Safe to Insert GPU without Case?

Go to solution Solved by Raffy98,

Even though the graphics card will be held in by the PCIE slot alone and the water cooler would be hanging over the side of the motherboard since neither of them have a place to be mounted?

I think as long as there is not much pressure in the graphics card to like... fall over and disconnect from the PCI-E slot and for the motherboard to fall off the desk (or what you have xD) you should be safe.

I saw Linus doing this on few Episodes of Ncix Tech Tips. :)

Linus often mentions in his build guides that you should always test the system on a motherboard box before going through the hassle of mounting it all inside of case. Since I currently need to troubleshoot issues with my system and want to test an old motherboard without having the mess of placing it in a case, would it be safe to just hookup everything?

More importantly, would it be safe to hook-up a graphics card (and connect it to a monitor) and the water cooler? Or would there be an issue? Thanks!

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

There would be no issues. In fact, it'd be easier on the card and motherboard since the card wouldn't be hanging.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Not at all

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

There would be no issues. In fact, it'd be easier on the card and motherboard since the card wouldn't be hanging.

Even though the graphics card will be held in by the PCIE slot alone and the water cooler would be hanging over the side of the motherboard since neither of them have a place to be mounted?

Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

It will still be fine.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

It'll be fine. Linus does this all the time. No worries!!

Still fine.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I think as long as there is not much pressure in the graphics card to like... fall over and disconnect from the PCI-E slot and for the motherboard to fall off the desk (or what you have xD) you should be safe.

I saw Linus doing this on few Episodes of Ncix Tech Tips. :)

Are you water cooling the graphics card? If the loop hasn't been assembled and tested, you will want to do that before preparing the graphics card for testing. In fact, I would test the card before preparing it for water cooling - if you take apart the card, water cool it, you may find the card doesn't function at all anyways. You have to disassemble that and put the air cooler back on. If you're using an AIO, same deal. Test the card before dismantling it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Are you water cooling the graphics card? If the loop hasn't been assembled and tested, you will want to do that before preparing the graphics card for testing. In fact, I would test the card before preparing it for water cooling - if you take apart the card, water cool it, you may find the card doesn't function at all anyways. You have to disassemble that and put the air cooler back on. If you're using an AIO, same deal. Test the card before dismantling it.

Nothing nearly that major. A mere 120mm CPU cooler*. If I had an actual loop I'd probably be a little silly to assume a GPU block could take heat away from the card if there wasn't anything to carry that heat... lol

*I could probably just shove my old stock cooler whilst I troubleshoot but I can't really remember where the plastic things that go at eacher side (mount?) are. I could easily just shove the water cooler mount in from behind and screw it in.