First PS4 Hardware Revision Quietly Released in Japan

Sharkyx1

Almost two years into the PS4's lifecycle, Sony has updated the console with a substantial revision that is not only cheaper to produce, but is also quieter and considerably more power-efficient. The new CUH-1200 revision is currently available only in Japan so unfortunately we can't test it directly, but much of the analysis we'd like to carry out has already been done by the Pocket News blog, and the results are fascinating.

ps4memory4.jpg

20141009_01.jpg

Let's talk about the physical make-up of the machine first. The changes extend way beyond the removal of the glossy plastics and a re-arrangement of the existing rear ports on the unit's exterior. On the inside, there's a new, smaller motherboard with a series of changes. Taking centre-stage is a reconfiguration of the GDDR5 memory set-up. Earlier incarnations of the PS4 used a considerable 16 memory modules to provide the 8GB complement - the new CUH-1200 makes use of double-density Samsung modules to halve that to just eight, which should reduce energy consumption significantly.

Jm4mZFo.jpg

The main processor within PS4 has received a new designation, perhaps suggesting some kind of change to its design, but its physical dimensions remain the same, confirming that it is still a 28nm chip. There remains the possibility that Sony may have moved onto a more efficient iteration of the 28nm process, but our gut feeling is that it's still the same chip at its core.

ps4memory3.jpg

And that's where the new CUH-1200 model really comes into its own. According to Pocket News's metrics, standby power is anything from 30 to 50 per cent lower (depending on mode) compared to the launch unit, while the main menu is around 11 per cent more efficient. Perhaps not surprisingly, the biggest gain comes during gameplay, where the launch unit draws 148.6W, while CUH-1200 brings that down to 122W - that's an 18 per cent drop, and actually brings PS4 power consumption down to the same approximate level as Xbox One.

So new PS4 reviision, double density ram, goodbye shiny plastic, lower power consumption and noise, probably some under the hood bug fixes too. I'd like to try to sell my 1000 for a new one, but it has PT so i'll probably keep it as long as i can. they shrunk the mobo a lot as the CPU is now inline with the USBs. Wonder why they wouldn't keep the memory on the face so it could be actively cooled, but i guess im no engineer at sony

ORIGINAL LINK

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-new-ps4-hardware-is-quieter-cooler-and-more-power-efficient-blog

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Damn. I've had mine less than a year. I just wished I didn't miss PT.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Looks nice. Me likey.

I would like to see a passively cooled ps4,but it would be too bulky ;(

And extremely impractical, since a lot of people probably shove these in a hole with very little to no airflow.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I would like to see a passively cooled ps4,but it would be too bulky ;(

Yeah like the other post says its probably not very practical, the PS4 uses about as much power as a 270X and you don't see to many passive 270s, the 750ti uses less than half the power

The other problem would be that it would need exposed fins, which aren't going to be loved by consumers and consistent air flow, plus the PS4 already likely runs quite warm

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Yeah like the other post says its probably not very practical, the PS4 uses about as much power as a 270X and you don't see to many passive 270s, the 750ti uses less than half the power

The other problem would be that it would need exposed fins, which aren't going to be loved by consumers and consistent air flow, plus the PS4 already likely runs quite warm

Ahem http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/342534-finished-full-passive-powerful-workstation-gaming-rig-who-said-it-cant-be-done/

Well fair enough it's not practical.. but possible xD

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube