how/what to buy

ricmetal

hey guys

a person wanting to decrease the temprature of their pc, how would he or she go about even starting to know what fan is needed? or if water or air cooling should be used? is it a matter of buying a cooler and checking the pc temp, returning the cooler if the tempo didn't change that much, and buying a better one? is rpm better than multiple fans?

my pc is in the acceptable temp but just in case i need to reduce the temp, id like to know where to start with the cooling aspect.

thanks!

Give us more information;

- CPU?

- Current Heatsink?

- Photo of the Case (inside)?

Maybe there's no need to buy anything and just some cleaning and cable management is needed

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

hey guys

a person wanting to decrease the temprature of their pc, how would he or she go about even starting to know what fan is needed? or if water or air cooling should be used? is it a matter of buying a cooler and checking the pc temp, returning the cooler if the tempo didn't change that much, and buying a better one? is rpm better than multiple fans?

my pc is in the acceptable temp but just in case i need to reduce the temp, id like to know where to start with the cooling aspect.

thanks!

First, my way of seeing it is fit as many fans your case allows and see what RPMs are comfortable for you. Always having more fans than few at higher RPMs, better performance and acoustics, cooler, depends on what CPU you got and what you wanna do. For mid overclocking a hyper 212 evo or cryorig H7 are fine, for pushing the CPU, double rad AIO or dual tower heatsink. If you got a high end CPU you want to get a double rad or dual tower heatsink anyway. There are many subjects here, i'd do separate threads for each (Fans, Cooler, airflow config)

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

is it a matter of buying a cooler and checking the pc temp, returning the cooler if the tempo didn't change that much, and buying a better one?

ha ha, sound like something I would totally do.

There are a lot of aspects to go about cooling starting with something you don't have to pay like opening a window or making sure there are no airflow restricionts and ending with exotic sub-ambient cooling.

Jay did a great video on this:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

if you dont like the noise then get a hyper 212 evo but other wise there is no point in getting better cooling because you cant overclock

btw, my case has what is looks like a double-fan-"sized" grid/air entrance on the side.

That's a spot for a 240mm water cooling radiator. You can put fans there but I'd leave it alone unless you absolutely need to

CPU is a i5-4590

the heatsink is the original that came with the processor

I would also definitely recommend getting a new CPU heatsink (cooling system). Intel CPUs don't run too hot and have a pretty high tj. Max but cooler = more performance with less risk of overheating and BSODs. Besides, you can never be too cool. B)

Water cooling is only necessary if its specific parts that need the cooling such as the CPU or GPU. If its the tower as a whole that's getting the bad temps get some case fans and mount them to create a path of airflow. When using case fans check the arrows on them. That'll tell you which way the air is being pushed. Set it up where you have an intake in the front low and side if you want and the exhaust in the back up top. Just my opinion. ;) Good luck with your temps!

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

thanks. i might get a fan in the front to create a better air flow.

what about a heatsink for my processor. will any cpu fan fit or do i have to look at the specifications of the motherboard and find one that fits accordingly?

what about a heatsink for my processor. will any cpu fan fit or do i have to look at the specifications of the motherboard and find one that fits accordingly?

You need one that has the right mounting hardware for your specific socket. In this case for the i5-4590 you'd need an LGA 1150 supported heatsink. I would suggest either the Hyper 212 EVO or the Hyper D92. Both have support for it and are both great at keeping even hot AMD CPUs cool.

Christian 

Rig Specs:

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

But note that, like @spartaman64 said, you won't be able to overclock your CPU since its not an unlockable. So just find a heatsink that will keep it a bit below the Tj. Max at 100% load (find this out by running an intel burn test) and then use that.

Christian 

Rig Specs: