Adding a second set of 16GB memory X99?

Go to solution Solved by smith315pm,

It will be the exact same kit. I'm only worried because some manufactures have said that you can possibly run into issues if you do not by the kit in one package. Have you bought you ddr4 ram in one kit or in different kits (like two 16gb kits)?

i was sold a kit of hyperx predator ddr4 3000mhz from a uk company. i was sold a 16gb kit as 2x8gb to find out later that this is just half a 32gb kit and should under no circumstances be sold the way it was to me. i noticed a lot of micro stutter in demanding games such as the witcher which was solved when i purchased a proper 32 gb kit of 4 dims. hyperx themselves were the ones that told me the items i was using were incorrect and should not be used like that. so to be safe i would buy a proper 32gb kit and sell on the old ones better than that just send an email to kingston hyperx department. they were very quick to respond to me (less than 12 hours) and was also very helpful

Right now I have the HyperX Predator 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2400mhz Quad channel memory. I was thinking of getting a second set to have 32GB of RAM (I have 8 DIMM slots on my MB). The only problem I heard was that you might run into problems with having two sets of RAM in you X99 MB. Will it work or no?

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

There shouldn't be any issues as long as the voltages match. The ram can even be a different colour if you so choose. 

But why?

I can easily fill up my ram when render in After Effects and creating a 3D scene in Blender. More ram would be great and I don't plan to upgrade my ram for years (like probably 5-7 years hopefully or more as DDR4 will be here for a while)

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

There shouldn't be any issues as long as the voltages match. The ram can even be a different colour if you so choose. 

It will be the exact same kit. I'm only worried because some manufactures have said that you can possibly run into issues if you do not by the kit in one package. Have you bought you ddr4 ram in one kit or in different kits (like two 16gb kits)?

Spoiler

But why?

he asked a perfectly reasonable question. why respond with another question? he wanted an answer. if you dont have the answer then why respond. people dont only buy pc's to game ya know

• CPU
    Intel i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Formuula VIII
  • RAM
    16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1080 ti
  • Case
    Be Quiet Silent Base
  • Storage
    256GB Samsung Pro M.2 SSD and 2TB Samsung SSD
  • PSU
    Corsair AX860
  • Display(s)
    Asus Rog Swift pg279q, 165Hz IPS
  • Cooling
    Be Quiet Dark Rock 3
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman Elite
  • Mouse
    Mionix Castor (waiting on stock for the G Pro Wireless)
  • Sound
    Asus Xonar Essence stx, Audioengine A5+, Sennheiser HD650

i was sold a kit of hyperx predator ddr4 3000mhz from a uk company. i was sold a 16gb kit as 2x8gb to find out later that this is just half a 32gb kit and should under no circumstances be sold the way it was to me. i noticed a lot of micro stutter in demanding games such as the witcher which was solved when i purchased a proper 32 gb kit of 4 dims. hyperx themselves were the ones that told me the items i was using were incorrect and should not be used like that. so to be safe i would buy a proper 32gb kit and sell on the old ones better than that just send an email to kingston hyperx department. they were very quick to respond to me (less than 12 hours) and was also very helpful

• CPU
    Intel i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1080 ti
  • Case
    Be Quiet Silent Base
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair AX860
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Be Quiet Dark Rock 3
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman Elite
  • Mouse
  • Sound

i was sold a kit of hyperx predator ddr4 3000mhz from a uk company. i was sold a 16gb kit as 2x8gb to find out later that this is just half a 32gb kit and should under no circumstances be sold the way it was to me. i noticed a lot of micro stutter in demanding games such as the witcher which was solved when i purchased a proper 32 gb kit of 4 dims. hyperx themselves were the ones that told me the items i was using were incorrect and should not be used like that. so to be safe i would buy a proper 32gb kit and sell on the old ones other than that just seng an email to kingston hyperx department. they were very quick to respond to me (less than 12 hours) and was also very helpful

Thanks man! what's their e-mail btw?

Spoiler

Thanks man!

no problem dude, im no expert when it comes to ram hence being sold half a 32gb kit :P but as i said your best bet is to contact hyper x they responded quickly to me and they were very helpful 

• CPU
    Intel i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1080 ti
  • Case
    Be Quiet Silent Base
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair AX860
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Be Quiet Dark Rock 3
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman Elite
  • Mouse
  • Sound

Thanks man! what's their e-mail btw?

http://www.kingston.com/en/hyperx follow the live chat or support features from there. they will probably ask for the item numbers etc of the kit that you are using

• CPU
    Intel i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Asus Strix GTX 1080 ti
  • Case
    Be Quiet Silent Base
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Corsair AX860
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Be Quiet Dark Rock 3
  • Keyboard
    Razer Huntsman Elite
  • Mouse
  • Sound