PC not waking from sleep properly

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/6ZCDVn

So, I've had this issue ever since i built this PC, and no members on multiple forums, Gigabyte, Microsoft or pretty much anyone I've consulted know what's causing it. When contacting Gigabyte, they just told me they couldn't replicate the issue and basically had no idea. 

The problem is that if i put my PC to sleep, leave it for more than a few minutes, when i come back it won't wake from sleep; it will either 'resume Windows', not wake at all and require me to fully hard restart. I've tried looking through power management options in the BIOS, in Windows and pretty much tried changing any setting I'm able to change. 

I do believe it is the motherboard causing the issue... Windows has been clean installed numerous times, the RAM has been checked with MemTest86+ through 10 passes (troubleshooting a different issue), the graphics card has been changed since, the power supply is more than enough for my current set-up (had a more power hungry card previously, hence the 600W), which only leaves the motherboard... All drivers are the latest revision, BIOS version is the latest.

As I'm not very good at explaining things to exact detail, i figured I'd just video the issue so you can see for yourself (sorry for the shit quality): 

https://youtu.be/pWtfwM192dw

Anyone got any ideas? I would really benefit from actually being able to put this thing to sleep...

Did you say that you'd installed the motherboard drivers sorry?

Did you say that you'd installed the motherboard drivers sorry?

Yep, all drivers are installed and the latest revision. 

Yep, all drivers are installed and the latest revision. 

That's an interesting one.

Have you fiddled around in the bios, tried changing all of the settings related to sleep?

That's an interesting one.

Have you fiddled around in the bios, tried changing all of the settings related to sleep?

Yep, that and everything in Windows that could possibly be related to it :(

Yep, that and everything in Windows that could possibly be related to it :(

I was gonna say it could be a wifi card but then I realised that you don't have one.

It's your MOBO. I have a few Family Members who own this MOBO for HTPC and when they fall asleep it'll go into sleep and randomly turn everything on, but no image then shut down and do that about 4-5 time before itll resume. Sometimes it won't even resume you'll just have to force shut it down

It may be worth checking the Windows Event Log for any critical errors or something. It might give us more clues as to exactly what happened. Make a note of the time where it crashes upon waking and then look in the Event Log for the time it crashed.

6Hj9f8K.png

@DotBowder

log.png

log2.png

That was at the time i tried to wake it for sleep, for the purpose of the video in the OP. 

It's your MOBO. I have a few Family Members who own this MOBO for HTPC and when they fall asleep it'll go into sleep and randomly turn everything on, but no image then shut down and do that about 4-5 time before itll resume. Sometimes it won't even resume you'll just have to force shut it down

Do you know of any way to prove it's the motherboard? Otherwise i don't think Gigabyte will assist me :/

That was at the time i tried to wake it for sleep, for the purpose of the video in the OP. 

Based on the log, I would suspect windows was still running in the background but is stalled or something. However, it appears to be doing various bootup things in the background.

Video to EventLog Comparison:
00:01 - Sleep Initiate
00:25 - Sleep Mode Complete
-- Broken Timeline --
00:34 - Power Button
00:44 - 17:39:50 - Windows Initialize
00:50 - 17:39:56 - Windows Logo Disappear (System still appears on)
01:19 - 17:40:25 - Power Button
01:23 - 17:40:29 - Windows Partially Initialized
01:35 - 17:40:42 - Windows Logon Appears
01:41 - 17:40:48 - Windows Logon Initialized
01:51 - 17:40:58 - Explorer.exe Open

Presuming I've got the timing correct, whatever brought the system back up happened between 17:40:23 and 17:40:28 when you pressed the power button. On the left side of the event viewer, select "Custom Views - Administrative Events" instead of System and see if anything occurred between 17:40:23 and 17:40:28

Based on the log, I would suspect windows was still running in the background but is stalled or something. However, it appears to be doing various bootup things in the background.

Video to EventLog Comparison:
00:01 - Sleep Initiate
00:25 - Sleep Mode Complete
-- Broken Timeline --
00:34 - Power Button
00:44 - 17:39:50 - Windows Initialize
00:50 - 17:39:56 - Windows Logo Disappear (System still appears on)
01:19 - 17:40:25 - Power Button
01:23 - 17:40:29 - Windows Partially Initialized
01:35 - 17:40:42 - Windows Logon Appears
01:41 - 17:40:48 - Windows Logon Initialized
01:51 - 17:40:58 - Explorer.exe Open

Presuming I've got the timing correct, whatever brought the system back up happened between 17:40:23 and 17:40:28 when you pressed the power button. On the left side of the event viewer, select "Custom Views - Administrative Events" instead of System and see if anything occurred between 17:40:23 and 17:40:28

In Administrative Events there was the same Critical Kernel-Power error at 17:40:00

In Administrative Events there was the same Critical Kernel-Power error at 17:40:00

Hmmm, this one may be a bit beyond my skills. 

I personally try to either keep my computer on or shut it down. With an HDD, that might be less realistic for you, but at least the issue can be side-stepped to some degree.

Hmmm, this one may be a bit beyond my skills. 

I personally try to either keep my computer on or shut it down. With an HDD, that might be less realistic for you, but at least the issue can be side-stepped to some degree.

Yeah, i wanted it sorted because i frequently leave my PC for say half an hour, and it's a pain to shut it down and power it back up, so it's not really practical. 

Never mind, i'll probably be upgrading the motherboard anyway which i think is the problem. 

Thanks anyway!