Futuremark Peacekeeper now discontinued July 29 - Web browsers are fast enougth

GoodBytes

Futuremark announces in a statement that it will now discontinue Peacekeeper. It will still be accessible for the time being, but it will no longer be maintained.

The reason for this, the company says, is that they say that with the release of Windows 10, they obverse that all web browsers are fast enough, including on phones, and that now the market has shifted to feature instead of speed. Making a web browser faster only results in trivial speed increase the company says, hence why it is no longer the focus.

Peacekeeper is a universal browser benchmark for measuring JavaScript performance. More than seven and a half million people have tested their browsers and mobile devices with Peacekeeper since its release in 2009. But today, competition between browsers has largely shifted from speed to features.

Modern browsers are typically fast enough on a wide range of hardware, and the differences in speed in everyday use are trivial. A browser's features, extensions, and memory use are now much more likely to be the deciding factors reducing the relevance of pure JavaScript performance benchmarks.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/214533/futuremark-peacekeeper-to-be-discontinued.html

Interesting that discontinue this product the day of Windows 10 is released. This could be due to Microsoft new Edge web browser catching up to the speed of Firefox and Chrome. Seeing that now Mozilla is playing catch-up to Edge web browser, with features like "Pocket" which competes with "Reading list" of Edge, Firefox working on it's own "read mode", like what Edge has now, and Firefox beta is FINALLY high-DPI supported. And that Chrome is trying to slowly improve it's CPU usage, and that Edge will soon after extension support using the same technology as Firefox extension and Chrome extensions, it is very true that the war on speed has clearly ended. And now it is about feature and about providing the best web experience.

What do you think?

Every since Chrome first came out +major updates I didn't really care about browser speed. Was irrelevant at that point.

Now when I got a Macbook I only use Safari. Reason being that other browsers are so very hungry compared to Safari on OS X.

I get a lot more battery life using Safari where as hours are shaved off using Chrome.

I think it is good they shifted away from speed. Should focus on usability, features and stability. 

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Chrome master race. 

It may not be the Abousulte fastest

might not be the lightest 

but the ecosystem is just to good.

Total BS. Something stinks here...why woudn't they wait Edge to become a little more mature so it can beat chrome at every test? I mean...traffic for them, right?

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Every since Chrome first came out +major updates I didn't really care about browser speed. Was irrelevant at that point.

Now when I got a Macbook I only use Safari. Reason being that other browsers are so very hungry compared to Safari on OS X.

I get a lot more battery life using Safari where as hours are shaved off using Chrome.

I think it is good they shifted away from speed. Should focus on usability, features and stability.

well Chrome is very CPU hungry. They decided to go max speed no matter what, so, sure technically speaking it is the fastest web browser (Although Edge is questioning this...at least on the JavaScript side), but now we are in a mobile world, and as you perfectly noticed, battery life is critical. From benchmark, while Safari was not reviewed, neither Edge as it was not out yet, and still not officially out at the moment of this post, IE11 was the best on battery life, then followed by Firefox, then Opera, and then Chrome being the worst with considerable margins.

It would be interesting to see how the market share shift over the years.

I know I will probably switch to Edge once extension support arrived to it, because it will have everything I want from Firefox + smooth scrolling and zooming + multi-touch support, and I know that my bookmarks will be synced between devices like Firefox.

Chrome master race. 

It may not be the Abousulte fastest

might not be the lightest 

but the ecosystem is just to good.

Overclocked a laptop display to 120Hz and a simple scroll demolish Chrome right now using Edge.

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....