Would you make the jump from a fx-8350 to a Intel Core i5-6600K?

Well I had the 8350 for awhile, and yeah it doesn't perform that great compare to my brother's 4970k? or whatever the intel number is. I gotta throw down quite a bit of cash to do it, but it seems like it should be worth it in the long run. Even CSGO stutters a bit with the framerate drops..

If so, what corsair closed water CPU cooler should i get with it?

If you can get a 4790K for a similar price (bear in mind you won't have to change RAM for that), then get that instead. It will do well in games and better than a 6600K in rendering and editings type tasks.

Either way, the move to the 6600K is worth it from a 8350, but the 4790K is the better option if it's around the same cost overall. 

I would personally but are you prepared to buy a current board and DDR4 memory to get that CPU?

Personally I would wait for a little while until prices come down a touch

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I would personally but are you prepared to buy a current board and DDR4 memory to get that CPU?

Personally I would wait for a little while until prices come down a touch

Well I been thinking about updating my PC for awhile, and seen that newegg is having this special: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-117-599

Chances are, i think i will regret it if I dont jump on the sale for now.

edit: Im just wondering what aftermarket CPU fan would work with this CPU socket?

I would probably even upgrade to an i7-4790k.

First of all the i7-4790k delivers much higher performance. It has an higher clockspeed and also 8 threads instead of 4.
I know, it's more expensive, but you should already have DDR3 RAM currently in your system, so you don't need to buy that, too.
And Z97 motherboards are pretty cheap these days.

For the i5-6600k you'll need DDR4 RAM, which is still a bit expensive and a new Z170 motherboard, which will also cost a you a little more than a Z97 motherboard.

Well I been thinking about updating my PC for awhile, and seen that newegg is having this special: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-117-599

Chances are, i think i will regret it if I dont jump on the sale for now.

edit: Im just wondering what aftermarket CPU fan would work with this CPU socket?

I would have thought any 1155, 1156 or 1150 coolers would fit 1151 because I think the socket footprint are identical though I could be wrong.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

If you can get a 4790K for a similar price (bear in mind you won't have to change RAM for that), then get that instead. It will do well in games and better than a 6600K in rendering and editings type tasks.

Either way, the move to the 6600K is worth it from a 8350, but the 4790K is the better option if it's around the same cost overall. 

way better to go with the 4790k

Imo, the cost of skylake (including RAM, Mobo, CPU) wont justify the increase in performance at all... the $ pr FPS ratio, for gaming, will be atrochiously bad unless you only play games who use single or dual cores

I would have thought any 1155, 1156 or 1150 coolers would fit 1151 because I think the socket footprint are identical though I could be wrong.

Yep, pretty much all of the coolers for the 1150 socket will work on 1151. 

I believe your best option is to instead get the 4790k, and a good quality mobo. The difference in ram will be hardly noticeable between ddr3 and ddr4. It'll save you money, and the 4790k isn't even outdated by the least bit.

way better to go with the 4790k

Imo, the cost of skylake (including RAM, Mobo, CPU) wont justify the increase in performance at all... the $ pr FPS ratio, for gaming, will be atrochiously bad unless you only play games who use single or dual cores

Yep. Right now Skylake doesn't make much sense for an upgrade. It's only a little more to step up to X99 when you factor in the RAM and mobo changes. 

I apologize guys for the confusion, my brother has a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372 . I wanted to get something with more power, and noticed you guys are talking about the 4790k is that this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

My main games are CSGO (any valve game), and MMOs. (hopeing to play wildstar when f2p, and thinking about getting back into guild wars 2 as my fx-8350 plays like shit on that).

Yep. Right now Skylake doesn't make much sense for an upgrade. It's only a little more to step up to X99 when you factor in the RAM and mobo changes. 

not to mention, if you do not mind 30-45 FPS in games, the FX 8350 can still hold its own for another 6 months, if you OC it, maybe even until ZEN....

not to mention, if you do not mind 30-45 FPS in games, the FX 8350 can still hold its own for another 6 months, if you OC it, maybe even until ZEN....

