Macbook vs Windows Laptop

Prince32780
Go to solution Solved by Redsun20,

Well, why not the XPS 13? You can afford the top of the line one, and it actually has ports on it (HEM HEM MACBOOK!!!)

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?oc=dncwt5132b&model_id=xps-13-9343-laptop

Hey, I will be purchasing a new laptop for school very soon .

My workload consists mostly of typing documents, and programming as well as binge watching netflix and playing some light games.

I'm upgrading from a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2, which I love. 

It's thin, light and lasts ~5 hours when watching shows & it doesn't feel sluggish at all with the i7 4500u and the flash storage is plenty fast as well.

I can play League of Legends @ 60fps vysnc with medium high graphics. I am not a pro gamer by any means.

I would prefer if my laptop were equally as thin and light, but I would be willing to sacrifice a little if it meant the battery would last longer.

Ideally ~9 hours of battery life.

Preferred specs:

- intel i7 quad core

- decent graphics, anything better than intel hd 4400, iris graphics are a plus

- 8 gb of ram minimum, 16 would be nice, 32 is overkill

- decently fast ssd with at least 512 gb of storage

- qhd ips display, I love the 3200x1800 display on the yp2

I would like to be able to run linux, I own 230 steam games, but I don't really play any of them on my laptop.

I have a nice desktop for that.

I'm considering getting a Macbook because of the nice screen, trackpad and above average keyboard which is very important.

I also have an iPhone so sending and receiving iMessages will be nice, but it's not a priority.

The YP2 was purchased for $1350

My budget is ~$1500 - $1750

Keep in mind, I live in Canada.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

In my words macbooks dont have enough ports with out enough money and windows laptops at least have ports

Don't get the MacBook. It gets hot watching Netflix never mind even light games; as much as the Mac fan inside of me wants to recommended it, i just can't for your use....

Why even upgrade from the Lenovo Yoga 2 if it does everything you need/want?

Well, why not the XPS 13? You can afford the top of the line one, and it actually has ports on it (HEM HEM MACBOOK!!!)

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?oc=dncwt5132b&model_id=xps-13-9343-laptop

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

I don't even have to read it MacBook.

Yeah the XPS 13 is pretty good but I dont think it will be able to support his gaming "needs"

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Don't get the MacBook. It gets hot watching Netflix never mind even light games; as much as the Mac fan inside of me wants to recommended it, i just can't for your use....

Why even upgrade from the Lenovo Yoga 2 if it does everything you need/want?

My sister wanted a thin and light laptop. It was perfect for her.

I might as well get the same thing, just wondering if there was anything better out after a year.

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Yoga 2.

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Yeah the XPS 13 is pretty good but I dont think it will be able to support his gaming "needs"

Well, it will be far better than a Macbook :)

And anyway, it is more powerfull than the previous laptop anyway, so if he could do it on there, he can most certainly do it on here

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

I might as well get the same thing, just wondering if there was anything better out after a year.

Yoga 3 perhaps? 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Yoga 2.

Did you not, read? He already had that and wants something new

Hey, -snip- 

The 13" Macbook pro (i7) isn't a bad choice, I have the older model and couldn't be happier. 

The only issue with the new Macbooks is the max is 512GB storage... I have a 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD setup in mine, but it sounds like you want the better screen from the retina model... 

If it was me buying it again, I would pick the old 13" (non retina) model, and load it with a 1TB hard drive, then adding an SSD to it using this as a guide. 

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Early+2011+Dual+Hard+Drive/8529

I currently have windows 10 running in boot camp, so don't think that just because you buy a mac, the only OS option is OSX (cause its great at some stuff, and total crap at others.) 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233059

i7 with an 870m, a decent pair with 8 GB ram and ssd + hdd

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

In that case.... I'd either just get another one, because if it works for you and you love it why change it anyway, right? Or, 

In that case.... I'd either just get another one, because if it works for you and you love it why change it anyway, right? Or, 

He said he wanted something with more battery life, that is why he wanted a new one. I almost missed that :P

Did you not, read? He already had that and wants something new

Reason I said that was,becasue I was wondering why don't he just use the Yoga 2 he already have.

I read the reply to why after posting that

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Yes, the XPS 13 seems promising. I'm reading more about it now.

Gaming isnt too important to me.

Just watch this:

Yeah it will be able to play some games (League isnt too demanding) but not on very high settings ect.

I am looking for a laptop/ultrabook atm and the XPS 13 is very very appealing. Probably the best competitor to the Macbook Air currently and with great specs and battery life.

Keep in mind though with the UHD+ Infinity display, the battery life will probably get drained a little bit more compared to the 1080p XPS 13

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834233059

i7 with an 870m, a decent pair with 8 GB ram and ssd + hdd

Yeah but that laptop has like 4 hours battery life.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
Case:

Yeah it will be able to play some games (League isnt too demanding) but not on very high settings ect.

I am looking for a laptop/ultrabook atm and the XPS 13 is very very appealing. Probably the best competitor to the Macbook Air currently and with great specs and battery life.

Keep in mind though with the UHD+ Infinity display, the battery life will probably get drained a little bit more compared to the 1080p XPS 13

Yes, I think I will be getting this one, unless I see something better within a week. 

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Macbook Pro? Still pretty light, thin, powerful, and has PORTS.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

In case you haven't realized, that's the normal Macbook, not Macbook Pro/Air...

I know, it was a joke

Just a follow up for anyone following.

I went over my budget a little and got a new Macbook Pro 15"

The PCIe flash storage does 730 read and write which is ridiculous and there's 512 gb of storage

16 gb of ram, a beautiful display, switches between the iris graphics and gtx 750m automatically to save battery

I get around 8 hours

OS X is beautiful and the iMessages and Calendar integration with my phone is...

.. Magical ..

Not bad for $2100