Is it my ISP or my wireless router?

MuffinsOfGump

Hey everyone, recently, the Wifi in my home disconnects and reconnects from all devices. Do you guys know if it is my ISP doing this (we've had significant trouble with them previously) or is my router (also had a little trouble with in the past). Thanks everyone

Hey everyone, recently, the Wifi in my home disconnects and reconnects from all devices. Do you guys know if it is my ISP doing this (we've had significant trouble with them previously) or is my router (also had a little trouble with in the past). Thanks everyone

based off the info your giving its not enough to say which, i mean it could be either, have you made sure the connections outside the home are good as well?

Its a Championship not a Belt!

once everything disconnects login to your router page and see how long it says its been connected for, this will tell you if its the internet or the router.

so if it says the uptime is like below but everything has disconnected its the router, but if the uptime has reset its the internet 

4de54209ae9294d8fbb0e5df206754ca.png

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

If you are actually being disconnected from the WiFi, and not just losing internet connection but maintaining WiFi connection, then it is likely your router. Now, if you have one of those modem/router combos from your ISP, then you still have to go through them. If you have your own router then see if you're still having problems when wired directly to it.

When in doubt, re-format.

If you are actually being disconnected from the WiFi, and not just losing internet connection but maintaining WiFi connection, then it is likely your router. Now, if you have one of those modem/router combos from your ISP, then you still have to go through them. If you have your own router then see if you're still having problems when wired directly to it.

There is nothing about uptime in my router settings, but I do know that wired connections maintain connection when the wireless goes down.

There is nothing about uptime in my router settings, but I do know that wired connections maintain connection when the wireless goes down.

than its your router.

Its a Championship not a Belt!

So its your router.

Alright, thank you for solving this for me :) now can you guys recommend me a good router? With a budget around 150 CAD?

Have you already tried doing a full hard reset and/or firmware update on the router first? That may be a good first step before rushing out to buy a new router.

As far as recommendations go, what devices are you using on WiFi (gaming, netflix or just casual browsing), how many different things at once, how big is the area it needs to cover?

When in doubt, re-format.

Have you already tried doing a full hard reset and/or firmware update on the router first? That may be a good first step before rushing out to buy a new router.

As far as recommendations go, what devices are you using on WiFi (gaming, netflix or just casual browsing), how many different things at once, how big is the area it needs to cover?

Yes I have tried the resets, I'm fairly sure it's a hardware failure on the router now. And I do a lot of gaming, live with 3 more people in the house, and they mostly use it for Netflix. I'm the only one who uses it extensively