Buying a phone off contract?

legend8887

People buy phones off contract and then go to AT&T or someone like that to get service. They do that because they're not stuck in a contract. However, they're still using AT&T or whatever so aren't they still kind of in a contract?

Depends... Pay monthly or pay as you go, usually isn't on a contract basis no. However, sim-only contract deals are. It's usually pretty clear whether or not it will be a contract, as it will say '12 month contract', '24 month contract' etc. 

People buy phones off contract and then go to AT&T or someone like that to get service. They do that because they're not stuck in a contract. However, they're still using AT&T or whatever so aren't they still kind of in a contract?

It depends on what you mean by off contract. If you buy an unlocked phone that means you can use that phone with any carrier but it's going to cost alot. If you buy a phone that is AT&T supported but you're not buying a new contract, usually you have to be an existing customer to get the phone at $200 or something, in  which case it would be considered upgrade.

No, they're only using the carrier for their service. No physical contract was signed, and there is no cancellation fee to leave.

"Rawr XD"

I did this for virgin mobile. It's called bring your own phone. Usually good plans, that give same features as contract phones, but for less. It's also usually less than pay as you go plans too. My payg plan was 45$\month for unlimited text, 300mb data, and 200min talk. My new byop plan is also $45/month, but unlimited everything, and 2gb of data.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit