Is this power supply okay?

Go to solution Solved by tomas710,

I would have seen this sooner but no internet as my house was getting whitewashed(sorry).

Firstly, to all who are either talking about comparing costs, I actually live in India and all of this is going to cost me much more than listed on Amazon.com's website, so let's not get into that cause I would go on a rant worse than Linus' about how expensive this stuff is in my country and how hard it is to be any kind of gamer, let alone PC(PC Mater race for life, though)

I wish  could consider any other brand but Corsair is the only major company that offers all their PSU line-up in India- another drawback, too few choices.

oh come on, Corsair RM series are silence optimised, are fully modular and are 80 plus gold efficient. What's wrong with them?

Also the question is answered, I only wanted to know if a 550w power supply would be enough or not. :P

That PSU is fine, but in american and european markets there are better and cheaper options. It's not perfect but it will work perfectly fine, i'll leave the review at jonny guru on the 650W version, the conclusion is the most important

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=363

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4KVgf7

this is my final build. simple question- Is the rm550 power supply that i have chosen enough or should i go for the rm650?  I don't have any plans of crossfire or adding anything apart from maybe a hdd in a year or two?

if there's no risk, then i would like to think that 550 is enough

Linus's voice was annoyingly hellish for atleast the first 50 videos that i watched

dont go corsair, corsair psus suck. 550 gold is enough for your system, but go with something like the coolermaster v550 or the evga gs 550, they are much better because they have japanese capacitors and evga has better warranty and custommer support.

also if youre only gaming you dont need 16gb of ram, go with 8 and maybe buy a better case?

dont go corsair, corsair psus suck. 550 gold is enough for your system, but go with something like the coolermaster v550 or the evga gs 550, they are much better because they have japanese capacitors and evga has better warranty and custommer support.

thats so incorrect, corsair make some of the best psus, but the low end ones are crap i agree there.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

this is my final build. simple question- Is the rm550 power supply that i have chosen enough or should i go for the rm650?  I don't have any plans of crossfire or adding anything apart from maybe a hdd in a year or two?

for ram bro dont get the vengeance, its stupidly tall, get corsair vengeance lp, or you may have issues with the ram slots and the cooler,16gbs of ram is a   good choice also, dont go down to 8.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

For 102$ that RM550 is extremely Overpriced, you can grab a MUCH better Supernova G2 or XTR unit for that amount, or a V650/750 for less.

i would avoid most things from Corsair-CWT, only would go corsair-Seasonic or Corsair-Flextronics.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

For 102$ that RM550 is extremely Overpriced, you can grab a MUCH better Supernova G2 or XTR unit for that amount, or a V650/750 for less.

i would avoid most things from Corsair-CWT, only would go corsair-Seasonic or Corsair-Flextronics.

agree get the evga g2.

thats so incorrect, corsair make some of the best psus, but the low end ones are crap i agree there.

yes but the better corsair psus like the ax series are so overpriced you can get the evga g2 series wich has similiar or better reviews, costs less, better warranty and better customer support.

yes but the better corsair psus like the ax series are so overpriced you can get the evga g2 series wich has similiar or better reviews, costs less, better warranty and better customer support.

but you said corsair psus suck? you basically meant all of them.

you didnt say,  "some" of them suck, low end psus are going to suck, theyre not gonna be amazing, thats why theyre for budget builds.

Get this one, it's better and cheaper. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220gs0650v1

And as @mata-pombos said, EVGA has better warranty and support.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

If you're just gaming, I'd recommend you save some money and stepping down to 8GB of RAM. If you don't plan to SLI, 550w is PLENTY. Go for this PSU instead. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220gs0550v1 It's $77 or $57 if you choose to do the MIR.

On the discussion of Corsair PSUs. Their low tier one's are pretty bad but their higher end ones are basically the same as Seasonic which is arguably the top 1 or 2 PSU manufacturers. Pricing is similar among this group too.

but you said corsair psus suck? you basically meant all of them.

you didnt say,  "some" of them suck, low end psus are going to suck, theyre not gonna be amazing, thats why theyre for budget builds.

all corsair psus suck, low end corsair psus suck because of poor qualty, high end suck because of the price. and there are good budget psus from evga and antec.

Oh boy if only Corsair "made" the PSUs.... in reality they are literally ALL overpriced and you can find better for less money...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

EVGA's 550W GS series is better than the RM for less money my friend.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 3 weeks later...

I would have seen this sooner but no internet as my house was getting whitewashed(sorry).

Firstly, to all who are either talking about comparing costs, I actually live in India and all of this is going to cost me much more than listed on Amazon.com's website, so let's not get into that cause I would go on a rant worse than Linus' about how expensive this stuff is in my country and how hard it is to be any kind of gamer, let alone PC(PC Mater race for life, though)

I wish  could consider any other brand but Corsair is the only major company that offers all their PSU line-up in India- another drawback, too few choices.

all corsair psus suck, low end corsair psus suck because of poor qualty, high end suck because of the price. and there are good budget psus from evga and antec.

oh come on, Corsair RM series are silence optimised, are fully modular and are 80 plus gold efficient. What's wrong with them?

Also the question is answered, I only wanted to know if a 550w power supply would be enough or not. :P

Linus's voice was annoyingly hellish for atleast the first 50 videos that i watched

And thanks to everyone who replied  :D  

evga gs series are silent, fully modular, 80 plus gold AND they are cheaper, better warranty, better customer support, better capacitors, just so you know. But rm series arent bad quality, i just think that you can get a better psu for the price

evga gs series are silent, fully modular, 80 plus gold AND they are cheaper, better warranty, better customer support, better capacitors, just so you know. But rm series arent bad quality, i just think that you can get a better psu for the price

India is a completely different market, as far as we know EVGA, seasonic and CM are not available or much more expensive

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

That PSU is fine, but in american and european markets there are better and cheaper options. It's not perfect but it will work perfectly fine, i'll leave the review at jonny guru on the 650W version, the conclusion is the most important

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

this is very good. I will look around for any other PSU brand cause almost everyone is recommending not buying it until absolutely necessary. But if i can't find any other brand like EVGA, CM or seasonic then i might have to go for this one itself