Help with my Cisco Catalyst 3560 Switch

Hello, I recently encountered the problem that my switch was limiting my network, please help me.

I get 150mb/s when I directly connect the computer to the modem, but when I use the switch in-between, I only get about 95. I don't know what is causing this problem, but it would be greatly appreciated if you had any ideas, or and suggestions. I will try anything to make this thing faster (Within Reason). As the setup goes, I have the modem directly connected to the switch, and the computer hooked up to the switch as well. When I have the computer directly connected to the modem the speeds are up to almost 170 mb/s, but when it is as I previously described, the speeds are significantly slower, and it is just incredibly frustrating. Please help me. I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks, Peter

I don't use switches, Instead of switches I use routers.

Maybe try a router instead of a switch and see if the speed increases

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Thats a nice ass switch tho

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Hello, I recently encountered the problem that my switch was limiting my network, please help me.

I get 150mb/s when I directly connect the computer to the modem, but when I use the switch in-between, I only get about 95. I don't know what is causing this problem, but it would be greatly appreciated if you had any ideas, or and suggestions. I will try anything to make this thing faster (Within Reason). As the setup goes, I have the modem directly connected to the switch, and the computer hooked up to the switch as well. When I have the computer directly connected to the modem the speeds are up to almost 170 mb/s, but when it is as I previously described, the speeds are significantly slower, and it is just incredibly frustrating. Please help me. I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks, Peter

Hi

The 3560 will have 10/100 ports (Unless its a 3560G),  if you have the 24 port version then you do have 2  10/100/1000  SFP ports to use, The 48 port verison have 4X 10/100/1000 ports.

For you to make use of theses Gigabit ports on your switch you will need a Cisco (or cisco compatible) GLC-T module

Ebay example of GLC-T module: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLC-T-1000BASE-T-100-Cisco-Compatible-5-Year-warranty-SAME-DAY-SHIPPING-RoHS-/141404022690?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ec5627a2

Fibrestore (compatible) module: http://www.fiberstore.com/new-cisco-glc-t-compatible-1000base-tx-sfp-transceiver-module-p-11773.html

Fibrestore are cheeper and we use these in our datacentre on Catalyst 6500, 6800 and ASR-9k routers with out issues so can 99% garantee they would work in a 3560.

Short answer is you cant get above 95Mbs because your connecting though 100mbs port.  So the phisical fabric is limiting you. If you use the GLC-T modules then you will get the 170Mbs your after

Hope this helps mate!

Edit:  I see you must have got the IOS upgrade sorted that with the Config I sent you ?

Unfortuanlty this is not the answer to the problem.  Switches and Routers are different things the fact that the switch and router are different would not increase speed.

the problem is because he is on 10/100 Mbs ports and he needs 1000Mbs ports :)

Unfortuanlty this is not the answer to the problem.  Switches and Routers are different things the fact that the switch and router are different would not increase speed.

the problem is because he is on 10/100 Mbs ports and he needs 1000Mbs ports :)

I confused switches with hubs

Edit:  I see you must have got the IOS upgrade sorted that with the Config I sent you ?

Actually, I was just about to do that to see if it would help, but seeing it won't, I probably wont do it. But thank you so much for the support and the much needed help, I greatly appreciate it. Sadly I would need more than two gigabit ports :( In fact, I'd need seven. Is there any switch you'd recommend for my problem?

Actually, I was just about to do that to see if it would help, but seeing it won't, I probably wont do it. But thank you so much for the support and the much needed help, I greatly appreciate it. Sadly I would need more than two gigabit ports :( In fact, I'd need seven. Is there any switch you'd recommend for my problem?

Well, if your not bothered about it being cisco then just get hold of a 24port gigabit switch. Any brand thats well known, IE Netgear, TPlink, 3com, Cisco, HP.  If you know you will only ever need 7 ports then you could go for any dumb 8 port gigabit desktop switch.  My recomendation here would depend on the type of features you would like your switch to perfom.  Could you give me a list of things you need the switch to do?  IE QoS, Port mirroring, Vlans etc etc.

WTF you on about? Routers are pretty bad for any kindof switching. And good luck finding a 24 port routers...

Comb it with a brick

Well, if your not bothered about it being cisco then just get hold of a 24port gigabit switch. Any brand thats well known, IE Netgear, TPlink, 3com, Cisco, HP.  If you know you will only ever need 7 ports then you could go for any dumb 8 port gigabit desktop switch.  My recomendation here would depend on the type of features you would like your switch to perfom.  Could you give me a list of things you need the switch to do?  IE QoS, Port mirroring, Vlans etc etc.

I'd probably just use a dumb switch. I don't need anything "smart".