Is a samsung SM951 worth it?

JavierG

Hey guys, I'm in a conundrum. I'm going to purchase a new computer and the mother board I'm interested in has an ultra m.2 slot so I was thinking of buying a SM951 as the OS drive. BUT after doing some research here I found out that maybe its not the best investment. I mainly do photography work via photoshop and hopefully if all goes well and I have money for a new DSLR then video as well (but not yet).

The components I'm interested in buying for the mother board are as follows:

Asrock Z97 Extreme6/3.1

Intel Core i7-4770 haswel

G.skill Ripjaws X series 32 GB (4x 8GB)

Corsair Ax760

samsung 850 EVO 500GB

WD black series 2TB

I was thinking of buying the SM951 to have "instant" boot time and program loading, but seems that in that regard its not like a normal ssd would not perform fast in those tasks. Also right now only the AHCI version is out no nvme. The other thing is that if I use the ultra m.2 slot then I will not have a 16x slot for a future graphics card.

Any suggestions? o yeah and those who ask since I game very little at the moment I'll use the onboard video for now.

Hey guys, I'm in a conundrum. I'm going to purchase a new computer and the mother board I'm interested in has an ultra m.2 slot so I was thinking of buying a SM951 as the OS drive. BUT after doing some research here I found out that maybe its not the best investment. I mainly do photography work via photoshop and hopefully if all goes well and I have money for a new DSLR then video as well (but not yet).

The components I'm interested in buying for the mother board are as follows:

Asrock Z97 Extreme6/3.1

Intel Core i7-4770 haswel

G.skill Ripjaws X series 32 GB (4x 8GB)

Corsair Ax760

samsung 850 EVO 500GB

WD black series 2TB

I was thinking of buying the SM951 to have "instant" boot time and program loading, but seems that in that regard its not like a normal ssd would not perform fast in those tasks. Also right now only the AHCI version is out no nvme. The other thing is that if I use the ultra m.2 slot then I will not have a 16x slot for a future graphics card.

Any suggestions? o yeah and those who ask since I game very little at the moment I'll use the onboard video for now.

Swap the z97 board for an h97 one since the 4770 is locked. Also why wouldn't you have a16x slot if you use an m.2 ssd?

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

I'm not really into over clocking so I know about the locked processor the ram is 1600 as well... Well I don't know if there are enough lanes after connecting the sm951 to the m.2 ultra slot...

I'm not really into over clocking so I know about the locked processor the ram is 1600 as well... Well I don't know if there are enough lanes after connecting the sm951 to the m.2 ultra slot...

The m.2 slot will use a maximum of 4 pcie 3.0 lanes, and gpus run %99 the same with 8 lanes versus 16 lanes so it wouldn't make a difference.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

Still will it help with boot up times and program loading THAT much?

Still will it help with boot up times and program loading THAT much?

Yes it will. SSDs, especially super fast ones like the SM951 speed up boot and load times a great deal. Other than that there aren't any other substantial performance increases with getting an SSD.

Spoiler

OK so if I understood you, If I purchase the sm951 and connect it to the ultra m.2 slot I can still connect a future graphics card in 16x? (even though you mention that rarely does it run at 16x, mostly 8x).... AND it will help substantially on boot time and program loading...

OK so if I understood you, If I purchase the sm951 and connect it to the ultra m.2 slot I can still connect a future graphics card in 16x? (even though you mention that rarely does it run at 16x, mostly 8x).... AND it will help substantially on boot time and program loading...

Yes the card will still go in the 16x slot but most likely wont use all 16  lanes, it will use 8 lanes. And it will speed up your boot and load times significantly.

Spoiler