Do save game files really contain everything?

minimoose

So I own Witcher 3 on GOG and I'm going to be reinstalling it on my new SSD and I'm having a hard time believing that one 60KB file contains ALL of my 50+ hours of progression and that if I just copy the files into the new directory everything will be the same.

Does it really work like that?

If you don't wish to copy your save, sure be my guest. But yes that 60kb file contains your save. 

It doesn't contain 50+ hours of progression. It contains the state of yourself and the world after 50+ hours of choices and gameplay.

But yeah, it's the same thing basically, and you ought to copy it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Basically is a preset for a world and whatever is going on.Is nothing but a config

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

So I own Witcher 3 on GOG and I'm going to be reinstalling it on my new SSD and I'm having a hard time believing that one 60KB file contains ALL of my 50+ hours of progression and that if I just copy the files into the new directory everything will be the same.

Does it really work like that?

All that save file is, is basically a database entry that contains all the choices you made, list of equipment and stats, and current game location and game state.

It's all basically just text entries. Nothing special. No graphics or anything are stored in a game save file.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

All that save file is, is basically a database entry that contains all the choices you made, list of equipment and stats, and current game location and game state.

It's all basically just text entries. Nothing special. No graphics or anything are stored in a game save file.

Basically is a preset for a world and whatever is going on.Is nothing but a config

It doesn't contain 50+ hours of progression. It contains the state of yourself and the world after 50+ hours of choices and gameplay.

But yeah, it's the same thing basically, and you ought to copy it.

If you don't wish to copy your save, sure be my guest. But yes that 60kb file contains your save. 

I'm of course going to copy it, it just boggles my mind for some reason and wanted to confirm I understoof correctly.

I'm of course going to copy it, it just boggles my mind for some reason and wanted to confirm I understoof correctly.

Some games have larger file sizes (1MB for example), but even that is slightly large. If the size is bloated and large, it's because the devs were inefficient in their save-game design.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Some games have larger file sizes (1MB for example), but even that is slightly large. If the size is bloated and large, it's because the devs were inefficient in their save-game design.

Ok, it's a good system too, because you can copy and store then easily.

I believe it does contain all the info you need, but double check for folders in documents, appdata or those kind of folders, just to be sure yknow