Using Internal OS HDD Externally?

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Thanks, I totally forgot about that! (Derp)

Do you recommend using an HDD too USB adapter, or do I find another way?

EDIT: oh, and can you please explain what an SSHD is? (I really don't get it)

For 2.5" drives you won't need an additional power cord so a simple SATA to USB cable would be enough. For 3.5" drives you would need extra power. Docking stations are also an option. External enclosures (without or with power supply, respectively) can also be a solution. 

A SSHD stands for Solid State Hybrid Drive which is basically a regular HDD that is using a small (usually a 8GB) SSD for caching. These drives calculate what you use mostly on your computer (such as games, the OS, applications, etc.) and store their loading files for much faster loading on the SSD portion. Other than that they work like regular drives.
Hybrid drives are great for single-bay setups that are used mostly for just a few things. :)

Captain_WD.

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

I'm looking for a way to use my Operating System HDD as well as at home as well at school. But using it at school would mean that I can't just open up the PC and put my HDD in there.
So, is there a good way to use a 3,5" or a 2,5" HDD externally, without losing too much performance?

Thanks in advance!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

The school would have to let you boot of that HDD drive.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Yes, it will work.

I brought an SSD with Linux on it between work and home for a while.

For what you want, no. I really dont think your school will let you do that. At the local high-school the network is based on active-directory. It is setup that any machine on the schools network that is not part of active directory, will be denied network access.

~Judah

as long as you mash the button to select the boot device, and the bios allows for booting off pendrives/ usb storage.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

The school would have to let you boot of that HDD drive.

Yes, it will work.

I brought an SSD with Linux on it between work and home for a while.

For what you want, no. I really dont think your school will let you do that. At the local high-school the network is based on active-directory. It is setup that any machine on the schools network that is not part of active directory, will be denied network access.

as long as you mash the button to select the boot device, and the bios allows for booting off pendrives/ usb storage.

Don't worry, we're even allowed to bring our own laptops. A HDD would be fine.

But what I meant is, should I use a HDD too USB adapter, or something like that? (I probably just worded the question incorrectly)

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

Don't worry, we're even allowed to bring our own laptops. A HDD would be fine.

But what I meant is, should I use a HDD too USB adapter, or something like that? (I probably just worded the question incorrectly)

Schools don't allow you to access the BIOS to change the boot order. At least that's what any schools that cares about its computers would do.

It should be fine, I guess.If I can use live USB sticks, why wouldn't a HDD work?

For this kind of things I use Linux live USB-s with some persistent storage. I currently have like...3 distros(Ubuntu w/ Gnome, Kali and I can't remember the last one) with ~1GB persistent storage each on an 8GB USB stick. Pretty awesome.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Schools don't allow you to access the BIOS to change the boot order. At least that's what any schools that cares about its computers would do.

It should be fine, I guess.If I can use live USB sticks, why wouldn't a HDD work?

For this kind of things I use Linux live USB-s with some persistent storage. I currently have like...3 distros(Ubuntu w/ Gnome, Kali and I can't remember the last one) with ~1GB persistent storage each on an 8GB USB stick. Pretty awesome.

Does an USB go fast enough for heavy programs? I would think that USB 3.0 wouldn't work good as a OS base, especially for heavier programs.

Basic guide to CPU's!

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

I'm looking for a way to use my Operating System HDD as well as at home as well at school. But using it at school would mean that I can't just open up the PC and put my HDD in there.

So, is there a good way to use a 3,5" or a 2,5" HDD externally, without losing too much performance?

Thanks in advance!

Hey there Stijncat,

I doubt that you will be able to boot the same Windows OS on two different computers because of driver differences, licence limitations and general user agreement problems. You could look into portable OSs that allow booting on different systems but I would first check the terms and conditions if this is acceptable both from the OS company and your university.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Stijncat,

I doubt that you will be able to boot the same Windows OS on two different computers because of driver differences, licence limitations and general user agreement problems. You could look into portable OSs that allow booting on different systems but I would first check the terms and conditions if this is acceptable both from the OS company and your university.

Captain_WD.

Basic guide to CPU's!

For 2.5" drives you won't need an additional power cord so a simple SATA to USB cable would be enough. For 3.5" drives you would need extra power. Docking stations are also an option. External enclosures (without or with power supply, respectively) can also be a solution. 

A SSHD stands for Solid State Hybrid Drive which is basically a regular HDD that is using a small (usually a 8GB) SSD for caching. These drives calculate what you use mostly on your computer (such as games, the OS, applications, etc.) and store their loading files for much faster loading on the SSD portion. Other than that they work like regular drives.
Hybrid drives are great for single-bay setups that are used mostly for just a few things. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

-Snip-

Thanks a lot!

Last question, would the SSHD be a good idea for this situation?

Basic guide to CPU's!

Thanks a lot!

Last question, would the SSHD be a good idea for this situation?

You are most welcome :)

If you are going to use the drive just for the OS and a few other applications, it should be a great choice and give you good speed boost. :) 

Captain_WD.

You are most welcome :)

If you are going to use the drive just for the OS and a few other applications, it should be a great choice and give you good speed boost. :)

Captain_WD.

I would be using it for OS, After Effects and programming applications, and the files that belong too them. Should that work?

Basic guide to CPU's!

I would be using it for OS, After Effects and programming applications, and the files that belong too them. Should that work?

It should be good. If you use the programming and editing applications more than other things, they should have their files on the SSD portion and load/work much better compared to if they were on a regular drive. :) It really depends on the drive itself and how it decides how much and which programs you are using mostly and how much files it can store on the SSD portion.

Captain_WD.

It should be good. If you use the programming and editing applications more than other things, they should have their files on the SSD portion and load/work much better compared to if they were on a regular drive. :) It really depends on the drive itself and how it decides how much and which programs you are using mostly and how much files it can store on the SSD portion.

Captain_WD.

I'll be grabbing that then! Thanks a lot!

Basic guide to CPU's!