Piracy Acceptable?

MLG_Dwarf_

Condoning or admitting to being involved with the theft or illegal distribution of copyrighted materials is against CoC @MLG_Dwarf_

Should read up on it, I hear the coc has a lot of cool things in it.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

if you dont got the money, then you dont get it, simple as that.

And dont come with the argument that the corporations are rich and its overpriced. it doesnt matter. People still worked hard on it and they deserve something in return. ;)

I don't know why everyone is being tight lipped around here when it comes to piracy. We can talk about it, we just can't provide any sources for it.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/95599-linus-tech-tips-forum-code-of-conduct/

6. Piracy, Copyright Material, Cracks and Product Keys

• "Copyright Material" is any material protected by legally recognized copyright;
  • "Piracy" is the unauthorized copying of software or any material subject to copyright;
  • "Cracks" are programs that disable copy-protection technology;
  • A "Key" is a combination of numbers and/or letters required for software installation.

You may not request, distribute, link to or enable any activities which involve the procurement or distribution of pirated software, product cracks or keys or the supply, exchange or distribution of any copyright material including TV recordings. Doing so may result in the termination of your account without notice. In addition, any of the following violations are grounds for action being taken on your post and/or account:

• Seeking help to create or find cracks.
  • Seeking missing files that are supplied with copyrighted installation CD(s)
  • Admitting to being involved in the distribution of copyrighted software/media, cracks and product keys.
  • Requesting or discussing the trade, sale, exchange or supply of any copyrighted material including (but not limited) to TV recordings, DVDs, movies, music, software etc.
  • Identifying torrents sources or websites where copyright material may be obtained.
  • Provide or request login details for restricted websites.

Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of our management.

The only one OP has broken is admitting to it, but even then tons of people on the forum have been doing so.

As for my thoughts on it, piracy is actually legal in some countries, so download away. However, most countries don't condone it, so in that case I'd say it's acceptable if you want a copy of something you've already payed for OR you should be able to download something if it isn't in production/available anymore, so legally you can't buy it anyway. Also I think it's acceptable to pirate a game if you only want to see if it's playable on your machine.

The only one OP has broken is admitting to it, but even then tons of people on the forum have been doing so.

He didn't admit to distributing anything, which is the only thing mentioned in the rule.

MS has faced numerous antitrust lawsuits, is currently investigated for corruption (bribing Romanian officials), is a partner in the NSA's PRISM program, has an EULA that provides a blank cheque to snoop around in your PC and sell your info to their "trusted partners" (whose names they don't want to disclose, making me wonder if those partners are trustworthy at all), the list of scummy and corrupt practices goes on and on.

But don't you dare to download the OS without paying beforehand, because you will be considered the scum of the earth and should be crucified (preferably in public if they have their way) to set an example.

Justice is relative, man-made laws are suggestions, and the only true laws are the laws of physics because they cannot be broken. Do whatever the hell you want, but don't come complaining to me when you get sued for copyright infringement. The only things that limit you in life are your moral compass, simple risk/reward calculations, and the punishment inflicted on you by your fellow man. I'm not going to openly condone any questionable activities because of the whole forum Code of Conduct thing, but I'm also not going to tell you how to live your life because none of it really matters.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I have pirated a few things in my past and ever since I built my PC I have mostly stopped. However I recently pirated windows 10 so I was wondering what everyone's opinions are on the matter. Is it acceptable if it's a triple A game and not if its indie? I would like to hear everyone opinion.

Don't do it, son

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

I don't know why everyone is being tight lipped around here when it comes to piracy. We can talk about it, we just can't provide any sources for it.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/95599-linus-tech-tips-forum-code-of-conduct/

As for my thoughts on it, piracy is actually legal in some countries, so download away. However, most countries don't condone it, so in that case I'd say it's acceptable if you want a copy of something you've already payed for OR you should be able to download something if it isn't in production/available anymore, so legally you can't buy it anyway. Also I think it's acceptable to pirate a game if you only want to see if it's playable on your machine.

COUGH COUGH COUGH

• Requesting or discussing the trade, sale, exchange or supply of any copyrighted material including (but not limited) to TV recordings, DVDs, movies, music, software etc.
  • Identifying torrents sources or websites where copyright material may be obtained.

whole point of this thread is to discuss the trade/exchange of copyrighted material. 

piracy is not theft. thats a fact

only because its convenient to you. let's say I  make music for a living. to reach a larger audience, and because people wanted it, I go digital only. now I have very few sales because my music is just pirated. you're telling me that's not theft?

here, lets put it this way. if you made a living making music, how would you feel if people physically recorded your music that was being played over speakers? your not losing anything. but they are still stealing your content without paying

nTofzNE.png

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I personaly pirate to try out the game or software first and then if it suites what i need or like then ill buy it. But only when I have enough money. The big problem is when corporations like Microsoft or big game companies think its acceptable to charge massive amounts of money for pieces of code. Yes they put a lot of work into it, but when its done its very close to free to distribute to the consumers. They get paid from the money made by the game sales but only a small amount actually goes to the developers, the rest go into the company coffers to give the company even more of a profit that they didn't really earn when the work was all done by the people at the bottom. The coders and graphic designers. If they were making the majority of the money i wouldnt have that much of a problem.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

It may be acceptable when the software you're pirating is worth excessively large amounts of money. Then again, for each such program there usually exists a free counterpart.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

The way I see it; Intellectual property is still property owned by whoever has the copyright on it. If they don't wish for their property to be downloaded/distributed for free then doing so is theft (in a sense) because you are depriving the owner of potential profits. Add that with the higher risk of malware in pirated content and I don't find myself personally wanting to pirate. Additionally if you don't want to buy a product like Windows because the company overpriced said item, or because their business is "greedy/unethical" then why even support them indirectly by using their products at all? Taking your business, and money, elsewhere is the fastest way to get a competing company to adjust their prices/practices. this is all just my opinion of course...

please use the search function as this topic has been discussed and locked.

LTT position is that we do not condone any participation of this or any other

copyright/security defeat.