No. The 8350 is not a good choice for gaming, especially not if he's considering X99. And ZEN isn't rumoured to be ready until 2017, and it's not confirmed if it will be a high end, high power per core CPU. Last I saw they were working on some stupidly high core count ZEN CPU. 

I apologize guys for the confusion, my brother has a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372 . I wanted to get something with more power, and noticed you guys are talking about the 4790k is that this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

My main games are CSGO (any valve game), and MMOs. (hopeing to play wildstar when f2p, and thinking about getting back into guild wars 2 as my fx-8350 plays like shit on that).

You don't need a 4790K for games. It helps with things like video editing and rendering. While it's technically more powerful, you won't see any different performance in games when compared to your brother's CPU. 

You don't need a 4790K for games. It helps with things like video editing and rendering. While it's technically more powerful, you won't see any different performance in games when compared to your brother's CPU. 

Would the i7 out perform him when it comes to MMOs? I thought in general, that i7 is faster than the i5 am I correct?

Wouldn't the i7 out perform him when it comes to MMOs? I thought in general, that i7 is faster than the i5 am I correct?

No, MMOs are more CPU demanding, but they won't benefit from a 4790K over a 4690K, both are more than powerful enough to deal with them. 

The 4790K is essentially the same CPU, but with hyperthreading. It has a slightly higher base clock, but in games it won't matter. 

No. The 8350 is not a good choice for gaming, especially not if he's considering X99. And ZEN isn't rumoured to be ready until 2017, and it's not confirmed if it will be a high end, high power per core CPU. Last I saw they were working on some stupidly high core count ZEN CPU. 

well, they have stated already that by going to SMT, they are non the less getting 40% increase in IPC over Excavator. Excavator is like 25% over Piledriver in IPC... So yeah... it will be at Haswell levels.. give or take a few % above or below.

They are doing a node shrink + they have NO igpu. Which means DIE wise, they got what? 40% more space to put CPU cores? compared to a intel I5/i7 which DO have igpu....

No, MMOs are more CPU demanding, but they won't benefit from a 4790K over a 4690K, both are more than powerful enough to deal with them. 

The 4790K is essentially the same CPU, but with hyperthreading. It has a slightly higher base clock, but in games it won't matter. 

They sort of will. i7 4790k has higher base and turbo frequencies then i5 4690k. So out of the box, you will get a few more FPS non the less... i7 is brilliant if you do a lot of backgroun stuff, like streaming.

well, they have stated already that by going to SMT, they are non the less getting 40% increase in IPC over Excavator. Excavator is like 25% over Piledriver in IPC... So yeah... it will be at Haswell levels.. give or take a few % above or below.

They are doing a node shrink + they have NO igpu. Which means DIE wise, they got what? 40% more space to put CPU cores? compared to a intel I5/i7 which DO have igpu....

Still, it's rumours and uncertain performance. Not something to hold out potentially over a year for. 

And if they are shoving loads of cores in there, it could still mean weak single cores. 

Still, it's rumours and uncertain performance. Not something to hold out potentially over a year for. 

And if they are shoving loads of cores in there, it could still mean weak single cores. 

IPC is IPC. If you can get moderate (3GHz or above) clock speeds and haswell levels of IPC, give or take a few %. Then cores will be pretty much the same. The only difference from haswell would be how they decide to do the Cache system.

And the 16 core 32 thread thingy that was mentioned, that was their server chip i think.

So, from my understanding, if I have the extra moneys I should get an i7, if not get a i5?

So, from my understanding, if I have the extra moneys I should get an i7, if not get a i5?

i7 4790k specifically. Do not get skylake i7. That is wasting your money.

Skylake is going to cost you 150 USD more then Haswell (4790k). Skylake is 10% ish faster then Haswell (4790k).... 150+ USD for 10%. NOT WORTH IT!!!!

I would rather go from an 8350 to an i7 cpu. True the overall strength of an i5 is similar to an FX 8-core, but some game engines (especially Frostbite engine) and some software will be slower or even stutter with an i5, regardless of IPC or clocks. Just my 2 cents from my own experience. definitely get an i7.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

yes. 6600k is a good choice 4 u.

already bought the i7 lol