Vcore way hotter then CPU (non-overclocked)

Go to solution Solved by MichaelBP,

Well, I played around a little and I think i got it fixed, just did a bit of folding, the vcores is stil 10-12 degress hotter then the cpu, but maxed out at about 73 degress.

I let Corsair Link manage the radiator fans, while Thermal Radar is managing the chassie fans dependent on the vcore-1 temp. 

BUT, now my ASUS GTX 660TI starts coil whining the second it starts folding  :blink: ... back to testing  :huh:

Hi Guys, 

I'm a bit concerned, and I don't know to much about vcore's, mosfets etc., I just did my build with a ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R 2.0, AMD FX 8350 cooled by a Corsair h80i (in push/pull at the back of an Fractal Design R4 case)

I wanted to test the cpu and gpu today by doing a bit of Folding@home, but after a (short) while ASUS Thermal Radar started to act up, the Vcore sensores was reporting 80 degress centigrade, while the cpu was running 15 degress cooler. I know that 80 degress is about max, but why does the vcores get THAT HOT, while the cpu is just chilling?

In the motherboards defence, it is a very hot day, but still now at night there is a 13-16 degree diffrence. Should I be concerned, can I fix it? 

Thanks

FRACTAL DESIGN R4 / AMD FX 8350 / NVIDIA GTX 770 / ASUS SABERTOOTH FX990 R2

MacBook Pro (2011) w. Samsung 840 PRO & 16 GB Corsair Ram

vcore = voltage readout point that gives current core voltage of your cores

vrm = voltage distributing point of your cpu (and its also in gpu) 

vrm's get hot because they provide the power your cpu needs so simply it can get hot when you increase your overclock and vcore

and no in my vrms get 70's with no cooler on them on 3570k using 80w

try to undervolt your cpu if you cant and you are that worried put a fan near your h80i's pump

Edited by Levent

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

That board's power delivery should be good up to 130c+ for a short amount of time. dont do that though, increase your airflow. a lot!

Also try not to use more than one temp monitor program at a time. the sensors can give crazy numbers when polled too much.

That board's power delivery should be good up to 130c+ for a short amount of time. dont do that though, increase your airflow. a lot!

Also try not to use more than one temp monitor program at a time. the sensors can give crazy numbers when polled too much.

I'll might try to remove the pull-fan so the radiator and push fan aren't covering the mosfets as much, that might help? .. I think the reading's are fine (sadly), I'm only using Thermal Radar at this point, at they don't jump up and down.

I run rear intake and my rad is front mounted as intake too (top exhaust fans). I don't really need it but good thing I have that rear intake otherwise Id burn my self doing random temp checks.

Play around with your whole set up. You'll figure out exactly how to keep everything cool with some testing. It's not needed because that board will 'spread' the current in order to keep the temps down or somewhat under control...peace of mind though.

Play.....Play in the bios. Lots of stuff in there. DO research too. 

I run rear intake and my rad is front mounted as intake too (top exhaust fans). I don't really need it but good thing I have that rear intake otherwise Id burn my self doing random temp checks.

Play around with your whole set up. You'll figure out exactly how to keep everything cool with some testing. It's not needed because that board will 'spread' the current in order to keep the temps down or somewhat under control...peace of mind though.

Play.....Play in the bios. Lots of stuff in there. DO research too. 

Thanks, I'll try a couple of things when I wake up again, I also got the feeling that something was stopping the vcore from getting much over 80c, that made me feel a bit safer. 

What can I change in the bios that is not over/underclocking, but would still help? 

Thanks, I'll try a couple of things when I wake up again, I also got the feeling that something was stopping the vcore from getting much over 80c, that made me feel a bit safer. 

What can I change in the bios that is not over/underclocking, but would still help? 

Just do all of the research you can on bios settings.

If you don't want to take the time to learn every option your board has, you should leave it all on auto. (and it will be fine on auto)

Mostly focus on power options. Have a question about any setting? Google it. Someone else has already asked and had the question answered.

GL!

I still don't know how a vcore gets hot.

As I understand: Vcore/mosfets controlle the cpu's power delivery, so when the CPU is on load, i.e. strestested, the vcore also gets hot because the cpu uses more power, I hope this helps :)

Well, I played around a little and I think i got it fixed, just did a bit of folding, the vcores is stil 10-12 degress hotter then the cpu, but maxed out at about 73 degress.

I let Corsair Link manage the radiator fans, while Thermal Radar is managing the chassie fans dependent on the vcore-1 temp. 

BUT, now my ASUS GTX 660TI starts coil whining the second it starts folding  :blink: ... back to testing  :huh:

Chances are, your 660TI is folding also, if F@H is set to full, then it will also start using the GPU. This may cause coil whine on some cards. To stop it doing this, set it to Medium, and it will not use GPU.

As far as i'm aware, you cannot reduce / stop coil whine.

Your mosfets may be getting hot due to warm air flowing over it, your H80i is exhausting out of your case, right?

If that's the case, it might be best to have top fans as intakes, and fronts as intakes also. Then all the air is being pulled to your H80i an over the mosfets. This should also reduce CPU temperature a tiny bit too, but it'll force more cool air over your motherboard.

| CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.26v | GPU: AMD R9 290X @ 1090MHz |

| RAM: 2x4GB Samsung Green @ 2133MHz OC |

| PSU: Corsair RM850 | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | 

As I understand: Vcore/mosfets controlle the cpu's power delivery, so when the CPU is on load, i.e. strestested, the vcore also gets hot because the cpu uses more power, I hope this helps :)

oh i see what you meant, vcore is the amount of voltage that goes to the cpu, mosfets are what deliver the power and they get hot, under the heatsinks to the left of your cpu socket.

Chances are, your 660TI is folding also, if F@H is set to full, then it will also start using the GPU. This may cause coil whine on some cards. To stop it doing this, set it to Medium, and it will not use GPU.

As far as i'm aware, you cannot reduce / stop coil whine.

Your mosfets may be getting hot due to warm air flowing over it, your H80i is exhausting out of your case, right?

If that's the case, it might be best to have top fans as intakes, and fronts as intakes also. Then all the air is being pulled to your H80i an over the mosfets. This should also reduce CPU temperature a tiny bit too, but it'll force more cool air over your motherboard.

The weird part of the coil whine is that it was not coil whining yesterday while it was folding. Today I re-arranged the fans, powered up, started folding and ... *coil whine*

I got the CPU doing one folding job, and the GPU doing another, and it starts and stops as I starts and stop the GPU folding - independendt of what the CPU is doing.  

The h80i is exhausting yes, I think I'll take your advise, thinking of getting some propper fans anyway  :ph34r:

oh i see what you meant, vcore is the amount of voltage that goes to the cpu, mosfets are what deliver the power and they get hot, under the heatsinks to the left of your cpu socket.

Arr I see, I'm bit of a noob when it comes to the tech-lingo B) , and Thermal radar just labels it as VCore-01 and VCore-02, I see the confusion.