Direct Host to Host network

Judahnator
Go to solution Solved by P1X3,

Thanks a ton! I will definitely look into that.

Would this be possible using Fiber? I see no reason it wouldnt work, but it would be nice to use.

Don't see a reason why it wouldn't work since it is just a network interface.

The company I work for is getting new servers, and we would like to equip them all with 10Gb/s network cards.

We will expand a bit later, but is there any way to run direct fiber connections (we will be using sfp+ cards) between two hosts?

Each host has a 1Gb/s uplink, but for file sharing or whatever (some that are 200GB+) between them we dont want to saturate our internet-facing connection.

How can i configure the servers (all run Debian) to talk directly with each-other?

Thanks in advance!

~Judah

This is sort-of what I was doing when needed a fast direct connection between two failover cluster nodes, but I used two additional ethernet ports available on the server.

It was pretty straight forward actually, other than needing to use crossover cable. Assign static ip (no gateway or dns) to both hosts from same but unused (by other interfaces) subnet.  Edit hosts file so that server1 looks for server2 it will go for direct connection instead of the one that is routed.

In my setup with file replication and sql high availability, packets communication between the servers is done using host-to-host connection. Of-course this is windows, but my assumption would be that debian would act similarly.

This is sort-of what I was doing when needed a fast direct connection between two failover cluster nodes, but I used two additional ethernet ports available on the server.

It was pretty straight forward actually, other than needing to use crossover cable. Assign static ip (no gateway or dns) to both hosts from same but unused (by other interfaces) subnet.  Edit hosts file so that server1 looks for server2 it will go for direct connection instead of the one that is routed.

In my setup with file replication and sql high availability, packets communication between the servers is done using host-to-host connection. Of-course this is windows, but my assumption would be that debian would act similarly.

Would this be possible using Fiber? I see no reason it wouldnt work, but it would be nice to use.

~Judah

Don't see a reason why it wouldn't work since it is just a network interface.

Don't see a reason why it wouldn't work since it is just a network interface

Many thanks, now the wait for the higher-ups to authorize paying for the hardware. That is out of my hands though

~Judah