RAM frequency/timings out of the box

Go to solution Solved by Sakkura,

Did you enable XMP? It probably defaulted to the JEDEC profile with 800 MHz and 11-11-11-28 timings, so you have to enable XMP to get those tighter timings.

And yes, it's completely normal for memory to default to slower speeds when first installed. That minimizes the risk of boot problems.

I have 8GB (2x4GB) of G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 installed. The product page says the timings are 9-9-9-24-2N. When I looked at CPU-Z I got confused.

930KXzq.png
N82TZ5J.png

The Memory tab shows 11-11-11-28 and then the SPD tab shows what I can only assume are profiles, with XMP matching 9-9-9-24 from the product page.

Does this mean that RAM doesn't run at its maximum frequency and timings out of the box? Is this true of all RAM? Is there a point in changing the settings?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

I have 8GB (2x4GB) of G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 installed. The product page says the timings are 9-9-9-24-2N. When I looked at CPU-Z I got confused.

930KXzq.png

N82TZ5J.png

The Memory tab shows 11-11-11-28 and then the SPD tab shows what I can only assume are profiles, with XMP matching 9-9-9-24 from the product page.

Does this mean that RAM doesn't run at its maximum frequency and timings out of the box? Is this true of all RAM? Is there a point in changing the settings?

I'm going to assume this RAM isn't on your QVL list.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Did you enable XMP? It probably defaulted to the JEDEC profile with 800 MHz and 11-11-11-28 timings, so you have to enable XMP to get those tighter timings.

And yes, it's completely normal for memory to default to slower speeds when first installed. That minimizes the risk of boot problems.

I'm going to assume this RAM isn't on your QVL list.

???

I didn't touch any of the BIOS settings related to RAM so I don't think XMP is enabled. Do most people have XMP enabled? Is this different from overclocking RAM?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

This. That's a pure default JEDEC profile for 1600 MHz, @nims0c go to BIOS and enable the XMP profile

This is a signature.

???

I didn't touch any of the BIOS settings related to RAM so I don't think XMP is enabled. Do most people have XMP enabled? Is this different from overclocking RAM?

Most people with RAM at 1600+ use XMP. It's not really overclocking, at least it's much easier and safer than manual overclocking.

???

The RAM you have, its not on your motherboards QVL list.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

This. That's a pure default JEDEC profile for 1600 MHz, @nims0c go to BIOS and enable the XMP profile

Will do.

Most people with RAM at 1600+ use XMP. It's not really overclocking, at least it's much easier and safer than manual overclocking.

I see. I guess I didn't enable XMP because I thought it had to do with manual RAM overclocking or something. I just built my first PC and it's one thing to put pieces together and another to know the intricacies of the BIOS, etc.

The RAM you have, its not on your motherboards QVL list.

Oh, I didn't even know that was a thing. I keep seeing people just say to get the cheapest RAM that you like so I did. It's working fine though.

Will do.

I see. I guess I didn't enable XMP because I thought it had to do with manual RAM overclocking or something. I just built my first PC and it's one thing to put pieces together and another to know the intricacies of the BIOS, etc.

Oh, I didn't even know that was a thing. I keep seeing people just say to get the cheapest RAM that you like so I did. It's working fine though.

Yea, this is why QVL is important.  Just because something is functional doesn't mean it works.  Check your QVL list.

Spoiler

Yea, this is why QVL is important.  Just because something is functional doesn't mean it works.  Check your QVL list.

Like I said, people keep hammering that RAM is RAM so I didn't know any better. But since the RAM is working in this system (and has been for the past 2 months) am I still limited somehow just because it's not on the QVL?

Like I said, people keep hammering that RAM is RAM so I didn't know any better. But since the RAM is working in this system (and has been for the past 2 months) am I still limited somehow just because it's not on the QVL?

I don't know how to make it any more clear, just because RAM will function doesn't mean that it is working properly.  Same way with all the other components in a computer.

I still don't know the motherboard you're using, and even if I did we cant change the QVL list.

Spoiler

No. The QVL doesn't really matter. It's just a list of memory the motherboard company happened to have on hand to test. Other memory is still usually going to work just fine (it's just not verified).

I don't know how to make it any more clear, just because RAM will function doesn't mean that it is working properly.  Same way with all the other components in a computer.

I still don't know the motherboard you're using, and even if I did we cant change the QVL list.

ASRock H97M-ITX/ac. The RAM is not on the QVL. I went ahead and enabled XMP and the timings are now 9-9-9-24.

Can you elaborate or give me an example of RAM "functioning but not working properly"?

No. The QVL doesn't really matter. It's just a list of memory the motherboard company happened to have on hand to test. Other memory is still usually going to work just fine (it's just not verified).

That's what I read in other threads too after hearing about QVL. It doesn't seem to be useful because it's not an exhaustive list and other kits seem to be ok.

ASRock H97M-ITX/ac. The RAM is not on the QVL. I went ahead and enabled XMP and the timings are now 9-9-9-24.

Can you elaborate or give me an example of RAM "functioning but not working properly"?

That's what I read in other threads too after hearing about QVL. It doesn't seem to be useful because it's not an exhaustive list and other kits seem to be ok.

That's exactly it though.  If it isn't verified you cant guarantee it.  I'm glad that your timings are now on par with what you expected.  The idea behind XMP and AMP is that you can get more memory to be fully compatible on more platforms.

Basically, if your motherboard had a better QVL list, or if your RAM was on the QVL list, XMP and AMP wouldn't be needed at all.  Not only that, it is more than just speed its also stability.  Like I said before, your ram is probably just fine just if it isn't on the QVL list you wont ever KNOW that until you have done spent the money and tried it for yourself.

Spoiler

That's exactly it though.  If it isn't verified you cant guarantee it.  I'm glad that your timings are now on par with what you expected.  The idea behind XMP and AMP is that you can get more memory to be fully compatible on more platforms.

Basically, if your motherboard had a better QVL list, or if your RAM was on the QVL list, XMP and AMP wouldn't be needed at all.  Not only that, it is more than just speed its also stability.  Like I said before, your ram is probably just fine just if it isn't on the QVL list you wont ever KNOW that until you have done spent the money and tried it for yourself.

That makes sense. Now I know about QVL. Thanks for your help.