Media players-real home media center?

Piko

How come Linus never talks about devices like this-

asus_oplay.jpg

image ru

Basically I was thinking about getting one of those portable 2TB drives, organizing everything on them and just plugging them into this device so I can watch everything on my TV/other monitor.

But I was wondering, if you copy, let's say, 300 DVDs on the drive so you have folder like \DVD movies\movie_name\VIDEO_TS would this Media Player(or any other) be able to automatically detect the folder and play the movie or would I have to go to to individual movie files in the VIDEO_TS folders?

Also I think this would be perfect storage solution so you would have just 2 drives in your PC, 1 SSD and 1 HDD, and when you fill up the HDD you just copy it onto the new portable drive which you label and can plug at any time into the media player.

What do you think?

wow, not a single reply to anything...

wow, not a single reply to anything...
I use to have a similar device, netgear 2000 or something. a very long time ago. one thing you discover after a while is. Hdd fill up very quickly. And the answer the the video Ts question is, some do, the Asus I will say does not. Xbmc devices will however. Realistically you want to future proof your hardware options. Build yourself a nas or a home server, and a media centre. You don't want external hard drives plugged in everywhere.

also you can convert DVD files using xilisoft. If you wanted to decrease those video Ts files say from 4gb to 700mb.