, but it's hard to tell which one you're getting when ordering online. Better to just go with something that isn't a gamble xD

I would just stick with 1150 for now, the performance since Sandy bridge has only increased.by 14%. So jumping from Z97 to Z170 right now isn't worth it.

Unless you want more PCIe lanes and M.2 Slots, along with USB 3.1.

I'm actually going to say 6600K. If you can stretch the budget to accommodate the new board and ram now it should save you money because then you just need to upgrade the chip.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

theres not anymore pci lanes in skylake then haswell

Yes, there is. Not on the CPU itself, but the Z170 chipset allows for mobo PCIe lanes, more used for things like PCIe storage.

theres not anymore pci lanes in skylake then haswell

Research before u post.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

For $100 you could switch to a 4790K, which will outperform the 6600K in rendering, editing, multitasking and other things.

For $200 plus motherboard you could get a 5820k. You can always get something better if you're willing to spend a shit tonne for it, what's your point?

For $200 plus motherboard you could get a 5820k. You can always get something better if you're willing to spend a shit tonne for it, what's your point?

Did you read his post? He said that it would cost $100 for him to move to the 6600K, hence my recommendation to go for a 4790K over it, or to stick with the 4690K. That's my point. 

If the price is similar for the components (DDR4+s1151 motherboard+i5 6600k) then get the 6600k.

Edit: NVM that, it depends on whether or not the new features are worth $100 to you.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL