Ouya Tries To Please Unhappy Kickstarters With $13 Of In-Store Credit

TGBSeth

Although the Ouya is a somewhat cool device, it was touted as being much more impressive when the project was still receiving funding on Kickstarter. As a result, many of the project’s backers have been unhappy with how long it took to receive the device and the people over at Ouya have decided to offer them $13.37 of in-store credit as an apology.

Read More: http://tgbuzz.com/ouya-tries-to-please-unhappy-kickstarters-with-13-of-in-store-credit/

EA!

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

they are failing SO hard right now.

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Ha i doubt this is going to make anyone more happy

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

When they mentioned Android gaming platform in the kickstarter video, I already knew that this was going nowhere. If they were selling it for $20, I wouldn't buy it. Flawed from the start ..

To be honest, I'm completely surprised this even got funded as much as it did.

It's Android people, it's going to go nowhere.

Ouya looked promising, but it jumped in during a hardware race...  Which has been sitting idle until the last couple of years.

My Rigs (past and present)

To be honest, I'm completely surprised this even got funded as much as it did.

It's Android people, it's going to go nowhere.

Android can be good for some things, but to use it as the center of a game console was a horrible idea from the start.

Sort of hard to use all the credit because it ends with 37. I don't think you can get much with $13 imo. If someone wanted to get Final Fantasy 3, they could not get it because they don't have sufficient funds (referring to the price on the play store, not sure if the prices are the same for ouya). If they have given $20 it would be much better imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Why do people dislike this device? I am thinking of getting one if they update the specs to a better CPU with the OUYA 2 or whatever it might be called. Gonna use it as a HTPC.

Why do people dislike this device? I am thinking of getting one if they update the specs to a better CPU with the OUYA 2 or whatever it might be called. Gonna use it as a HTPC.

People dislike it because the Ouya is less powerful than a smartphone. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-16-ouya-beaten-by-phones-in-benchmark-tests

I think they  made an okay device. The problem was that the media blew this out of proportion and claimed it to be the best thing ever. People also didn't have realistic expectations. I mean it is 100$. What did you think it would be?

People dislike it because the Ouya is less powerful than a smartphone. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-16-ouya-beaten-by-phones-in-benchmark-tests

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. It is a mid-range smartphone for 99 dollars. If it had a more powerful CPU, then I would have bought it in a heartbeat and used it as a HTPC. It's not powerful enough to decode 10bit H.264 in software though, so it's kind of useless for me. Using it to stream video and play emulators is all I want it to do, and it does that.

I think they  made an okay device. The problem was that the media blew this out of proportion and claimed it to be the best thing ever. People also didn't have realistic expectations. I mean it is 100$. What did you think it would be?

Yes I think that was the problem. People went "ohh nice I can play Android games on my TV!" and then when they got it they went "this thing just plays Android games on my TV? That's useless.".

ummm.... that article is retarded. it lists the 7850 1gb as the fifth best gpu. i'm not sold.

add to the fact that it is comparing a 99$ console with a controller against a 300$ phone WITH a contract. not sold at all.

the ouya is not a powerhouse console, and yes they should have waited for tegra4 and then shipped then, however it has potential, and android is going places, because it is selling more than ios phones now; that in itself lends to credence saying that open source is gaining popularity, and many industry pro's backed ouya for their own reasons. i think NOTCH of all people know when something has potential.

Yes I think that was the problem. People went "ohh nice I can play Android games on my TV!" and then when they got it they went "this thing just plays Android games on my TV? That's useless.".

This is what had me confused from the very beginning. What android game is worth $100 to play on a TV screen?

If the Ouya was branded and designed for HTPC use from the beginning, I think that'd be an amazing value. Instead, I kept feeling like they wanted to be part of the "next generation" of consoles and focus on "gaming" which made me disappointed.

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

I don't understand the backlash. Its a small box that runs android games on a TV for $99. That's exactly what it was touted as and that is all it does. I didn't back it because I saw it as useless when it was on kick starter and still think its useless. People need to pay more attention to what they back. The ouya was not going to be a blockbuster success.