USB Hub disadvantages?

shirokado
Go to solution Solved by SuperOwnJK,

I think latency is a slight issue with USB Hubs. Also some USB 2.0 devices plugged into a 3.0 port can cause issues. If I was you I'd plug keyboard(1), mouse(2), headset(3), Graphic tablet(4), External hard drive 2.0(5), USB Hub(6). Then Blu Ray and External Hard Drive 3.0 into the USB 3 ports, then everything else in usb hub.

EDIT: You can charge phones from USB Hub but it can charge slower. I'd get a powered USB Hub that you have to plug into the wall to supplement power. 

I'm running a MSI x79-GD45, which only has 6 USB2 ports and 2 USB 3 ports

Is there any disadvantage of using a USB hub?

here are the list of devices im plugging in

graphic tablet

g700s mouse

filco keyboard

wireless logitech keyboard(some 20 dollar thing)

corsair vengeance 2000

Micro USB cable(phone charger essentially)

500GB External hdd (Usb 2)

bluray drive(usb 3)

1tb external hdd(usb3)

is there any kind of performance decrease from using a USB hub?

which devices should i keep directly plugged into the motherboard?

i cant install any additional cards, i have 2 GTX780s and a sound card taking up all the available spots on this board.

also is there any problem plugging a USB 2 device into a USB 3 slot? cause if not i might as well just buy a USB 3 Hub

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

also is there any problem plugging a USB 2 device into a USB 3 slot? cause if not i might as well just buy a USB 3 Hub

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Charging things through a USB hub isn't recommended, and probably won't work. Plug your external HDDs, Blu-ray drive and charger cable into your mobo's USB ports. The rest should be fine to run off from the hub, but you might get some latency issues if you're doing some serious gaming. Try plug as many things as you can directly to your motherboard though, for the best performance. Anything that draws a lot of power should be plugged directly.

You should be able to put a USB 2 hub into a USB 3 slot and have it work perfectly fine, you'll just get lower speeds. 

EDIT: Correcting a bit

Wit is educated insolence.

I think latency is a slight issue with USB Hubs. Also some USB 2.0 devices plugged into a 3.0 port can cause issues. If I was you I'd plug keyboard(1), mouse(2), headset(3), Graphic tablet(4), External hard drive 2.0(5), USB Hub(6). Then Blu Ray and External Hard Drive 3.0 into the USB 3 ports, then everything else in usb hub.

EDIT: You can charge phones from USB Hub but it can charge slower. I'd get a powered USB Hub that you have to plug into the wall to supplement power. 

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB

Get a wall adapter for your phone and don't have external HDD's? And how the hell did you fit 2 780's and a sound card in a prodigy? There's no issue plugging a USB 2 d ice into a USB 3 port sometimes there is compatability issues but not often. As far as performance differences go it will be worse because your bandwidth will be split. If you get a adapter look at getting a powered one

USB 2 and 3 are compatible with each other,meaning that you can plug whatever version of USB into whatever version of USB, it's just that if you plug an USB 3 device in an USB 2 slot or vice-versa you will only get USB2 speeds.

As for the Hub basically you'd be better of buying an USB 3 one [and plug it into a corresponding port] if you really need one. The problem is that basically the speed will be as many times slower as many USB ports do you have on the hub. You should let plugged in into the motherboard the things that you know you'll use often and will actually really need to take advantage on the increased speed (I'd say the external HDDs, the graphic tablet and one mouse and keyboard). 

Also for charging your devices you could use the front USB ports on your case [i suppose you have some].

oh so there is latency issues. hm i guess the setup you thought of seems pretty good i guess.

also i know direct USB charging is slower, but its better for the battery in longterm

Get a wall adapter for your phone and don't have external HDD's? And how the hell did you fit 2 780's and a sound card in a prodigy? There's no issue plugging a USB 2 d ice into a USB 3 port sometimes there is compatability issues but not often. As far as performance differences go it will be worse because your bandwidth will be split. If you get a adapter look at getting a powered one

The prodigy build in my signature is not my main build, it is my favorite build. what does a powered up do, is there any benefit?

and charging via computer usb is better for my phone's battery longterm. well i guess i can just use the tablet cable since its both micro usb

Well if your plugging in devices that draw power then it will be needed because a usb port will not be able to supply enough power to the devices.

Some devices might not be recognized by windows if they are connected through hub. Phone will get enough power to recharge but not be recognized. This with my S2. I haven't noticed any issues with latency. Only game controller need replugging. You should get hub that takes power from wall also.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@shirokado Fancy marking my post as answered question? 

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB