More game consoles in the industry?

AmyLane
Go to solution Solved by Volbet,

What other consoles from the '90's are you refering to? Becuase as I remember it, you had Nintendo and Sega, and a bit later you also had Sony.

But then Sega went belly up, and you were left with Nintendo and Sony.

If you are refering to systems like the Philips CD-I, the Apple Pippin, and the 3DO, non of those were huge sellers. 

Not enough to make an impact into the market anyway.

But to answer your question: If a new company wanted to enter the console market, they would need a pretty big pile of cash to back them up.

Making a console is expensive, and getting the game studios to make games (and maybe even exclusives) can be really expensive, if the studios don't see a future in your console. 

Just look at how it went with the Ouya.

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some research on wikipedia, back in the early 90's there were many different game consoles available for purchase, but most of them seemed to have failed for different reasons, fast forward 20 or so years and we only have three big players left, I was just wondering, if a new company came along with a new console and a new range of IPs would would it stand a chance of success because competition is good and helps bring innovation into the industry or should that company instead make games for the other consoles?

Many Thanks

Amy ^_^ 

What other consoles from the '90's are you refering to? Becuase as I remember it, you had Nintendo and Sega, and a bit later you also had Sony.

But then Sega went belly up, and you were left with Nintendo and Sony.

If you are refering to systems like the Philips CD-I, the Apple Pippin, and the 3DO, non of those were huge sellers. 

Not enough to make an impact into the market anyway.

But to answer your question: If a new company wanted to enter the console market, they would need a pretty big pile of cash to back them up.

Making a console is expensive, and getting the game studios to make games (and maybe even exclusives) can be really expensive, if the studios don't see a future in your console. 

Just look at how it went with the Ouya.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Actually its 2 Major players, 1 tiny player, and the PCmasterrace